• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

A few reviews

White Squall (1996)
I always thought that his brother Tony knew exactly what he was doing with 'Top Gun' but I'm less sure Ridley Scott was aware of the homoeroticism of this true life adventure/tragedy. There is a lot of topless young guys wrestling and staring intently at each other. It's basically 'Dead Poets Society' at sea. 'White Squall' doesn't dispel the idea that Ridley's pre-'Gladiator'-resurgence 90s period was a creatively underwhelming time. The only thing that the film truly excels at is advertising Coke in every other bloody shot. Jeff Bridges is brilliant in almost everything but not here, he feels miscast. Until the court scene at the end, I couldn't tell if his character was supposed to be seen by us as noble and inspirational, or reckless and arrogant. The big dramatic action disaster at the end is well handled, perhaps that was the bit that Ridley was interested in filming, the story leading up to it was just something he was obligated to do.
Bummer that these early Ridley Scott films aren't doing a lot for you. I think they're all wonderful, in different ways. I've heard him talk about White Squall before and he was very much interested in the film, not just the end. He talked about it like trying to capture a moment of Robert Frost mixed with Jack Kerouac, or something like that. He purposedly cast the most gorgeous young men he could, then set them on this boat in these gorgeous seas and just wanted it to be like sunshine in your hands: this moment of fragile, golden youth, a kind of Greek idyll. And then to shatter that. I love it.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades (1972)
'Baby Cart to Hades'
is the 'Goldfinger' of this franchise, the third film when they absolutely nailed the winning formula. It features more refined visuals and a more cohesive story. The badass way Tomisaburo Wakayama very slowly sheaths his sword the instant after he's wiped out all his enemies at lightning speed is amazing. The "AND Cub" part of the title is used more effectively with little Diagoro often aiding his father's assassination schemes by playing on people's sympathies. The best scene is where Itto chooses to protect a poor farm girl (who has been sold into prostitution) when she randomly hides in his hotel room. He's surrounded by armed Yakuza, who demand he hand the frightened girl over but in that deep movie-Samurai voice he just says "I refuse". Itto's actions are contrasted with rival ronin Kanbei who responds to similar situations by strictly following Bushido but not what is morally right. The big showdown where Itto takes on a entire army single-handed is epic!

G.I. Jane (1997)
I've been curious about seeing this box-office bomb from Ridley Scott for ages. It seems that the stink of 1995's 'Showgirls', hung over the even worse 1996 Demi Moore film 'Striptease', which in turn tanked 'G.I. Jane's prospects. Moore's career sadly didn't recover, Scott's career thankfully did after his next move was the mega blockbuster 'Gladiator'. The script is perhaps a touch cliched for a boot-camp movie but it's otherwise pretty great. Moore is completely believable as the iron-willed woman who politicians and military top-brass have put into the Navy SEALs training program, expecting/wanting her to fail. Towards the end I got the distinct impression that the script writers had been copying a couple of pages from Ridley's brother Tony Scott's 1986 film 'Top Gun'. There is an early shot that begins, framed low, as a bum in tight white shorts saunters away from the camera, just long enough for you to think "Jeez! male-gaze objectification or what!", only for a 2nd angle to reveal it's Viggo Mortensen's shapely behind. I'm pretty sure it was Ridley having a joke on the audience and a self-aware joke on clueless directors but I'm not 100% sure with Mr. Scott.

High-Rise (2015)
Director Ben Wheatley successfully channels a kind of 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant' early 70s aesthetic which helps this feel like a film made in that decade, rather than just depicting it. Luke Evans really looks just like an actor from the 70s, while Tom Hiddleston has the feel of the next "yuppie" decade. Clint Mansell's weaving of ABBA's 'SOS' into the score is terrific. Although this is based on a 1975 book and despite it's compressed sci-fi chaos, it actually doesn't feel like too far fetched a portrait of the kind of gentrification you see in eutopian/brutalist areas of London over the decades and of societal/consumer breakdown we've seen in recent years. It'd make a nice double bill with 2017's 'Mother!' which also has a surface depiction of disintegration but which is also describing something larger.

Do you folks have letterboxd accounts? If you do I'd like to follow y'all there!

That's where I catalog the movies I watch and write down my thoughts. It's a really convenient tool, so I'd love to get in touch if you guys are over there.

The only thing Letterboxd is missing is an actual forum/thread format, which this site provides so that's good.

Do you folks have letterboxd accounts? If you do I'd like to follow y'all there!

That's where I catalog the movies I watch and write down my thoughts. It's a really convenient tool, so I'd love to get in touch if you guys are over there.

The only thing Letterboxd is missing is an actual forum/thread format, which this site provides so that's good.
There’s a thread for sharing Letterboxd accounts. I have one but I rarely use it. I write reviews primarily for myself so I can collect my thoughts and have something to reference back to later. But I don’t expect others to really read them. This is especially true with my book reviews. I post them here but I doubt they are ever read. I like posting my reviews here because it is a well run community that generally has a deep knowledge of storytelling without feeling the need to be negative for negativity’s sake. I’m not saying that happens at Letterboxd, but I’m satisfied with the interaction here.

High-Rise (2015)
Director Ben Wheatley successfully channels a kind of 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant' early 70s aesthetic which helps this feel like a film made in that decade, rather than just depicting it. Luke Evans really looks just like an actor from the 70s, while Tom Hiddleston has the feel of the next "yuppie" decade. Clint Mansell's weaving of ABBA's 'SOS' into the score is terrific. Although this is based on a 1975 book and despite it's compressed sci-fi chaos, it actually doesn't feel like too far fetched a portrait of the kind of gentrification you see in eutopian/brutalist areas of London over the decades and of societal/consumer breakdown we've seen in recent years. It'd make a nice double bill with 2017's 'Mother!' which also has a surface depiction of disintegration but which is also describing something larger.

In addition to the movie adaptation, the Ballard novel also gave the name to the awesome straight edge Japanese noise rock band High Rise.
(skip to Ikon at 4:31 if the timestamp doesn't work)

There’s a thread for sharing Letterboxd accounts. I have one but I rarely use it. I write reviews primarily for myself so I can collect my thoughts and have something to reference back to later. But I don’t expect others to really read them. This is especially true with my book reviews. I post them here but I doubt they are ever read. I like posting my reviews here because it is a well run community that generally has a deep knowledge of storytelling without feeling the need to be negative for negativity’s sake. I’m not saying that happens at Letterboxd, but I’m satisfied with the interaction here.
Yo, I'll read them

G.I. Jane (1997)
I've been curious about seeing this box-office bomb from Ridley Scott for ages. It seems that the stink of 1995's 'Showgirls', hung over the even worse 1996 Demi Moore film 'Striptease', which in turn tanked 'G.I. Jane's prospects. Moore's career sadly didn't recover, Scott's career thankfully did after his next move was the mega blockbuster 'Gladiator'. The script is perhaps a touch cliched for a boot-camp movie but it's otherwise pretty great. Moore is completely believable as the iron-willed woman who politicians and military top-brass have put into the Navy SEALs training program, expecting/wanting her to fail. Towards the end I got the distinct impression that the script writers had been copying a couple of pages from Ridley's brother Tony Scott's 1986 film 'Top Gun'. There is an early shot that begins, framed low, as a bum in tight white shorts saunters away from the camera, just long enough for you to think "Jeez! male-gaze objectification or what!", only for a 2nd angle to reveal it's Viggo Mortensen's shapely behind. I'm pretty sure it was Ridley having a joke on the audience and a self-aware joke on clueless directors but I'm not 100% sure with Mr. Scott.

As I was, I assume, the target audience that let this film bomb (I was a Scott fan, well aware of the movie, and dead set against seeing it), I'm glad to see that you are finally finding an earlier Scott film that you can connect with. I felt guilty at how much I enjoyed it when I finally got around to seeing it. I think honestly the whole "women in frontline roles" argument was just very ripe at the time, and the film was a little ahead of where the American public was. Even an idealistic progressive teen like me just could not buy little 165cm Demi Moore out there with the SEALS, and the film seemed like what people these days would now call "pandering" or "woke propaganda". Of course, Moore absolutely earns your respect when you see her in the film, but that required actually seeing it.

@Gibichung yes, a lot of us are on Letterboxd, you could just search for that thread in the forums and look everyone up from there. My account is here.

The Letterboxd thread is here: Letterboxd

I'm here: https://letterboxd.com/TM2YC/

Cry-Baby (1990)

I didn’t enjoy this as much as ‘Hairspray’. It’s so arch, tongue in cheek, stylised and absurdist that I didn’t feel a genuine connection with any of the characters. e.g. Johnny Depp and his co-stars obviously lip syncing to voices nothing like their own during the musical numbers is supposed to look artificial, but then you don’t actually connect with the feelings they are supposed to be conveying... and there is a lot of singing. I did enjoy how proud and supporting the hill-billy parents (one played by Iggy Pop) were that their teenage girls were misfits and/or pregnant out of wedlock.

The Letterboxd thread is here: Letterboxd

I'm here: https://letterboxd.com/TM2YC/

Cry-Baby (1990)
I didn’t enjoy this as much as ‘Hairspray’. It’s so arch, tongue in cheek, stylised and absurdist that I didn’t feel a genuine connection with any of the characters. e.g. Johnny Depp and his co-stars obviously lip syncing to voices nothing like their own during the musical numbers is supposed to look artificial, but then you don’t actually connect with the feelings they are supposed to be conveying... and there is a lot of singing. I did enjoy how proud and supporting the hill-billy parents (one played by Iggy Pop) were that their teenage girls were misfits and/or pregnant out of wedlock.

Sweet. Just followed you over there.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)
I had zero interest in paying to see this godawful looking insult but I clicked play the instant it was free to watch on somebody else's Disney+. It's difficult to access whether this is worse or better than 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' because I hated it for different reasons and I've kind of made peace with that misfire over the years. The 'Dial of Destiny' script is a mess, written by committee. The most moronic moment is when Helena says Archimedes' ship sank "filled with the skeletons of over a hundred Centurions". Either implying the little Roman galley somehow sank with over ten thousand men on board, or the dim writers obviously think "Centurion" is a synonym for "Legionary", when they were actually the commander of 100 Legionaries (cent = 100). Phoebe Waller-Bridge is quite fun as new sidekick that all these movies have but I never got the sense of why she is like she is, or how she relates to Indy. If only the script had placed her younger self at the centre of the prologue we could've seen some evidence for why she wants to be the same as Indy and why she wants to be different. This franchise already effortlessly did that kind of thing in the third film's prologue with young Indy and the older adventurer trying to steal the cross of Coronado.

So much time (screen and production) and money clearly went into the 20-minute long intro, you wonder if the whole film was just a scam so Disney could get a digital clone of young Harrison in the bank, ready to exploit in future corporate products, with the full input and cooperation of the elderly star before he passes on. That youth FX is amazing, not perfect, but as close to perfect as de-aging has got so far, visually anyway. Unfortunately Harrison doesn't do enough to moderate his ageing voice, or movements to completely nail it. It might've helped the illusion that the whole sequence around him looked hideously phoney. The brief use of the Raiders theme over a ghastly digi-double shot of fake-Indy running across a train roof only served to underline the non-excitement of the sequence.

The use of the famous transition shot where Indy gets on a plane that's superimposed over a map with a red line is perhaps emblematic of why Director James Mangold got this film so wrong. It features a slick updated 3D CGI version of the idea. Those map shots were originally designed to look completely dated, who other than an idiot would seek to modernise, something that's supposed to look old fashioned. You're not referencing something from a 1981 film, you're referencing something from decades before that. John Rhys-Davies (and the writers) double down on the iffy stereotyped portrayal of Sallah they did in the 3rd film, so he's not just wearing a fez, he's in the full ethnic clobber and driving a New York cab, instead of working at a museum, or lecturing in archaeology, as befits the important character introduced in Raiders.

The finale is bonkers and ill-advised but I did at least find myself becoming engaged with the story because it was doing something different with the franchise. So I couldn't so easily say "this is just like another thing I've seen before but incalculably worse" e.g. 1983's 'Octopussy's had a thrilling tuk-tuk chase done for real, so DoD's ersatz green screen version of the same could not look more lame. By the end of the film it had all got very convoluted so excuse me if I've got this wrong but... if Archimedes could not have factored continental drift into his calculations, then how could he have designed a device that brought people back to the exact time he intended? I guess the script hopes the viewer's attention span is less than the couple of minutes that separates these two pieces of temporal exposition.

I recently watched this too, but I think I liked it a lot more than you. I guess I was pleasantly surprised it wasn’t a total trianwreck like Crystal Skull. But it was totally forgettable and, you’re right, there’s a lot of nonsensical things in there. But I guess I feel all IJ movies have that including Raiders, which famously people point out Jones being inconsequential to the plot. I have no problem saying it was better than Skull, but I doubt I’ll ever watch it again.

Last edited:
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril (1972)
This fourth adventure features a very memorable character from the Manga, Oyuki, a female assassin who fights topless with shocking demon tattoos, in order to distract her male opponents. Itto shows great respect for Oyuki but ultimately he must kill her. The plot about Itto meeting her admirable father and later avenging his death is great. The scene where Itto is ambushed at a Buddha temple is clearly a heavy influence on the House of Leaves sequence in 'Kill Bill', it's got severed limbs and blood flying everywhere and a couple of the same shots. The film ends with a large battle so ferocious that it looks like Itto might not make it out alive this time.

Free Fire (2016)
A terrorist weapons buy goes drastically, randomly and comically wrong in this black-comedy experimental action film. I was already thinking that ‘Free Fire’ is sort of “What if the bit in ‘Reservoir Dogs’ where they all point guns and shout recriminations at each other in a warehouse was the whole movie?”, long before it does virtually the exact same ending. Considering it’s mostly people shooting, the film does a good job of setting up the characters. What it does poorly is geography. If you spend all 90-minutes in a single interior and I'm still getting confused about where people are, you've messed up. Simple subliminal tricks like making one end of the warehouse always be on the left of screen and vice versa, or using lighting, would’ve worked wonders. I hated the faux 70s and "HDR" look of the film by the way.

John Wick: Chapter 4 (2023)
I was bored waiting through the first 30-minutes of convoluted exposition nonsense before the first action scene started, then that went on for so long I got bored by the thing I was bored waiting for. I thought 'John Wick: Chapter 3' was maybe the best one, so this is either a colossal step down in quality, I'm just getting tired of this same formula, or it caught me in the wrong mood. Rina Sawayama's performance was bad and felt off in a distracting way, so I wasn't totally surprised to read she's a singer who hasn't acted before. Fortunately she's offset by sharing a lot of scenes with the superb Hiroyuki Sanada. At points the film gets so carried away with setting up irrelevant side-character guff, it forgets to even have John Wick in the movie. But (and it's a big but) once the dreary first half is out of the way, the 2nd half delivers the goods. We finally know what John has to do, where he has to go, what time he has to be there, what the stakes are if he fails and who he has to do final battle with. One action set piece builds on the other, ramping up the pace, the intensity and the directorial flair, until Wick is fighting up a Sisyphean hill of steps and corpses. There's undoubtedly a tight action thriller buried inside this bloated 169-minute slog. The satisfying ending which ties pretty much everything up might've been a real emotional crescendo but due to the "Search for More Money", they can't help but leave a backdoor ajar, completely erasing any genuine heart it could've had. The post credits scene serves to render another part of the ending even more meaningless.

REBEL MOON Part One: CHILD OF FIRE

It was.... fine... I guess?

I mean there is not one original thing in the entire movie, so it plays more derivative borrowing than loving homage to me.
Zero surprises in terms of plot or characters.

But I never looked at my watch either, so that says something. Though Snyder's signature slo-mo got old real fast for me.

The first act I found the most engaging. Once the Magnificent Seven round up begins, it starts to wane a bit for me. And this is mostly because the recruited heroes are so underdeveloped. They are all Classic Archetypes, but I never felt emotionally invested in them. I never cared about them. They mostly felt like a ticked box exercise. This is partly due to castling, but mostly direction. Usually the score had to do the heavy lifting to tell me how I should feel, not the actual performances. Though I assume being a Snyder flick, and how oddly some scenes were edited, there will a Directors Cut (though being a Streaming Movie, why wouldn't you just release your vision to begin with..?) and these characters will hopefully be fleshed out more.

Snyder continues to use his Yellow Puke Colour Grading. Which is too bad, as there are some potentially beautiful shots in this film that are mired for me by his chosen aesthetic. The CGI mostly good to excellent, but there were a coupls shots that looked very dodgy, even unfinished.

But there are some good moments and performance scattered throughout. Enough to make curious for Part Two and wish for an extended cut.

6.5 out of 10 for me. (y)

Both Rebel Moon parts have the initial "family friendly" cut which will be followed by an R-rated extended cut.

Both Rebel Moon parts have the initial "family friendly" cut which will be followed by an R-rated extended cut.
While I am curious about a hopefully better cut, it also pisses me off since it is an obvious cash grab.

Back
Top Bottom