• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A few reviews

^I had many of your same issues with JW4. I'll say that appreciating the nuances of jujitsu or "gun-fu" is really the draw of those films though. There's an effort to be creative and storytell through the action that you don't get in most Hollywood action films. It's much easier to appreciate that though when the story is more focused. Gimme the first JW any day.

Re: The Heike Story, I don't really know much about it, I just thought it seemed more interesting to me than Yamada's other work. I'm not so much with the J-romances, but I do love a good historical epic. Sometimes they can be like you described: it would be like an American film that just shows all the big Civil War generals and political leaders talking together and doesn't bring you up to speed. Lots of white dudes, lots of beards, and they just assume the audience knows their Stonewall Jackson from their Longstreet. The Japanese audience generally has the basics of all those old leaders, so the films/series don't belabor it. I will say it can be a real learning curve, but if you like the sub-genre, it's very rewarding once you get more acquainted.

I didn't read the spoilers...overall, do you think the show is probably a good watch for someone with my tastes?
The spoiler is not really that spoilerish is mostly about an aesthetic of a brief scene. I'm not sure what you'd be expecting. Sometimes the battle scenes are extremely brief, probably because of budget, or just skipped over entirely. Like I said though, towards the end it does manage to bring out a very surprising amount of emotional depth which I didn't expect it would be able to do considering how confused I was at times. I think that manages to show the strength of what the director can accomplish with stirring up emotions, but shouldn't be that surprising considering how adept she was at doing it in A Silent Voice and Liz. It never feels like a slog at all and I think you'd definitely get something out of it.

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story (2022)
What starts as a smart satire of the painfully cliched biopic genre, goes on for 18-minutes too long, so drops that and instead gets increasingly silly and absurd to keep you interested, which it succeeded in doing... just. Evan Rachel Wood is totally convincing as "evil succubus" Madonna. Like Weird Al's 'UHF' movie, this is good natured fun, with a genuine love for it's oddball characters.

Major Dundee (1965)
Charlton Heston
plays the title character, perhaps recklessly leading a hastily assembled troop of his Union soldiers and freed Confederate prisoners on a mission across the Mexican border in pursuit of an Apache war chief. 'Major Dundee' builds it's story, stakes and characters brilliantly up to the mid point where Dundee has a deserter shot, then it felt like bits of the film are missing. Which they are, even in the 13-minutes-longer reconstructed "Director's Cut" I watched, which is believed to still be 20-minutes shorter than Sam Peckinpah intended. The movie rallies for an action-packed and satisfying finale but also an abrupt cut to credits. I loved the triumphant moment in that ending where Richard Harris' Confederate Captain retakes and holds aloft the star and stripes, just for honour and brotherhood with the men he's been forced to fight along side. 'Major Dundee' feels exactly like what it is, a mid point between Peckinpah's somewhat old-fashioned (but fantastic) Western 'Ride the High Country' and his darker, more cynical modern Western 'The Wild Bunch'. It shares some bits of plot and themes from both. The parts where they are fighting a peninsular war against French cavalry was almost like 'Sharpe', which is high praise from me. 'Major Dundee' isn't a masterpiece but there is enough great stuff in there to make you think it almost was.

Half-Life: 25th Anniversary Documentary (2023)
A free official feature-length look back at the creation of what felt like such a revolutionary game in 1998. The film has a big focus on the reasons why it was so different and immersive. Some aspects like the non-existence of boring cutscenes were obvious (games have definitely devolved on this front in 25-years. Many now consider it mandatory to have at least 30-minutes of unskippable cutscene exposition before you'll be allowed to start playing the game... rant over!), but I loved the discussion of all the subliminal elements the makers put in to make the player feel immersed and engaged, whether they were aware of them or not. The world should always feel like it's being affected by your presence and vice versa, and there should always be something about to happen, or something different to see, to stimulate the senses every few seconds. Clearly judging by the "25th Anniversary" title, Valve are aware of how bloody long it's been, so hopefully they'll do something about Half-Life 3 one of these days.

There are 2 documentaries by Noclip about Half Life and the remake Black Mesa (which I still haven't played yet) which are both extremely fascinating. They're much longer than the Valve doc but never felt like it. As somebody that played the hell out of both Half Lifes and their mods, I definitely recommend them.

Sightseers (2012)
I was more intrigued to see this because it's starring and co-written by Alice Lowe the Director/Writer of 2016's 'Prevenge', than because it's directed by Ben Wheatley. It's got her jet-black humour in abundance. The pair of decidedly odd campers who go on a killing spree, reminded me of Mike Leigh's 1976 film 'Nuts in May' (although that only goes so far as getting angry and waving a stick). The initially super violent murder of a guy who is dropping litter seemed entirely justified to me, so I thought this might be going in a 'Falling Down' direction, where the anti-hero(s) are righting wrongs, but no they are just enjoying their "hobby". I'm familiar with a few of the locations which made for added fun spotting them. I'm looking forward to Lowe's forthcoming 'Timestalker'.

Black Hawk Down (2001)
I remember 'Black Hawk Down' getting a lot of acclaim and box office at the time but I only thought it was average, so I've been curious to give it another go. Maybe it hit just at the right time for some people, coming within weeks of 911. Although it would've been better timed a couple of years after, as it's depiction of the disastrous 1993 raid on Mogadishu, seems to precisely anticipate how the Iraq war later went down. e.g. a swift victory, followed by a long drawn-out bloody conflict. I find Producer Jerry Bruckheimer's trademark hyper-processed, glossy, action-movie look to be at odds with the serious film Ridley Scott was probably trying to make. He's going for just dropping us into the visceral conflict and experiencing the chaos but the lack of any real characterisation, much story, or political context for the events, hold the film back from saying much worthwhile. The relentless, terrifying, action is extremely compelling on it's own though and the frequent use of a helpless "God's eye" satellite overview of the firefight is interesting. The choice to cast most of the all-American parts with actors who aren't Americans was an odd and risky one but all the accents sounded okay to me? I'd forgotten this had Tom Hardy in it in his first film role.

Hairspray (1988)
I had many real laugh out loud moments with 'Hairspray' like Traci saying "This is so romantic" before shooing away an alley rat and then her boyfriend saying "Traci. Our souls are black". It's John Waters decision to have those kinds of lines delivered with such genuine heart, positivity and zero sneering cynicism that makes this such a joy to behold. Every mention of the "Hefty Hideaway" made me smile because of how voluminously enthusiastic the shop owner is to make his +size clientele happy. 'Hairspray' has a similar vibe to 1994's 'Ed Wood', where being different and accepting of the differences of others is almost like an unstoppable force. The jumping 50s soundtrack makes you want to get up and do the twist, the watusi, or even the roach.

I didn't realise that the film's "love to hate" antagonist Amber is played by 18-year old Colleen Fitzpatrick, who went on to perform as 'Vitamin C'. Releasing one of my favourite singles of the early 2000s, a genius mashup of The Strokes' 'Last Night' and Blondie's 'Heart of Glass' (before the label dropped her and shelved her 3rd album forever). I wonder if the fact that Debbie Harry plays Fitzpatrick's on-screen mum in 'Hairspray' had anything to do with her getting the okay to use the sample?

By the way, this John Waters "no smoking" PSA is one of the funniest things ever:

^That pre-movie announcement is possibly my favorite thing John Waters has ever made.

Kill List (2011)
I was completely absorbed by this psychological/horror/thriller until the finale. The film has an oppressive feeling of threat, from something relatable like a dinner party going sour, to a clinical assassination mission descending into anger fuelled brutal carnage. Neil Maskell and Michael Smiley are sensational as the two hit men. Then right at the end it's all barely lit, shaky-cam running, which is almost completely incomprehensible and some sort of vague sub-'The Wicker Man' thing that I either did not understand, or had missed the meaning of. The characters have a dark unexplained backstory, which you expect to be the revelation at the end, so it all ties up, but no.

1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992)
It's neat that this was released on the 500th anniversary of Columbus' voyage, almost to the day. From what I understand, while it includes some historical details, overall it's an anti-historical fantasy, portraying Columbus as a visionary man ahead of his time, dreaming of a better world, rather than a genocidal moron. You just have to accept that this is the story that Ridley Scott wants to tell, otherwise you're not going to enjoy watching sails flutter in the wind, while the Vangelis' score soars above and the poetic voiceover echoes the Apollo moon landings. Once the characters do find "the new world" it quickly turns from a dream, to a nightmare, in the spirit of films like 'Aguirre, the Wrath of God' and 'Apocalypse Now'. It's not that much of a surprise that it bombed, not helped by some of the cast (including star Gerard Depardieu) having accents so thick and sometimes hard to hear, that it sounds like they learned the script phenetically.

This wordless montage set to Vangelis' main theme conveys the spirit of the film better...

...than this unbelievably awful "none more 90s" trailer...

^I remember in my Irish History class in Uni, the 1/3 of us who stuck through the brutal beginning period where the Prof tried to chase out students looking for an easy A ended up finding the course quite challenging, not in terms of grades, but on a philosophical level. We'd learn about Brian Boru and say "Oh, so he was the hero of his people and the English royalty were such villains..." and the Prof would firmly say "NO!" and proceed to tell us how Boru failed his people. We'd learn about the lower Irish "kings" and how they betrayed each other and made deals with Saxons or Normans and say "Ah, so they're the villains, and the English are falsely villified!"...and the Prof would say "Nope!" and proceed to tell us all the crappy things the early English lords did. And so on.

"Ah! So no one side is heroes or villains, they both had a mix of both!" we'd say. "NOPE!" came the reply. "Uh...so...people can be heroes or villains, it just depends on your point of view...is that what you're trying to say?" And the reply, "Wrong again!"

Finally, one quiet, hair in the face, post-Goth type guy in the back says one day, "The truth is, everyone is a villain." And the Prof looks out at us, Irish gleam in his eyes, and says "Now we're getting somewhere."

Growing up in the U.S., where we have a literal holiday named after Columbus and I grew up making paper cutouts of the man and celebrating his accomplishments, Ridley Scott's movie always seemed like something of a revelation. Granted, I haven't seen it in quite a while, but for me it was the first film to show a dynamic, but very flawed man. Not a hero, but a person who accomplished some amazing things, and was responsible for some horrible things. It's a softer portrayal than what's en vogue nowadays, where people are wont to call him a "genocidal moron" rather than "par for the course for anyone traveling with an army to a foreign land". But at the time, 1492 was a slap in the face to American tradition and conventional wisdom. It didn't fail because of poor production, a dull story, or being ahistorical. If anything, its myth-busting of the American explorer mythos was too challenging for the time.

I suppose this film now exists as a kind of relic, like films during the Hayes Code. You look at how they portrayed historical figures, and while some might have been challenging for the times, they don't reflect our current understanding. I can understand some reticence to praise those films. Although I think it's always good to look at the context they were made in, and to remember, if you've ever read about someone written in a history book: chances are they're a villain to someone.

Napoleon (2023)
I wasn't expecting Ridley Scott's 'Napoleon' to be such a comedy, mostly at Napoleon's expense. A dark joke on powerful men spending lives faster than spending money, and with no more thought. There are several well known British TV comedians in the cast including Phil Cornwell, Julian Rhind-Tutt, Miles Jupp and Kevin Eldon. The visual allusions to particular iconic paintings were beautifully done. As with Scott's last historical film 'The Last Duel', I found the practically monotone grade and impenetrable darkness of the grade to be quite dispiriting. What's the point of all these great epic shots and $200 million dollars worth of sumptuous costuming if we can't see any of it? Rupert Everett made a fine pompous Duke of Wellington. I wish General Dumas (played by Abubakar Salim) had been more than a character who mostly just stands near Napoleon. I've long thought there is a movie in his (and his son and grandsons) life and rise to power/prominence in revolutionary France.

What one of the colourful costumes looked like in real life:

joaquin-phoenix-1-2000-e14718850f6942c19f857fb7565edc53.jpg

What the same costume looks like drained of colour and contrast in the film (top), or something like this might be better:

53370843999_7e5dd5fb0b_b.jpg

Kagemusha (1980)
When I first watched 'Kagemusha' years ago, four things were different; 1. It looked poor, 2. It was the 19-minute shorter international version, 3. I didn't realise it was fact based, and 4. I marginally rated it over the superb 'Ran'. Thanks to the Criterion blu-ray it now looks great, but the full 3-hour cut has many scenes that don't feature the actual title character which lessened the impact of the story for me, and has a couple of montage sequences that are so repetitious and long that I started to laugh at the how the sequences just kept going and going. I believe both these aspects are minimised in the shorter cut. Now I know a lot more about Japanese history, I know that 'Tokugawa Leyasu' isn't just a random rival warlord antagonist, he's Japan's Julius Ceasar, so it's meant to be obvious that our heroes who oppose him in battle are ultimately doomed from the start. So although there is an overall weighty sadness to the story as a result, there isn't as much dramatic tension, as when I didn't have a clue. So I still think 'Kagemusha' is an engrossing Samurai epic, one of Akira Kurosawa's best, but I don't rate it over 'Ran'. The most powerful moment is when three of Shingen's generals lock spears in close-up to form the Kanji for "Mountain" and ride to their deaths (Mountain having great meaning for Shingen). I'd forgotten how much of the focus is on Shingen's wise other-doppelganger brother, who is arguably who should have lead the Takeda clan, not the son, or the "Kagemusha" double (or maybe that increased focus is just in the longer cut).

I need to give both Kagemusha and Ran a rewatch...I think the former tends to live in the shadow (no pun intended) of the latter. I've always actually preferred it, but I've also always had an urge to root for the underdog and to reject mainstream opinion. I will say you bring up a great point about the cultural context of Kagemusha, where the intended audience kind of comes into this assuming it's a tragedy. That said, Japanese films in general have tragic endings by default, like the typical Hollywood happy ending, so I think their cinema tends to focus a lot more on what lesson someone learns on the way to tragedy, or if they can conduct themselves well despite tragic circumstances. Maybe that aspect has resonated with me more in Kagemusha than how it plays out in Ran, where there's perhaps a bit less poetry to his foolishness and a bit more of Shakespeare sowing up a clever plot. Depends on your POV, I guess.

I find that as a general rule, the cuts released in Japan (and DVDs for HK, if they were different) are almost always worse. 15-25 minutes longer on average, and it's usually nice little bits of character work, but stuff better sacrificed to keep the story moving and focused.

A Field in England (2013)
A hallucinogenic (thanks to the characters consumption of magic mushrooms) nightmare set entirely in the titular meadow during the English Civil War. It had me thinking of the minor characters Pistol, Nym, and Bardolph from Shakespeare's 'Henry V' going insane, with the "time of war" vibe of Kenji Mizoguchi's 'Ugetsu' and a touch of 1968's 'Witchfinder General', but directed by either Ingmar Bergman in 'The Seventh Seal' mode, or Andrei Tarkovsky. 'A Field in England' shows how much atmosphere you can create on no budget, with just a field, four actors, a smoke machine and a big fan. The trippy prismatic strobe sequence is very cool and must have taken an age to edit. Again, great direction and great editing takes time but not necessarily money. I didn't get much out of it story wise but there are images and scenes that will linger long in the memory.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance (1972)
The Criterion blu-ray boxset is a significant visual upgrade on the older Eureka! Video DVD set I used to own. But it still looks and sounds a bit rough, which is maybe down to the source, they did make/release four of these films in 12-months! Silence is frequently used to magnify the impact of the action, I mean total silence, but if it wasn't for the hum and crackle of the 1972 mono sound I might've thought my TV was broken. The Criterion subtitles are some of the best I've seen for a Japanese film, I imagine they took their cue from the English version of the Manga, which translated as few nouns as possible. So you're okay if you know the feudal basics like Daimyô, Ryô, Ryû, Han, Kaishakunin, Metsuke, Koku etc. The violence is so violent, featuring geysers of blood spraying everywhere and limbs falling off, so it goes out beyond shocking, into being just fun to watch (much like in 'Robocop'). You can't fault Tomisaburo Wakayama's amazing central performance but I wish the producer/director had put him on one of those Hollywood diets. I find it difficult to fully accept him as the wandering starving stoic ronin of the comic. I'd forgotten how complicated the flashback structure was in this first film, flitting back between at least four different points in the story in a way that feels very nature and dreamlike.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx (1972)
Unlike the first film which had a strong story focus, this first sequel is a pretty much a series of episodic encounters with assassins sent after Ogami Ittō. I'm almost sure it's composed of three of the early Manga chapters chucked into one script. Nevertheless, it's a string of highly enjoyable samurai action scenes that kept me entertained for 85-minutes in this rewatch. Christ! the dismembering of a retainer by female assassins is possibly one of the most violent things ever put on film.

This Filthy World (2006)
A film of John Waters doing a one-man show about his filmography, his life, his outlook and telling hilarious stories about the wonderfully weird people he knows, or who have inspired him. The way he tells it, the world has outrageous, oblivious and entertaining perverts round every corner. I can't recommend this enough, it'll brighten your day, however it does have a couple of flaws. Firstly it's crying out for clips of his movies to be edited in for illustration, secondly he's often referencing specific people, news stories and urban legends that are very early 2000s, very niche and very American. So if you're watching this at home and not familiar with the references, I'm sure the pause button and Wikipedia will be your friend.

NSFW trailer:

White Squall (1996)
I always thought that his brother Tony knew exactly what he was doing with 'Top Gun' but I'm less sure Ridley Scott was aware of the homoeroticism of this true life adventure/tragedy. There is a lot of topless young guys wrestling and staring intently at each other. It's basically 'Dead Poets Society' at sea. 'White Squall' doesn't dispel the idea that Ridley's pre-'Gladiator'-resurgence 90s period was a creatively underwhelming time. The only thing that the film truly excels at is advertising Coke in every other bloody shot. Jeff Bridges is brilliant in almost everything but not here, he feels miscast. Until the court scene at the end, I couldn't tell if his character was supposed to be seen by us as noble and inspirational, or reckless and arrogant. The big dramatic action disaster at the end is well handled, perhaps that was the bit that Ridley was interested in filming, the story leading up to it was just something he was obligated to do.

Last edited:
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)
I absolutely adored 'The Royal Tenenbaums' back in 2001, Wes Anderson's third film but my first encounter with his work. When I eagerly watched his follow up 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou' three years later I didn't connect with it on the same emotional level, I found the inclusion of Seu Jorge playing acoustic covers of David Bowie songs in Portuguese to be annoyingly random/pretentious, and I could see why this self-indulgent $50million extravaganza had bombed. I kinda hated the film. Viewing it again two decades later I'm not really sure why? The burgeoning fragile relationship between Bill Murray's jaded, depressed, borderline ar**hole adventurer and what might be his long-lost hopeful son worked beautifully for me. The blend of stop-motion and CGI to create the imaginary aquatic world is fascinating. Animation projects aside, Anderson has not made the mistake of spending this much on a film again (he's never gone above £25m since), so has had an unbroken run of minor (sometimes major) hits. The money is all up there on the screen and looks dazzling but I don't think it adds anything that his other films lack.

Back
Top Bottom