• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Babylon 5

Some of the opening credits shots do exist within the episodes in HD (I know because I tried to make a higher quality version ages ago). e.g. The shot of the other soul hunter arriving on the station from episode 2:

one-102_23.jpg

Is the same shot in the credits IIRC.

Similarly like with the old DVDs, I bet there are processed SD shots (e.g. flashbacks) that can be recreated using the HD material from the episodes they refer back to (I know that was the case with the DVDs).

I'm not keen on the new title stings where ad breaks used to be. I prefer the less obtrusive fades to black from the VHS and DVDs.

I'm not keen on the new title stings where ad breaks used to be. I prefer the less obtrusive fades to black from the VHS and DVDs.
TITLE STINGS? Seriously?

I just can’t abide the Babylon 5 caption every 15 minutes during these remastered Blu-ray presentations.

It’s absolutely appalling. It’s not how the product has been made available anywhere else and quite frankly with 10 days still left to return it, I’m seriously thinking of sending this back and getting a full refund. I much rather keep the high def version I purchased from Apple then be interrupted a total of 330 times over the entire series. It’s just appalling. Who the F thought this was a good idea?

We also have the amazing Babylon 5 project by @subjectzero available and quite frankly, I have neither the time the stamina and all the energy to rip these and excised myself exclamation mark that’s not what I paid for.

Anyone else feeling the same way?

The only way these things will change as if we vote with our feet.

Lazy, lazy, lazy

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand the complaint. What is the caption you're seeing every 15 minutes? Can you show a screenshot?

Not as bad as I thought, but every episode has at least one ad bumper

It’s in the first ad break if every episode …. The rest are removed except for 5 eps that have it every 15 mins… read the article above…

Catastrophic mess…
I’m sending back…
£100…. N F W !

Frankly, not the only issue.
I’ve been scanning a few eps, and many panning vfx have a stutter to them and not smooth.

I’m increasingly not happy with it.

I only kept The Godfather 50y 4K box coz it has Part 3 Theatrical on 4K, but the color grade is a catastrophe on Parts 1 & 2. Ciao golden patina!

If consumers tolerate tripe, tripe is what we shall increasingly be served!

Think I’ll open it up before the return deadline and see how bad it is. Based on what you’re saying, I feel like it needs to be returned too 😒

Below are the episodes and approximate timecodes for the “bumpers” which haven’t been removed:

Season One, Episode 20* “Babylon Squared” 09:59-10:05
Season Two, Episode 14 “There All the Honor Lies” 11:15-11:20
Season Five, Episode 5 “Learning Curve” 14:17-14:24
Season Five, Episode 6 “Strange Relations” 11:07-11:13
Season Five, Episode 22 “Sleeping in Light” 11:09-11:15
and the first commercial break “bumper” is left in on every remaining episode!

I have already:
  • Upscaled my DVDs to BD years ago...
  • Burnt @subjectzero 's version to Blu Ray
  • Burnt my HD Digital versions to Blu Ray
Do I really want a substandard viewing experince that will annoy me every single time I watch? For a marginal quality boost?
NOPE!

They could not even be bothered to pay up to port over the commentaries and extras for crying out loud...
SERIOUSLY folks!?

I've dropped Bill Hunt a note at The Digital Bits on this as well...

WE NEED TO MAKE SOME NOISE!

• REASON FOR RETURN?
  • "NOT ADEQUATE QUALITY"

WE NEED TO MAKE SOME NOISE!

• REASON FOR RETURN?
  • "NOT ADEQUATE QUALITY"
I would think they'll just shut it down and go digital only if people make a big enough stink. Babylon 5 is niche.

Wow, why?! I guess I'll stick with my DVDs and (as you said) subjectzero's Babylon Project.
Why????

Here is secret footage of the QC team of weekend course attendees typing their report to WB management about the masters…

Monkey Keyboard GIF

They don’t know
They don’t care
They have never watched linear tv
They didn’t look at the dvds
They didn’t compare to the streaming masters
They didn’t spot the run time difference
They have zero eye for detail
They are just looking to tick a box and get paid!
THATS WHY…

Do I sound disillusioned?

How does the color grade of the BD compare to the HD digital one? I think the digital one is kind of ugly looking. Like it's too blown out or something. I'm not really sure how to describe it but it's always felt a little bit off to me.

Have you watched it?
No. I own the digital that has some of the visual issues people are citing. I'm reading the posts about the rest. Yeah, it seems to be lacking some extras, but it seems to deliver picture wise. As much as I like B5, I don't think they're going to cater to the small group of complaints that will come in from die hard fans.

Do I sound disillusioned?
👀

Likely one of the greatest tv series made IF… you can survive season 1.

Without spoiling it, it was the series that created the 5 year arc and concept of telling a single story… over a long run. The issue is that the networks would not buy that concept so JMS (writer creator) had to fool the execs into believing it was episodic. So season 1, which does have some stand out episodes, does okay overall weakly compared to the express train if quality which kicks off in season 2. However, every episode has a relevance to what is to unfold… so it must be watched. It is possible to skip about 8 of those eps, but not advisable.

You just have to trust that intelligent people who keep telling Utah rest are not idiots or part of a B5 cult…

It paved the way for the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, Lost ( bad end), FRINGE (similar season 1 disguised issues)… and many more.

Once you finally are aware if what is ACTUALLY going on, and what the stakes are, it becomes and a seaside binge fest.

My son and I about 15 years ago watched it ALL again, in just 7 days…

Tip
Do NOT watch the B5 movie In The Beginning until half way thru season 4…. That would be catastrophic…

Anyone who says otherwise to you, dislikes you….

Others ….
Do you concur?
Like if you do…

Dig MUST experience this.

The B5 Project does eliminate some of the issues BUT, at the cost of natural flow and character development..

Sermon endeth!

Back
Top Bottom