• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

4k resolution

I still think there’s not much significantly better about 4K. We watch quite a bit of 4K now as Netflix has a lot of it and we sometime rent 4K (and HDR) movies through iTunes. I honestly rarely notice a switch. But I’m getting old. I got glasses in the past year and realize that my vision may have been suffering as early as 2014 when I started this thread (or when it was started for me). I suspect that now that I have glasses I may appreciate it a bit more if we still had the 8’ screen.

It's nice to have the best, but I'm perfectly fine watching old VHS tapes.  But when I watch 4K content, I definitely notice and appreciate it.

When you hook up your computer to a 1080p display (not for video, just using the computer), it looks pretty 2002.  4k fixes that.  Heck, for still images at close range, I can see the benefit of >4k (obligatory xkcd).

When you do non-native image resolution scaling, 1080p doesn't do terrible, but 4k does better due to the smaller pixels.  This covers everything from your out-of-the-box overscan setting, to 21:9 displays to PC connections.

So on the display end, I see the benefit of 4k.  I still have a 1080p display, but I've always been pretty sad about 1080p when I hook up the computer.

As for 4k content, comparing the same content, the difference is minor.  But the content's not always the same.  I have a 4k player and the UHD copy of the Big Lebowski.  Does that film need 4k resolution and HDR?  No way, but the regular 1080p Blu-ray is pretty underwhelming, and the 4k disk, scaled down to 1080p/SDR looks like the 1080p Blu-ray should have.  I'm not sold on 4k media per se, but there are some cases where the comparison is apples to oranges, and the 4k version is clearly better for unrelated reasons (similar to SACD's sounding better than CD's not because the medium was superior, but because a better audio master was used to create them).  Also, maybe some day I'll have a giant honking outdoor theatre projection system, and the differences that look minor now will become less minor.  But I kinda doubt it.

But I'm not buying another display until they do a better job with motion handling.  If we could get motion handling that could rival CRT or Plasma, that's the point where I'd replace a perfectly functional display.  Otherwise I'm likely waiting until it dies.  4k displays are nice, but not enough.  4k players on the other hand give you access to some nicer disks.

I bought a 4K tv when I last needed one because the prices weren't much different.

Back
Top Bottom