• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Your ISP may soon punish you for downloading any material it thinks may be illegal.

Re that MarkMonitor site, I'd like to know how they plan to monitor usenet downloads as that's a private connection between the downloader and their ISP and if you use an SSL connection (highly recommended) even the ISP has no idea what is being downloaded just that data is transferred from usenet.

Checking what's uploaded to usenet is very easy though but trying to prove that a specific person has downloaded a specific set of data is, as I understand it, impossible.

Long live usenet. :)

Back in the day I got most of my preservations and fanedits via snail mail trades. Our art will continue, no matter what the internet landscape evolves into.

So when or how will we know when markmonitor has become active on our ISP?

The last I heard it was scheduled to roll out on everyone that was using it toward the end of November.

The fact that the website says they will be monitoring cyberlockers freaks me out a little bit, but also seems a bit empty. Between SSL encryption and TOR, I can't imagine it being terribly effective.

If I'm not mistaken, even peer to peer over private trackers should remain relatively safe.

At any rate, I'll be complaining vocally to AT&T about this policy at every opportunity. I'm going to increase the amount of legally sourced content that I download over P2P and over clearnet (in the hopes that they accuse me of infringement for something that I can prove isn't infringing, so that I can complain to law makers as well.)

It'd be great if we could the FCC involved but we need to prove that their system is as broken and ineffective as it can't help but be.

In all honesty, if I can't force a couple of false positives out of the system then there is probably a ton of infringing material that they are missing outright.

We'll see how it goes.

It's funny how things are defined in this world. For instance, my favorite thing about the now defunct demonoid was that you could usually find many Out Of Print (OOP) releases that even when you wanted to go to your local megadvd retailer or record store even (for those of you who remember record stores) with a fist full of dollars to plunk down for it you couldn't because it doesn't exist. This is the beauty of the interweb, fans worldwide can help with such difficult titles. Really it helps keep Hollywood burning bright. As for governments trying to censor artforms, viva la fanedit!

A friend of mine downloaded his last music album the other day. He decided that he had enough music on Vinyl, CD and hard disk to last a lifetime and therefore, did not need any more. He stopped listening to music radio and stopped clicking on links on Facebook/forums/etc when friends/peers talked about music. He couldn't really afford to buy 3/4 of the music he has in his house and wouldn't have been able to listen to and discuss it and promote it among his friends/family/peers if he hadn't downloaded it through BT. He strongly believes that the music industry made as much money out of him as they were ever going to and didn't lose any through him because he never shared what he had, apart from the occasional mix-tape/cd that probably ended up in the trash anyway. No, it was time for him to call it a day with the music industry and just never bother with it again. They have made their last cent from him and now he never has to worry about them complaining about 'illegal music downloads'. He does wonder though, what happens when his girlfriend buys a CD and he listens to it in the car with her. Is she illegally sharing it? Is he illegally downloading the sound from the speakers to his ears because he didn't pay for it? Who knows? Maybe this is what is next...

Metrostar said:
He does wonder though, what happens when his girlfriend buys a CD and he listens to it in the car with her. Is she illegally sharing it? Is he illegally downloading the sound from the speakers to his ears because he didn't pay for it? Who knows? Maybe this is what is next...
Ridiculous. Illegal sharing provides another copy of something.

TV's Frink said:
Ridiculous. Illegal sharing provides another copy of something.

I think there was a sarcasm sign being held up. But yes, ridiculous.

ajroach42 said:
There are either hosting files that, to the best of their knowledge, actually belong to the person uploading them (file lockers, like the ones info uses to host our work) or they are hosting link and identifiers for pirated material on other people's machines; they aren't, in fact, hosting pirated material themselves.

Well spoken, ajroach42.

Google is fighting the good fight on this one. Making companies responsible for links is insane and kills many business models. I care more about protecting these businesses than I do about personal liability or media copyright. It could undermine the entire notion of the Internet and the information age of the past decade. It is the equivalent of outlawing humanity's use of fire on the grounds that it might burn a couple houses down. Unfortunately this piracy paranoia with P2P networks and file lockers has led to some disturbing common law precedent on the subject.

Only way to monitor a private tracker is to join and participate and since most of them are now moving over to invite only they're gonna have their work cut out.

It was only ever going to be implemented on public trackers, someone read the services MarkMonitor OFFERS and conflated it with the plan that is actually going into effect.

wabid said:
It was only ever going to be implemented on public trackers, someone read the services MarkMonitor OFFERS and conflated it with the plan that is actually going into effect.

Public trackers aren't worth it anyway. No quality control, too public, and too many viruses.

With apologies to Mr. Practhett,

If you regularly use public trackers in this day and age then you are essentially standing on a hill, in a thunderstorm, wearing a suit of armour and shouting "All Gods are bastards!"

geminigod said:
Public trackers aren't worth it anyway. No quality control, too public, and too many viruses.
Sorry, that is user error. No person who knows what they are doing gets a virus from torrents.

nOmArch said:
Only way to monitor a private tracker is to join and participate and since most of them are now moving over to invite only they're gonna have their work cut out.

Not just invite only...

A friend of mine (Seriously. A friend of mine), was telling me last night about joining a music tracker. He had to go through an interview process that lasted three hours. They make you sit in an IRC channel after studying for the interview. You post the results from a speed test and just wait until the call you for your interview. He failed the interview twice and only passed on the third attempt. It took him three weeks to in total to join.

Metrostar said:
Not just invite only...

A friend of mine (Seriously. A friend of mine), was telling me last night about joining a music tracker. He had to go through an interview process that lasted three hours. They make you sit in an IRC channel after studying for the interview. You post the results from a speed test and just wait until the call you for your interview. He failed the interview twice and only passed on the third attempt. It took him three weeks to in total to join.

This is a very common private tracker pratice

A 3-hour interview, plus a test, just to join a tracker!?! That's insane. What's so special about the tracker that they'd have you interview and take a test to join?

Back
Top Bottom