• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Anchorman: The Alarm Clock Cut

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
AlarmClockAnnouncement_zpsc4bb3f63.jpg

Fanedit Film Name: Anchorman: The Alarm Clock Cut
Fanedit Type: TrueFan Edit
Tagline: The movie you were never meant to see.

Original Film Name: Anchorman: Wake Up Ron Burgundy / Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Original Running Time: 92 minutes / 98 minutes
Original Release Date: December 2004 / July 2004
Fanedit Running Time: 127 minutes
Fanedit Release Date: December 2012

Password: fanedit.org

Brief Synopsis:
Anchorman like you’ve never seen it before. This fanedit takes the primary story elements of the direct-to-DVD release of Wake Up Ron Burgundy and re-integrates them into the narrative of Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. In effect, this fanedit approximates the original version of the film that was rejected by preview audiences.

Intention:
Before release, the original version of Anchorman was shown to, and rejected by a preview audience. This original version of the film featured a subplot about a gang of misfit revolutionaries called the Alarm Clock. Based on that feedback Dreamworks ordered a massive re-write and re-shoot which eliminated the Alarm Clock, replaced it with the pregnant panda, and resulted in the film we all know and love like a Brick loves lamp.

Looking to cash in on the unexpected success of the film, they assembled a quasi sequel using alternate takes of various news broadcast scenes, deleted elements of scenes that did make it into the final movie, and the entire deleted Alarm Clock subplot and supporting story elements. To cover the narrative holes caused by critical footage already used in the theatrical release, they used narration to set up the film and bridge the plot holes.

In essence, Wake Up Ron Burgundy is an outline of the original film, stripped of the details used to tell the full story. While Wake Up is humorous particularly knowing the characters based on the theatrical release, it is disjointed and uneven, only allowing you to glimpse the story they originally filmed.

This is more a fanedit of Wake Up than it is of The Legend of Ron Burgundy. It does not seek to improve the theatrical film, but rather restore Wake Up Ron Burgundy to something that approximates the original.

Edit Details:
Sources:
Anchorman: Wake Up Ron Burgundy R1 DVD
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy R1 DVD

While Wake Up is essentially comprised of alternate takes, deleted scenes and the abandoned Alarm Clock sub-plot, between the two DVD's there are literally hours upon hours of extra footage; deleted scenes, extended sequences, and even more alternate takes and endings. I originally incorporated a few of these, but unfortunately unlike Wake Up, the rest of the footage is pretty poor and stands out when intercut with either film so I elected to stick to only footage between the two main features.

The primary approach was to remove all of the Panda scenes (including news references and discussions) and swap out with the Alarm Clock scenes. For the most part this was fairly simple because they used the same wardrobe and sets. Occasionally some liberty and/or guesswork was required in order to make the narrative flow in a natural manner and avoid major continuity or logic issues.

Additionally wherever possible I used alternate takes or re-inserted elements that were deleted but not specific to either version of the story. This was to help the overall film have a more different feel than the theatrical version.

Cut-List:
Noteworthy changes

• Used Wake Up (WU) opening narration in place of the theatrical, but cut back to theatrical as the helicopter touches down.
  • Swapped out much of the initial news broadcast with alternate takes used in WU including different at-home reactions such as the old-folks home.
  • Cut out Ron meeting Veronica at the party – integrated WU party into the end of the party scene followed by introduction of the Alarm Clock gang robbing a bank.
  • Trimmed the morning meeting as needed in order to swap out the Panda discussion for a discussion on the Alarm Clock robbery from previous scene.
  • Moved Ron coming home and talking to Baxter about Veronica to after meeting in Harkin’s office (this is now the first time Ron meets Veronica)
  • Cut out confrontation with Wes Mantooth in Sea Port Village.
  • Inserted Alarm Clock gang going over haul from their robbery and questioning Paul about the Manifesto
  • Followed by WU newscast that covers the robbery and segues into "I'm Ron Burgundy?" - this replaces the Brian Fantana report from the zoo. (Also of note, in the theatrical version the teleprompter that has "I'm Ron Burgundy?" is preceded by text from the WU newscast rather than the theatrical version)
  • Inserted the "Broadcasting with the Gods" portion of their date from WU into the normal date sequence
  • Inserted the WU portions of Tino's into the date
  • Inserted WU discussion in Ron's office about Veronica going on her first assignment, followed by WU version of Veronica's coverage.
  • After Ron apologizes to Veronica over Fondu, insert Brian, Champ and Brick driving by themselves.
  • Followed by WU meeting of Veronica in Harkin's office asking to follow-up on Alarm Clock lead
  • After Veronica anchors the news, insert cafeteria scene where Ron and team hatch plan to force Veronica out.
  • Use alternate versions of Ron and Champ crank calling Veronica.
  • Insert second robbery by the Alarm Clock from WU, followed by Veronica looking for tape to confirm her suspicion about Paul (which leads to confrontation with Ron in the Bullpen)
  • Insert WU scene of Veronica watching video after she wins fight with Ron.
  • Insert WU scene of Ron and Harkin talking about Ron doing his own investigative stories (in which Ron is disheveled from fight with Veronica and crying from mace spray)
  • Followed by Rip the Lid Off It sequence
  • Abridged the I don't fucking say fuck of the unrated cut.
  • Swapped out theatrical version of Veronica doing news solo and Ron watching with WU version where she covers the Alarm Clock story (instead of the Panda)
  • Inserted WU scene of Veronica under pressure on the job and feeling bad about Ron
  • Followed by WU scene of Jess Moondragon (shortened sequence)
  • From this point on the rest of the footage is pretty much from Wake Up. I created a hybrid of the News Team Assemble! versions and made pacing trims throughout the climax.
  • Added Wilhelm Scream to fight sequence, because it's the Wilhelm Scream.

Special Notes:
Dwight Fry, NJVC and Neglify all provided fantastic feedback, observations and suggestions based on the workprint and I am indebted to them for their assistance.

Release Information:
Dual Layer NTSC DVD

Special Features:
- Trailers from other faneditors
- Commentary tracks (not yet recorded, will be released later)

Cover Art:
alarm_clock_3Dview1.jpg

alarm_clock_3Dview2.jpg

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello disc art.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great Odin's raven, it's done? Awesome!

Love that last addition, by the way.

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This sounds good, such a great movie. I swear it gets funnier with every viewing.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure I agree with taking a great movie and intentionally making it worse. I recently saw Wake Up Ron Burgandy and believe I fully understand the decision to re-work the plot.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think you've misunderstood something here.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe. I know his intent is to make Alarm Clock into a complete film by incorporating Wake Up with Anchorman. It just seems to me that all of the Alarm Clock scenes are inferior to the Anchorman scenes made to replace them. Of course I haven't seen the edit yet, so who knows.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit said:
Maybe. I know his intent is to make Alarm Clock into a complete film by incorporating Wake Up with Anchorman. It just seems to me that all of the Alarm Clock scenes are inferior to the Anchorman scenes made to replace them. Of course I haven't seen the edit yet, so who knows.

Well he says it pretty clearly (to me at least) with his Intention.

L8wrtr said:
In essence, Wake Up Ron Burgundy is an outline of the original film, stripped of the details used to tell the full story. While Wake Up is humorous particularly knowing the characters based on the theatrical release, it is disjointed and uneven, only allowing you to glimpse the story they originally filmed.

This is more a fanedit of Wake Up than it is of The Legend of Ron Burgundy. It does not seek to improve the theatrical film, but rather restore Wake Up Ron Burgundy to something that approximates the original.

This improves Wake Up Ron Burgundy. It doesn't try to improve Anchorman. The theatrical cut of Anchorman is damn near perfect as it is. This tries to approximate the version of the movie test audiences saw. Of course it won't be a 1:1 test preview version, as we don't know exactly what that looked like. Not to mention, since L8wrtr was the one in charge of this, he had final say on what went in and what didn't. There are alternate takes of dialogue that are present in Wake Up that he chose not to go with, using instead the superior Legend version. This is because he didn't want to make a complete pile of cat poop.

Think of it like this.

You have Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. A masterpiece.

Then you have Wake Up Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie. A Frankenstein's Monster of a film, assembled from deleted scenes and adding narration to make sense of things.

Then you have Uncanny Antman's Anchorman: Whammy Edition. That takes the best bits from Wake Up and adds them to Anchorman, giving you a fun Extended Edition for Anchorman.

Finally you have The Alarm Clock Cut. This is a hybrid version of The Legend and Wake Up with the intention of looking at what could have been, had they not previewed it first. In essence, this fanedit is a perfect way to teach the value of having a test audience and reshooting and re-editing a movie. You can compare Alarm Clock to Anchorman theatrical to see how McKay and Co. got to where they ended up.

I'm Neglify, and thanks for stopping by.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can buy that explanation. Stay classy!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8, did you do that cover art?

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify, thank you for so perfectly articulating the project! I literally could not have said it better myself.

Rogue, yes good sir, that is my first formal DVD cover release. It's not up to Rogue standards, but think I at least didn't embarrass myself.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Im impressed, L8, Nice work, you should be proud! :thumb:

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Im impressed, L8, Nice work, you should be proud! :thumb:

I learned quite a bit from working with you, so your seal of approval is a huge compliment, thanks!

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stretch, pm received. I'm away from the house but will follow up when I get home. Won't be a problem.

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, L8, I'm looking forward to it. BIG fan of Anchorman right here.

By the way, just in case you care and didn't already know, there is a typo on the back of your covers. The one I found is at the end of the first paragraph: Wake Up Ron Burbundy. It's not really earth-shattering, I know, just thought you might like to know.

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Then you have Uncanny Antman's Anchorman: Whammy Edition. That takes the best bits from Wake Up and adds them to Anchorman, giving you a fun Extended Edition for Anchorman.

I keep hearing good things about this edit. ^ Kinda wish it was still available. :-(

Top Bottom