• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A Quiet Place

Sinbad said:
I took it as an accident too either by a broken condom or ineffectual anti birth medication. It could also just have happened because they were grieving so much in a moment of madness. Yes they were trying to just stay alive but it's human instinct to procreate even in their dire circumstance it would become 'everyday' to face the alien threat at some point.

With the understanding that people all grieve differently, I speak with at least some background in this matter, since my wife and I lost our first daughter and had to make the very difficult decision to try again.  The idea that you would purposely do it in a world where you cannot have a baby (really, it will never make a sound that can be heard?) is madness.  

I don't hink not having the pregnancy explained in some clunky exposition scene with the daughter/husband had a detrimental effect on the film, in every other way they handled things intelligently so it was fair to assume it was a slip up of some kind.

Unfortunately I don't agree that they handled everything else intelligently.

Very sorry to hear of your previous loss Frink.

In response to your views, as I said I took it as an accident, a rather brilliant one in terms of a plot device much like the nail in the stairs.  Ultimately the film is a mild horror movie/creature feature albeit with very good performances all round. The genre isn't particularly well known for protagonists acting particularly intelligently so a somewhat questionable but semi logical decision here and there to drive the drama is fine by me.  Let face it, it would be a pretty dull film if the y had just moved to the waterfall, built a hut (quietly) and lived there happily. 

The loss of their son at the start did at least go some way to understanding why they may try and keep the baby if it was an accident. I agree about them leaving their young son unsupervised  to some extent at the start, but by the same token living in that world it would be necessary for survival to learn the rules from a very young age and as I said in my previous post in that situation the threat is constant, sooner or later the guard would be dropped too low. Again in the context of the film I thought it was acceptable enough to drive the plot. And there would be times when both parents would not both be able to keep an eye on him at all times so some trust had to be put in the older sibling and himself in such a hostile world.

I can't think of any other particularly dumb decisions they made off the top of my head but been about six months since I last saw it

Sinbad said:
Very sorry to hear of your previous loss Frink.

In response to your views, as I said I took it as an accident, a rather brilliant one in terms of a plot device much like the nail in the stairs.  Ultimately the film is a mild horror movie/creature feature albeit with very good performances all round. The genre isn't particularly well known for protagonists acting particularly intelligently so a somewhat questionable but semi logical decision here and there to drive the drama is fine by me.  Let face it, it would be a pretty dull film if the y had just moved to the waterfall, built a hut (quietly) and lived there happily. 

The loss of their son at the start did at least go some way to understanding why they may try and keep the baby if it was an accident. I agree about them leaving their young son unsupervised  to some extent at the start, but by the same token living in that world it would be necessary for survival to learn the rules from a very young age and as I said in my previous post in that situation the threat is constant, sooner or later the guard would be dropped too low occasionally. Again in the context of the film I thought it was acceptable enough to drive the plot. And there would be times when both parents would not both be able to keep an eye on him at all times so some trust had to be put in the older sibling and himself in such a hostile world.

I can't think of any other particularly dumb decisions they made off the top of my head but been about six months since I last saw it

Sinbad said:
The genre isn't particularly well known for protagonists acting particularly intelligently

I agree, which is why I was disappointed.  It's better than a standard horror movie, and I wanted it to be better on that front as well, but I did not think it was.

From what I remember from the interviews, the baby was a concious choice that they made to fight back at the condition they find themselves in. A way of not allowing fear to be their normality. They choose to live and male new life inspite of the horror they find themselves in. This outlook makes sense as their entire way of life is to preserve the normal that existed before they couldn't make a noise. They are fighters and the baby is an ultimate expression of that fight. Or so that's one interpretation.  ;)

That's really stupid of them. Not to mention shitty to put the child they already have in such unnecessary extra danger.

Possessed said:
That's really stupid of them. Not to mention shitty to put the child they already have in such unnecessary extra danger.

Do you have kids?  It's a scary world as is without these monsters. The alternative in the movie would be complicit extinction.

If I did have kids I wouldn't endanger them to make another one.   And... how would having another child save them from extinction?  That's a pretty dark scenario you're suggesting...

Naturally, if no one has any kids because of these monsters, humans would go extinct.

Disregarding the supplemental material the fact we are debating the pregnancy justifies why it wasn't divulged in the movie whether it was an accident or not to my mind.  

On the face of it to purposely get pregnant seems incredibly stupid for obvious reasons but the dilemma of human extinction would be something that would cross my mind and the thought of whether in any way it might be possible for the human race to live on.  They knew other people were alive 'the old man' for instance so the dark scenario @"Possessed" implies would not be the case if others had adapted as they had.  

It's easy to think of a dozen reasons instantly why having a child in this situation could be catastrophic, the alternative though is certain extinction so its fair to assume humans would try and find ways to make it possible especially after living with the threat and managing to survive for a long time.  As @"DigModiFicaTion"  says even now some people live in awful conditions and situations but still have children, no matter how inhospitable somewhere might be if you survive there long enough it becomes 'normal'

I don't need a reason for them to have another kid. People get pregnant, on purpose or accidentally, all the time.

asterixsmeagol said:
I don't need a reason for them to have another kid. People get pregnant, on purpose or accidentally, all the time.

People also live in a situation where a single noise means instant death, and then choose to bring a noise factory into their lives?  Makes sense.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Possessed said:

Do you have kids?  It's a scary world as is without these monsters. The alternative in the movie would be complicit extinction.

I have two kids and lost a third, as I said previously, and I agree with Possessed.  It's stupid and shitty.

The alternative was to keep working on the ear device that ended up defeating the monsters. Repopulate the earth AFTER the threat has been removed.  Or let your kids do it (not with each other obviously).

We all see movies with our own eyes and own experiences.
I usualy don't judge a movie based on what I would personally do instead of what the characters are doing.
If some characters are making bad or stupid decisions I'm not saying "the movie is dumb: 0/10", I'm saying "boy those characters are stupids to do that, let's see how the movie goes on based on those stupid decisions". People are making bad decisions in real life all the times, it's not creating suspension of disbelief to witness that in movies! I can root for stupid characters if the movie is well done, lol.
When I saw A Quiet Place I told myself that it was not wise AT ALL for her to get pregnant, but I understood it was a key element of what was about to come next (Ah, right... the baby will obviously make noise etc... I get it...). Sometime you just have to go with the flow on certain things or you can't appreciate the other things the movie has to offer.

In case I'm not being clear enough, I am not saying the movie is dumb 0/10.  I actually liked it.  It's well directed, well acted, and suspenseful.  I just thought the characters acting unrealistically made it a bit of a missed opportunity.  And like I already said, it wasn't just the pregnancy, I mentioned the whole open where they left the youngest son unattended way too much as another example.

TVs Frink said:
I mentioned the whole open where they left the youngest son unattended way too much as another example.

I, too, thought this was a bit odd. Not so much allowing the kid to wander in the store unattended (you make a good argument for this, by the way) but the fact that on the way home they let him walk behind everyone else. At a distance.

I would think one parent would be in the lead and the other parent would take up the rear. Seems the most safe to me.

Q2 said:
I would think one parent would be in the lead and the other parent would take up the rear. Seems the most safe to me.

Spot on.

TVs Frink said:
In case I'm not being clear enough, I am not saying the movie is dumb 0/10.  I actually liked it. 

And I was not saying that you were saying that. ;)
It was a broad reflection of mine about the overall discussion.

is there a deleted scene where they have sex without making noise?

I really enjoyed the movie, but yeah, it was not without plot holes.

ThrowgnCpr said:
is there a deleted scene where they have sex without making noise?

So many jokes...

Back
Top Bottom