• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars The Dark Redemption - The FanFilm Edit (COMPLETED w/new audio mix)

Have you considered maybe making a "Tales From The Star Wars" anthology series using a few of the short fan films edited to your liking? It might be cooler than just a single 20-ish minute short/fan film

That would be really cool idea, especially that lately there have been released some cool fan-films like 'Darth Maul: Apprentice" or "Kara" :) But maybe it would be better, for know, to complete at first this one ? :)

JJE-187 said:
Have you considered maybe making a "Tales From The Star Wars" anthology series using a few of the short fan films edited to your liking? It might be cooler than just a single 20-ish minute short/fan film

I did consider doing a DVD compilation of several short SW fanfilms, but what I decided to go with instead is to take some of the 20 minute fanfilms like Legacy Of The Force, Darth Maul Apprentice etc & add onto the DVD all of the making of videos, trailers, deleted scenes, bloopers etc. Do a complete film package of one film so that it can be as similar to the commercially released Star Wars DVDs. For those short films that didnt have anything more than the film & trailers, I was thinking I would add on other short films as a bonus film, like Emergence Of The Sith being the bonus film for Darth Maul Apprentice or Rebel Scum being the bonus film on the Kara DVD.

The other idea I was toying with is taking scenes from other Star Wars fanfilms in order to extend other films, like using shots from The Secret In The Sand & editing them into Kara etc, or editing Emergence Of The Sith & The Jedi Saga into one film for a longer viewing experience. Im focused on getting my edit of The Dark Redemption completed first, then I will figure out my next project. Films like Revan, Threads Of Destiny & Revelations will definitely have their own DVD, with the only changes I plan for each of them being the opening crawls being redone.

Ive also considered creating a 'Star Wars Fanfilm Saga', which Ive mentioned previously, but decided it really wasnt something that was neccessary. For that, I would have chosen the era of the film & then redone the opening crawl with an Episode number (ie Emergence Of The Sith edited together with Darth maul Apprentice = Episode I, The Jedi Saga = Episode II, etc etc). Just didnt see the point of doing that tho lol

Im doing the fanfilm edits for a couple reasons 1) I wanted a DVD set that would sit nicely alongside my official Star Wars DVDs & 2) there have always been elements of some films that Ive wanted to tweak a bit for my own comfort (mostly opening crawls)). I may post a couple examples of the graphic design work Ive already done for a few DVD covers for fanfilms at some point if I can do that here in this thread...

revisit redoing the opening crawl in Powerpoint

How ? ;o

PS
Maybe some shots from "Holiday Special" prologue with Han and Chewie would fit into Falcon sequence ??

I have been looking at the Holiday Special for Falcon shots, however the tricky part with that is twofold 1) Own The Source rule; kinda makes it hard when it hasnt been officially released & 2) the quality of the video resolution doesnt match up with the rest of the TDR film so it would look somewhat off kilter compared to the rest of the film. This is why I elected to just use footage of the Falcon from ANH instead. Since I already own ANH on DVD x3 (in widescreen, fullscreen & the 'original theatrical releases' in widescreen), it made access to footage that would match up visually a bit easier for me. I have still had an idea of something to do edit wise with The Holiday Special, I just havent figured out what or how that will look. Sort of a maybe, if I get around to it kinda project for me

Hmm, I guess, there are some videos in better quality from HS. And about own the source rule, I think HS is similar case to fan film, as it was never officially released :) But, your fan edit, your choice of course ;)

Have u already decided about music ? I mean, what music will you replace, which part of OST will stay etc :) Cause, it would be good to replace opening-crawl music theme but for eg. this rock music in cantina is awesome and quiet fits with the film :)

I was thinking about the cantina music but I decided it wil stay as is. Mostly I think I will just change the opening crawl music & the end credit music to the more traditional Star Wars themes. The rest of the film flows pretty well with the music it has, so no point in messing with it now. As always tho, that could change. Once Im done tho, I will post a complete list of changes in this thread so people can see what has been done.

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/post/2013/10/04/Star-Wars-Holiday-Special-New-Recording Here's "The Holiday Special" in quiet good quality, that maybe could fit "Dark Redemption" :) The first scene (not the whole scene but some parts of it) would fit very well to the whole sequence. Especially some lines like: "All right, I'll give it a try" (that would fit so perfectly to the moment of releasing cargo. Han says this and throws away the Jabba's spice) "That's it, I'm turning back", "I'm goin to lightspeed", "I know it's important day". It's your fanedit of course and it's your will, but you could at least think about it ;)

Thank you! This is definitely helpful, but Im going to throw in the dialogue from TFA once I get the DVD next month. This is the exchange btwn Han & Chewie 'I'll talk my way out of it, like I always do' *Chewie roars* 'Yes I do, every single time'. This is the exchange I thought would fit well for that scene myself, but that is just me lol

Yeah, I know u're gonna use this dialogue, but I think it could fit perfectly with some parts of this scene from Holiday Special. Especially that the scene from HS is kind of similar situation as they r escaping , chasing by empire ;) I think that mixing this scene, with this awesome scene you have already created and this dialogue from TFA would be something awesome ;)

+ u could use some shots from this HS scene, because the planet there is also orange :D So it could work as Kessel :)

btw. How's the project ? :) How's the Falcon scene, I'm really curious about this fanedit :) 
Previously you mentioned that you wanted to introduce somehow Leia, how she got the plans.

I think I got some idea:
In the picture, I simply showed how could you incorporate scene from HS when Leia and C3PO make connection :)
http://postimg.org/image/m8dus8yvh/ I think. the second solution is better :)

What do you think ? :)

Quick update

Work is progressing slowly with the edit, Im still trying to figure out how to match the aspect ratio of different sources of video to have everything seemlessly match up. At this point, Ive decided Im just going to finish with the Falcon chase scene, see what I can do with the Emperor re: voice & make a few audio changes with music & sound effects here & there. I did consider re rotoscoping all of the laser blasts & light saber FX as well, however Ive never done rotoscoping before so it would just be too time consuming to teach myself how to do that for this project. Considering that this originally started out as only a redo on the original crawl & closing credits, it has already sort of morphed into a much bigger project. Plus I really want to get this done & post a link so those  who wish to see it can :)  

If anyone does have any advice on other small changes that might be done, definitely lemme know as I am certainly not above seeing what I can do. At this point, the aspect ratio issues are the biggest pain in my butt tho lol

Kate

hey, 75th katie, thanks for being a good sport about the april 1 tomfoolery!

btw, the silent clip looks good.

No worries lol to be honest, I was more into the IGN/Netflix prank that they pulled on April 1st bc damn did that ever look like it would have been an awesome live action Star Wars series! lol I will admit, I was fooled by that trailer for about a second or two, but then realized it was probably a gag & I Googled & sure enough found that it was a hoax lol

Quick update

I have the majority of the video editing done now. All that needs to be done is the Falcon escape scene at the end of the film, redo the end credits & then see if there are a couple places within the film to add in new music. I have decided to leave both Boba Fett's & the Emperor's voices as is for now. Since this is a fanfilm to start with, I am also not going to mess too much with the audio of the film by remixing it. Again, I may change my mind later on over this but in the interest of getting the edit done it isnt a priority. The audio in the film is decent enough that it doesnt need to be in Dolby 5.1 or anything like that. I think the audio mix is sufficient for now.

Ive managed to eliminate some of the seriously cheesy/bad dialogue which has improved the film in my opinion. Originally I was shooting for a May 4th release date but there is a good chance that I will be able to upload the film to Vimeo & post a link in this thread for anyone who wants to see the final edit. To all those who are interested in what I have been doing with this fanfilm, thanks so much for all of your interest & comments!

I may or may not also post any DVD & BluRay artwork that I have designed for this fanfilm as well, really just depends on if anyone wants to see it really...

Going thru Star Wars game soundtracks today. Primarily the ones I really prefer are The Old Republic, KOTOR I, Galaxies, Dark Forces II Jedi Knight, The Force Unleashed I & II and Empire At War, tho I am going to probably look at music from both the Clone Wars & Rebels as well. Since this fanfilm takes place a few days before A New Hope, I think Rebels may have a couple of short pieces of score that could really fit well for scenes if I can find something. Today & tomorrow the focus Im taking is on places I could augment with new music score if possible. The weekend will be spent on the remander of the video editing to be done. 

At this point, Im a bt torn btwn leaving the cantina scene as is or using the track Hondo's Band from Clone Wars. I think it sounds amazing & would work well for the scene, but pulling all of the background conversation din of patrons & overlaying that with the new music might be more trouble than it is worth if it doesnt work well. This track from Clone Wars is much more Star Wars-y in my opinion, without being a rehash of the cantina band from A New Hope. I considered the Maz Kanata cantina music from The Force Awakens but it felt wrong even in that film to start with. With this lcone Wars track the female vocals have been omitted as well, so it wouldnt overpower the auditory sense of the viewer, so as of now that is one frontrunner for an audio change. 

Any opinions or suggestions on music score is most welcome tho :)

I tried to listen to "Hondo's Band" on YouTube, although the version from the soundtrack doesn't have vocals, but (according to the YouTube post) the TV version does. Which version are you planning on using? If it's the TV version, could you play us a clip so that we have an idea of what it sounds like?

With just the instrumentals, "Hondo's" sounds a bit repetitive, and at only 1 minute 10 seconds, I wonder if it'll have to be looped several times to fit the cantina scene in TDR. And considering how much you'd have to do to replace all the background talking, my inclination would be to leave the song alone. (Admittedly, I kind of like the song in TDR, so I'm a little biased.)

That's just an opinion, though. Do whatever will make you the happiest with the edit. :)

I was planning to use the track on Youtube, but after some work trying to insert it in it just proved to be too much to do, trying to balance & have the cantina noise & chatter seamlessly heard over the new music. Ultimately, Ive decided to leave that scene as is with the music & only edit out the rather weak bit of humour where Lt Pol Treidum hits on the woman in the cantina. It really was too cheesy to be in there. Her slapping him is still included but the attempt to pick her up - gone. lol

Today Im trying to get the Falcon escape scene finished up, the real pain in the neck is getting the aspect ratio of this scene to match up with the aspect ratio of the rest of the film. Once I sort this out it should be fairly straight forward. Then all that is left is the end credits really, with a more Star Wars end credits type music playing over the credits. This will be quite easy to do, so it wont take me long at all with that. As previously mentioned, it is my hope that this will be comepleted this weekend. Im shooting for Monday to have it all done, but Im taking things as they come rather than rushing it :)

I can post a list of all of the editing & changes made once Ive got the final film edit posted here for people to see as well :)

Sounds like you made a wise decision about the music.

I'm a little confused, though: Why is the woman slapping him if he's not hitting on her?

I don't envy your trying to get the aspect ratio thing figured out. Best of luck to you!  :)

Back
Top Bottom