• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2014 Movies

They Nic Cage second billing????

I was on the fence whether I was going to see this in theatres or wait for DVD....

Universal has announced this movie will the launching of a shared Universal Monsters Movie Universe, which increases my curiosity factor greatly. As I am a HUGE fan of the old Universal Monster movies (especially the Wolf Man) and in many respects, the classic movies were one of the first ever onscreen movie-verses created. So it is interesting to see it come full circle.

But then again, Universal had similar plans with VAN HELSING, and we all know how that worked out.... :p

Why can't we just have an honest-to-goodness adaptation of Dracula the novel, in color and sound, without revisionist crud that makes him a tortured, sympathetic antihero or Judas or features Keanu or whatever?

... Probably because to do a great adaptation of the novel, you'd only need $50m at most, and you couldn't have massive battle scenes, and that's not how Hollywood rolls these days. Sigh.

Also note how patently Chinese his armor looks - Universal clearly cares far more about Asian ticket sales than anything Bram Stoker ever wrote. Which, okay, studio execs gotta eat, but they won't be selling any such tickets to me.

(Also, can we please now have a moratorium on twisting and darkening Tears for Fears songs?)

I just want a biopic on the real Vlad Dracula. Played by Joe Pesci. He's the only actor alive who could portray the sheer rage.

when I saw the trailer for this during Sin City, I said to my friend "why didn't they hire that guy to play Bootstrap Bill in pirates, he looks like an older haggered Orlando bloom and he probably would have done a better job than Stellan Skarsgard"

So, this forum never even started a Transformers 4 thread, did it? Good for us! :)

Anyhow, I watched this Honest Trailers with interest:

... and even I, no admirer of Bay's, was appalled by this:

tf4.jpg

... WTF?!

I haven't seen any of the TF sequels full through, but I've seen and read enough to know most of what there is to know about them, I think. And as awful as DOTM looks - and it looks like a complete waste of time - there's at least an ever-so-slightly endearing quality to its gleeful patriotic wankery. Bay may be a complete tool, but at least he sides with the US. This movie, despite all the Stars and Stripes all over the US stuff, looks utterly devoid of even that sliver of soul. Yuck.

Gaith said:
So, this forum never even started a Transformers 4 thread, did it? Good for us! :)

Anyhow, I watched this Honest Trailers with interest:

... and even I, no admirer of Bay's, was appalled by this:

tf4.jpg

... WTF?!

I haven't seen any of the TF sequels full through, but I've seen and read enough to know most of what there is to know about them, I think. And as awful as DOTM looks - and it looks like a complete waste of time - there's at least an ever-so-slightly endearing quality to its gleeful patriotic wankery. Bay may be a complete tool, but at least he sides with the US. This movie, despite all the Stars and Stripes all over the US stuff, looks utterly devoid of even that sliver of soul. Yuck.
A great Transformers edit would be shorter than the trailer.

Here's a trailer for a documentary that I'm sure [MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION] will be all over.

"Magician: The Astonishing Life and Work of Orson Welles" looks at the remarkable genius of Orson Welles on the eve of his centenary – the enigma of his career as a Hollywood star, a Hollywood director (for some a Hollywood failure), and a crucially important independent filmmaker. From Oscar-winner Chuck Workman.

This is a pretty damn good trailer for a remake of "The Gambler".

Neglify said:
Here's a trailer for a documentary that I'm sure TM2YC will be all over.

Indeed! Thanks :). The interviews with Bogdanovich and Callow give it the official seal. Plus I see Oja Kodar mentioned in the credits so perhaps she will have given the makers some rare footage, although I've seen all the vintage footage used in the trailer before.

This Doc looks amazing! :)

Wow, it's been awhile since I posted here. Well, let me fix that. Here's the lowdown on some Oscar contenders I've seen recently:

Gone Girl: Pretty fantastic. I loved this from start to finish. Fincher is great as always and so is literally everything else. A

Fury: This was alright. There's a lot of great scenes and things here, but it's slow to start and develop the characters. B

Birdman: This film is amazing. Brilliant, hilarious, maybe a little sad. Great performances all around (especially Michael Keaton and Edward Norton) and filmmaking that has to be seen to be believed. A

Nightcrawler: Super cool and kind of messed up movie. Fits perfectly into the gritty LA thriller genre, with a satirical twist. Pretty funny, pretty exciting, pretty good. B+/A-

The Theory of Everything: Pretty good I guess. The pacing could have been better (I found myself too often drifting out of interest with the story) and I felt that it sort of falls apart in the second half, particularly towards the end (which is mostly because of how the central relationship was handled). It's all really tragically conventional. Stephen Hawking's life and ideas are way too interesting for a film this trite. Eddie Redmayne is fantastic, though. B

​I will be seeing more, so look forward to more posts.

Nebula Awards are awarded by the Science Fiction Writers of America. The nominees for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation are-

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), Written by Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr. & Armando Bo (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Screenplay by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
Edge of Tomorrow, Screenplay by Christopher McQuarrie and Jez Butterworth and John-Henry Butterworth (Warner Bros. Pictures)
Guardians of the Galaxy, Written by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
Interstellar, Written by Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan (Paramount Pictures)
The Lego Movie, Screenplay by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller (Warner Bros. Pictures)

Did a run-through last year of the best of 2013. This year I'm not as timely, but here it is anyway:

My Top 10:

1. Interstellar
2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
3. Whiplash
4. Birdman
5. Boyhood
6. Inherent Vice
7. A Most Violent Year
8. Gone Girl
9. Snowpiercer
10. Citizenfour

Honorable Mentions: The Lego Movie, Wild, The Imitation Game, Selma, Nightcrawler

Best Action: The Raid 2

Best Comedy: 22 Jump Street

Best Sequel: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Best Superhero Movie: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Best Directorial Debut: The Babadook

Best Movie No One Saw: The Double

Most Underrated: Noah

Most Overrated: American Sniper

Biggest Surprise: Robocop

Biggest Disappointment: The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Some More Great Movies: Foxcatcher, Under the Skin, Jodorowsky's Dune, Ida, Blue Ruin

​Now bring on 2015!

They've reverted back to their original origin story, so I'm glad anyway!
Always have been a fan of X-Men. Can't wait to see how Bryan Singer saves the original franchise after Brett Ratner dumped a sh*tbag on X-Men 3. Really really excited.

Back
Top Bottom