• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A Quiet Place

TVs Frink said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
is there a deleted scene where they have sex without making noise?

So many jokes...

But so little time! Quick,  everybody make as many as you possibly can right now!

A Quiet Place (2018)
I knew I wasn't going to able to enjoy this film. I'd heard that you needed to not think too hard about the logic, so I really tried but the inconsistencies of everything were impossible to ignore. The use of audio jump-scares and Non-diegetic tension music and soundFX is lazy and sloppy. The whole soundmix is also very poor handled, with no attention paid to the relative volumes of anything, rendering sounds meaningless because things only make noises when the plot needs them to. The creatures are indestructible... except when they are easily killed and they hear every sound you make... except when they don't. It was almost laughable. The family are such utter dumb-asses that it made sympathising with their plight difficult. Given the intense danger of their predicament it's almost as if they are trying to make as much noise as possible and taking no care to prevent noise from occurring, by action, or by planning.

What might have been a great concept feels compromised in execution and insulting to the viewers intelligence. Just one example being the nonsensical upturned nail in the middle of a step that the family have already painted to mark it as being safe. I'm sure the filmmakers must have had a "our target audience are popcorn munching idiots so we don't need to try" attitude. Every single second could've been filled with unbearable tension if the characters truly were trying to not make sound. Did I miss the explanation of how they have electricity and in such an inexhaustible supply that they can afford to light up their farm inside and out, round the clock, like a Christmas tree? The story ends at a pretty much random point, mid-scene, in order to setup sequels, so it's a bit of a waste of time seeing this first entry until those films are in the can. On the plus side, all the performances are strong and it looks nicely shot.

13-minutes doesn't even begin to cover it:

By the way, I've heard this compared to 'Tremors' which is one of the best Horror scripts ever. In that movie, the two town jackasses are able figure out an easy way to kill the creatures in a few hours. In this movie, the characters are unable to come up the same or similar solution with years of thinking time. Morons.

I enjoyed it more than you but I share a lot of your concerns.

Hmmm, the only real issue I had was the electricity, but i just figured they had a Zacharias thing going on and had built some kind of generator at the falls. The father's situation room was a significant power drain,  but who knows what kind of off grid solar, wind, hydro, etc setup they have.

It looked to me like they tried extensively to lessen noise (sand in the house and on pathways, rolling dice on blankets, creating a sound canceling baby chamber,  sound canceling basement,  etc). It seamed like the house itself is a sound dampener,  which can explain away why a certain scene in the house doesn't attract the monsters.

Wasn't the nail initially bent over and then when she did the laundry it snagged on some clothes and pulled the nail point up? They can't exactly wrench it out. 

I personally felt the sound design was great and increased the immersion of the world being created. I also like movies that don't completely wrap themselves up at the end. In terms of doing things that create sound, I thought that was a main plot point of the movie. They are trying to fight back at the world they've been dealt by living as close to normal as possible. They still play games and go on outings, but they've adapted them. There's a certain scene with an old man that I think they're fighting against his psyche.

Maybe I'm just a light weight when it comes to cinema and story telling, or rational thinking, but I loved it.  :)

For me if it's a genre of film I like I don't tend to analyze all the potential plot holes and inconsistencies too much, especially those in the sci-fi, horror or fantasy genre. This one had me on the edge of my seat for the whole second half of the film. That's what I took from it and any contrivances such as the loss of their son at the start didn't bother me as it served the rest of the narrative.  Those ''everything wrong with' vids really do make my piss itch with all the fantastical stuff at the flicks nowadays it's easy to pull most of these films apart even the classics.  I enjoyed the film, any inconsistencies were only really apparent afterwards as I was enjoying it too much to care when I was watching it...

DigModiFicaTion said:
It looked to me like they tried extensively to lessen noise... creating a sound canceling baby chamber

The baby chamber was the one time I thought it seemed like they'd put the correct amount of thought into solving a problem. Everything else was half-hearted (e.g. one mattress to cover the basement) or nonsensical (e.g. going barefoot instead of covering the feet in something to absorb sound) to a greater or lesser degree.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Wasn't the nail initially bent over and then when she did the laundry it snagged on some clothes and pulled the nail point up? They can't exactly wrench it out. 

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that. I was too busy being distracted at the stupid way she just pulled and pulled on the snagged bag until she fell over and nearly got everybody killed. It still doesn't explain why she did nothing about the nail, why an upturned nail was ever there (bent down or not), or why they marked said nail as a safe place to tread.

DigModiFicaTion said:
I personally felt the sound design was great and increased the immersion of the world being created.

If you try walking around, even very, very slowly and very carefully it makes a massive amount of sound. Certainly far louder than any of the token ways the family were trying to prevent it (e.g. woolen game counters). The family frequently run around, not looking where they are treading and there is little to no sound in the mix. With the sound properly handled, every footstep, rustle of cloth, or breath could have been a tension filled chasm between life and death.

DigModiFicaTion said:
In terms of doing things that create sound, I thought that was a main plot point of the movie. They are trying to fight back at the world they've been dealt by living as close to normal as possible. They still play games and go on outings, but they've adapted them.

Interesting thought, I hadn't considered that. I had no problem with them having a baby because life must go on, even in the worst of situations.

DigModiFicaTion said:
I also like movies that don't completely wrap themselves up at the end.

I don't like such endings as a general rule. If I'd enjoyed the film more I probably would have found the ending exciting and a great cliffhanger.

I find logical inconsistencies very distracting, especially when the film's premise is a logic problem "how do you live and not make noise?". My mind starts whirring away with ways to solve the problem. It's my little issue that stops me enjoying some movies. I'm sure most viewers will love this. Loads of people loved 2012's 'End of Watch' but it drove me nuts because things didn't make sense.

TM2YC said:
If you try walking around, even very, very slowly and very carefully it makes a massive amount of sound.

My friend, you must learn the art of ninja walking ;)

I used to have to sneak down the stairs as a child and not make a sound when I was hungry (parents always fed me well, I just wanted more deliciousness) at night and didn't want my parents to know (creaky stairs and floors). Back then I watched Kung Fu, The Legend Continues and taught myself the rice paper walk and how to jump and absorb almost all of the sound with my legs. TMI I know, but it's possible :)

Back
Top Bottom