• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Steel of Man. Restructured, Regraded, Rekindled!

Don’t mind me chiming In. Just a fella stepping through.

I absolutely adore those rounded corners on Pa Kent’s frames.

How did you do that?!?

I absolutely adore those rounded corners on Pa Kent’s frames.

How did you do that?!?
Thanks ^^
That is using fusion. basically it's just a rectangle mask with the corner radius increased and the edges softened. :)

Edit: sorry, that wasn't enough information.

8t2fChN.png
Make a solid colour

HMeObA3.png
turn it into a compound clip so you can apply fusion effects

kIE6XGt.png
Add rectangle mask to it and change settings how you like

Last edited:
What about using actual 4K footage from a disc? If it’s that important, seems worth it.

I often use larger footage for complex fx (though none like this) and then downsize for better results.

It’s worth the new external drive, imo! There are great guides to ripping 4K in here!

Topaz can work too, I use it a lot too when I can’t find 4K, but it definitely takes repeated tests to find what works best.
Well looks like I'm eating crow today.
Turns out I had been converting to my 1080p preset and at not so good quality.
I'd used my 4k hdr preset, but it was so problematic matching the grading as I couldn't find the right LUT and I couldn't see the point, but when I tried playing with Topaz, I could see the differences.
What I decided to do was preserve the colour channels that I already had and use the luminosity channel from my 4k files.
I have to say it's actually looking pretty darn nice.
1jS3c1l.png
bWrGZJw.png

I still don't know if it will all fit well with MoS footage, but I am satisfied with this quality.

Thanks ^^
That is using fusion. basically it's just a rectangle mask with the corner radius increased and the edges softened. :)

Edit: sorry, that wasn't enough information.
No problem at all. Thank you! I work in premiere, but this is still very helpful.

The more skills I learn, the more tools I can use to be creative! There's something about rounded corners that's very new. Ever since I saw that A Ghost Story by David Lowery, I've been trying to find excuses to use it on a fanedit at some point.

No problem at all. Thank you! I work in premiere, but this is still very helpful.

The more skills I learn, the more tools I can use to be creative! There's something about rounded corners that's very new. Ever since I saw that A Ghost Story by David Lowery, I've been trying to find excuses to use it on a fanedit at some point.
Always follow your instincts 😉
If it fits, you'll know deep down.

I'm not familiar with that movie, I'll take a look!
I got my inspiration for a different frame size from 'Everything Everywhere All At Once'.

Well it doesn't look like I'm getting any more feedback, thanks to those who've watched and given me valuable assistance!
I should think about submitting this to the database and making some sort of trailer. not really relishing the thought of doing the trailer.... but needs must.

I'm pretty sure this is not my forte.
I sort of think it works, but for some reason I'm intensely unhappy with it. I just think the text maybe doesn't work at all. But I've done WAY TOO MUCH animation with text over the past two weeks and I don't wanna do more of that...

I think the trailer concept is solid.

But yes, I think it would benefit from a different, more dynamic font.
And I must admit, the opening footage from Superman III had me both confused and excited, as I at first thought somehow you worked that material into this project. Making trailers for fan edits can be challenging but I think you are on the right track. :)

I think the trailer concept is solid.

But yes, I think it would benefit from a different, more dynamic font.
And I must admit, the opening footage from Superman III had me both confused and excited, as I at first thought somehow you worked that material into this project. Making trailers for fan edits can be challenging but I think you are on the right track. :)
Would something like this be enough? I can do this in fusion without going to too much trouble. If it's no good, I'll just have to take my time and do a proper job. Not sure what program would be best to get a similar effect to what classic superman did. or maybe something else entirely would be better. but whatever I have, It would need to be easily repeatable for each set of text. I've had my fill of individually animating words. XD

That's neat. Definitely provides a bit more energy to the trailer.
Though you could add a slight "whoosh" sfx when the text streaks.

Honestly, I would not stress out too much about the trailer. A vast majority of fan editors don't even bother anymore -- which I think is a shame, as I believe it helps sell your idea to potential viewers. Whatever you do, just make sure you are having FUN doing it. This is only a hobby after all, and if you are not having fun, then what is the point? 😁

Thanks very much! It's the first time I did a trailer, never bothered for my other edits, but I was told that for this edit it was worthwhile promoting it.

I agree about the woosh sound. I'll definitely do that too!

Right then, this is done. I'm really pleased with this. It makes me smile.

I'm also very pleased with this design for the cover. I wanted to do something radical here. I was not happy with the idea of using my poster for the cover either. I decided to be bold here and I'm very happy with this too. It's unconventional but I am adamant that this is how it must be.

full

Should be this weekend :)
Just checking if I have all my submission materials and info in order.

Woww awesome trailer and poster!
We can feel the optimistic, hopeful feel inherent to Superman movies.

Is it a typo that the title is not "Steel of a Man", same as what you wrote at 3:01 in your trailer?

I can see what you're suggesting, but a grammatical error can be acceptable in titles sometimes, though in this case it requires the viewer to stretch a little and use the plural definition of the word 'man' to mean 'mankind'. not only that, he is metaphorically a piece of steel that has the essence of a man. It's very multilayered and can be interpreted in an array of different ways.

Just need to drop this here.

k42q6uuwd1421.jpg

The work is done. submitted to IFDB, files finalised and uploading to my cloud.

Last edited:
Right then, this is done. I'm really pleased with this. It makes me smile.

I'm also very pleased with this design for the cover. I wanted to do something radical here. I was not happy with the idea of using my poster for the cover either. I decided to be bold here and I'm very happy with this too. It's unconventional but I am adamant that this is how it must be.

full
Daaaaammmmmmnnnn! That trailer concept worked better than I thought it would. Awesome!

My own personal reflection on this project. Being so much more extensive than previous projects and this movie being more structurally complex and with more layered audio than the others, this project was pretty huge in terms of just the editing. I'm not even talking about any sfx I may have worked on. Just the basics, was hard going and I have felt rather overwhelmed at times. I also went pretty bold with my choices and tried a lot of new techniques for the first time. I learnt a lot that is for sure. I just finished watching for the first time myself and I have to be honest, I'm not happy with how it turned out. I'm really not sure that my new structure works well. I succeeded in my goal but I'm questioning whether my goal was the right one. I also realised how the scene changes can alter the way the music flows and I would make much more use of the AI audio separation that was introduced to me by Lantern51, if I were to do this project again. At this stage though, I have too much fatigue for this project so it remains as it is even if I'm not happy.

I'm prepared for some less favourable reviews for this one. That is my own personal view. I don't think it's my best work and I hope people can feel confident enough to be honest about their feelings. Perhaps I am being harsh with my criticism, and maybe the reviews will be better than I expect? It will be interesting to see!

Thanks for sticking with me on this you guys :)

Back
Top Bottom