• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

LA LA LAND - NO DANCING EDITION TRAILER ADDED A Last impressions edit COMPLETED

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have added a trailer for anyone who is interested. The edit will be released in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you

can i make La La Land...well how can i put it ...Man/ Boyfriend Friendly...(sorry for the male chauvinism) Its actually an impossible task but i'm having a good go. By no means did i intend to make an edit of La La Land. I have far too many other edits of personal interest that do not get enough attention of mine to complete, to get wrapped up in such an endeavour.

Family movie night in my house and the girls (i'm thoroughly out numbered) chose La La Land. I do enjoy Ryan Gosling's and Emma Stones work but could i sit through such pastiche. I adored Damien Chazelle's Whiplash and i do love a bit of Jazz so i thought why not give it a go, it won numerous awards - right?.......and boom within five minutes i felt like banging my head against the wall. I mean c'mon the kids from Fame dancing on cars in a traffic jam...followed by an all girl Bucks Fizz getting ready for some really shallow shit LA Party all the while singing an awful song in awful voices. That's it i've had enough - please please emancipate me from this tripe. It was time to head to the kitchen for a cup of tea....i managed to escape. Then whilst i was in the kitchen i heard the piano piece Seb plays at his restaurant job and was drawn back to the TV screen. I sat down and thought i'd give the movie another 10 minutes of my time. I started to warm to the characters and managed to see the movie out. I was quite pleased that i stuck with it...never make your mind up on first impressions ...no pun intended.
I did however have a gripe with some of the dance scenes and the awful John Legend song just made my ears bleed. This got me thinking about editing the film for my own enjoyment. I liked the idea of the central story - two ambitious characters trying to make it big in Hollywood - will they or won't they succeed and if they did would it be at a cost to their relationship. My intention was to cut out the opening two song and dance numbers and then leave it at that but then i got scissor happy and started to think whether the film would work with no dancing at all...could i turn La La Land into a nice little indie flick rather than the big blockbuster musical it has become...could i cut away the chaff and would it still succeed as a movie...only time will tell....here goes:

I have knocked up a little poster

setsEUo.jpg

I want the happy ending edit, I quite liked the dancing.

revel911 said:
I want the happy ending edit, I quite liked the dancing.

This is a no dancing edit ...so sorry :)

my ending will be more of a quiet contemplation.

No dancing? Aw man. My favourite parts in the movie where when they weren't talking and saying stupid things...

Do you plan on toning down Ryan Gosling's white-saviouriness at all?

Zamros said:
No dancing? Aw man. My favourite parts in the movie where when they weren't talking and saying stupid things...

Do you plan on toning down Ryan Gosling's white-saviouriness at all?

Personally I only disliked the first two song and dance numbers - The traffic jam and the girls getting ready and going to the party. I also didn't like the John Legend concert sequence. I can't stand that song and I will attempt to shorten it. They play the song almost in its entirety . Maybe it was in John Legends contract that he had to promote how wonderful is ...music video style. The rest of the movie I didn't mind - I thought it was quite sweet.
In future I will continue to watch the film from the point Mia walks home after her car gets towed. I will probably make a bluray from that point on but I may as well just fast forward the movie a few chapters and
save the effort :)

This edit is more of a little experiment to see if the film could work with out any dancing...and that is what I will attempt to achieve ...as for Ryan Gosling I know what you mean but i'll leave his character as he is......however if he ruins Blade Runner in the next few weeks , me and him will have serious problems LOL

Last Impressions said:
Personally I only disliked the first two song and dance numbers - The traffic jam and the girls getting ready and going to the party.
I also didn't like the John Legend concert sequence. I can't stand that song and I will attempt to shorten it. They play the song almost in its entirety . Maybe it was in John Legends contract that he had to promote how wonderful is ...music video style. The rest of the movie I didn't mind - I thought it was quite sweet.
In future I will continue to watch the film from the point Mia walks home after her car gets towed. I will probably make a bluray from that point on but I may as well just fast forward the movie a few chapters and
save the effort :)

I can stand to lose both of those tbh, the first added nothing to the story and the second was kinda pointless. The John Legend song was supposed to be vacuous and terrible though, no? It would be nice not to have to sit through the whole thing, though.

Last Impressions said:
This edit is more of a little experiment to see if the film could work with out any dancing...and that is what I will attempt to achieve ...as for Ryan Gosling I know what you mean but i'll leave his character as he is......however if he ruins Blade Runner in the next few weeks , me and him will have serious problems LOL

Usually extended dance sequences bore me, but because I wasn't much of a fan of the story of La La Land, they were the best part for me. I'm interested to see this edit, nonetheless.

Blade Runner looks more Winding-Refn Gosling than generic RomCom Gosling, so we'll see!

Zamros said:
I can stand to lose both of those tbh, the first added nothing to the story and the second was kinda pointless. The John Legend song was supposed to be vacuous and terrible though, no? It would be nice not to have to sit through the whole thing, though.
Usually extended dance sequences bore me, but because I wasn't much of a fan of the story of La La Land, they were the best part for me. I'm interested to see this edit, nonetheless.

Blade Runner looks more Winding-Refn Gosling than generic RomCom Gosling, so we'll see!

Regarding John Legend - you are right it is meant to be vacuous- I just don't want to hear the song for 5 minutes - I get the point Mr Chazelle.

Oh now your talking - I loved Only God Forgives - hopefully we will see that kind of performance in BR 2049

I have only seen about half of La La Land. Couldn’t get into the musical aspect this edit has caught my eye

Good luck with this.
I had been really looking forward to La La Land, and then I wasn't.
The hype.  The blind notion that this was the first musical since the 50s!!
Really?
Straight Outta Compton?
If that's not "musical" enough, how about Everyone Says I Love You, Moulin Rouge!, or another songfest that came out in 2016 and was utterly ignored by myopic Academy voters, Sing Street.
La La Land.  Yes, lose the dancing.  Maybe you can reloop the feeble singers with decent ones.
One hopes.

Vultural said:
Good luck with this.
I had been really looking forward to La La Land, and then I wasn't.
The hype.  The blind notion that this was the first musical since the 50s!!
Really?
Straight Outta Compton?
If that's not "musical" enough, how about Everyone Says I Love You, Moulin Rouge!, or another songfest that came out in 2016 and was utterly ignored by myopic Academy voters, Sing Street.
La La Land.  Yes, lose the dancing.  Maybe you can reloop the feeble singers with decent ones.
One hopes.

Thanks

I would'nt say straight out of Compton is a musical - its more autobiographical in the same way the Doors Movie or Coal Miners Daughter is..

Now Sing Street is definitely a musical but one that isn't so pastiche as La La Land...its a modern musical in the same way as John Carney's previous wonderful films , Once and Begin Again. John Carney is like my Andrew Lloyd Webber LOL.  

You'll be glad to know the only singing in the whole edit will be the crap John Legend tune...which Zamros pointed out in a previous post is meant to be crap ::)and  the City of Stars duet with both Mia and Sebastian singing...well after all they are performers ...right

In this edit i have taken out the Ryan Gosling - City of Stars song on the pier.

I was really looking forward to La La Land when I saw it... And then it was one of the only movies I've ever considered walking out on. :(  I should have, too.

The opening number was actually my favourite because the people in it could sing and dance, and it didn't seem embarrassed to be a musical. Perhaps your edit will be more bearable! It's an interesting idea.

Problem Eliminator said:
I was really looking forward to La La Land when I saw it... And then it was one of the only movies I've ever considered walking out on. :(  I should have, too.

The opening number was actually my favourite because the people in it could sing and dance, and it didn't seem embarrassed to be a musical. Perhaps your edit will be more bearable! It's an interesting idea.

The sad thing is I think I would have actually walked out of it in the cinema. It was only because I was at home and I heard the lovely Mia and Sebastian piano piece that I was actually drawn back in to continue watching it... obviously if I was at the cinema i would have been out the door and up the street and would have continued to this day thinking it was a load of drivel. The only film i have ever walked out on in my life is "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" when i was younger. Maybe one day i'll give that film another try. I have pretty good stamina when it come to movies and generally see the dullest of films through to the end.

Why not have a go at an edit. That is what i love about this website - the friendly differing opinions that translate into the individual edits.  The edits have to be personal to your vision of a movie for you to actually take the time and enjoy spending hours looking at the same scenes.... I will continue to watch La La Land from when Mia walks into the restaurant where Seb is tinkling the ivories . I will continue to watch all the song and dance numbers thereafter. But for me this La La Land edit is more of an experiment to see if the film could work with out the dance aspect

As for the opening number - i just hated it - all jazz hands and somersaults - i agree they are talented but hey so are Coldplay and no one wants to listen to that crap... :)

^You walked out on Roger Rabbit?

Not sure that can be forgiven...

As for Straight Outta Compton, I agree it's more a music biopic than a musical. Now 8 Mile? That's a fuckin musical!

It's funny too, because 8 Mile has a pretty similar story to La La Land, and yet is so much better because the songs fit the scenes and it's completely devoid of Hollywood smugness.

8 Mile is such a good film...

I like leaving in the duet, as it's a diegetic piece it can fit in nicely. It's a cute character moment and a song that actually makes sense in the plot of the film!

Please give Roger Rabbit another try ;)

Edit: Thinking about it now, the parallels between 8 Mile and La La Land are kinda staggering.

Problem Eliminator said:

^ this. also, the opening number (which is mostly goslingless and stoneless for a reason) set up impossible expectations for the rest of the movie, which never came close.

motivation for watching the remainder of the movie: stone reminded me of an ex-girlfriend. :heart:

Zamros said:
^You walked out on Roger Rabbit?

Not sure that can be forgiven...

As for Straight Outta Compton, I agree it's more a music biopic than a musical. Now 8 Mile? That's a fuckin musical!

It's funny too, because 8 Mile has a pretty similar story to La La Land, and yet is so much better because the songs fit the scenes and it's completely devoid of Hollywood smugness.

8 Mile is such a good film...

I like leaving in the duet, as it's a diegetic piece it can fit in nicely. It's a cute character moment and a song that actually makes sense in the plot of the film!

Please give Roger Rabbit another try ;)

Edit: Thinking about it now, the parallels between 8 Mile and La La Land are kinda staggering.

I'll definitely give Roger Rabbit another go. The fact it starred Bob Hoskins got me into the cinema in the first place but for some reason i remember walking out...it was nearly 30 years ago ...so my memory is'nt what it once was and i can't give you a specific reason why.

8 mile was a great movie too . I have'nt seen it since it came out so its about time i watched it again - it's only about £5.00 on Amazon so i will order it later. I'll look out for them parallels. Thanks

Of course the best musical of all time was Purple Rain by God :)........oh and i love the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas LOL.

ssj said:
Problem Eliminator said:

^ this. also, the opening number (which is mostly goslingless and stoneless for a reason) set up impossible expectations for the rest of the movie, which never came close.

motivation for watching the remainder of the movie: stone reminded me of an ex-girlfriend. :heart:

is being reminded of your Ex - girlfriend a good thing or bad.?..that could be taken both ways :)

Yes Miss Stone is lovely although im far too old for her....i first saw her in Zombieland .

Back
Top Bottom