• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Your ISP may soon punish you for downloading any material it thinks may be illegal.

To be fair most do not take 3 hours, but all do have a detailed interview process to help keep the site secure and not let MPAA moles into the site. However the BEST and easiest way to get a invite to a private tracker is by invite from an existing member. Usually speaking the interview process is waved due to the fact they hold the person who invited them responsible for the new users actions. So for an example if the invited user did nothing but hit and run on torrents the person who invited the person would contacted by the admins of the site.

For the record i am NOT advocating piracy or the use of private trackers, Simply giving information on how they work usually speaking.

Is this something new? I've been a member on a few private trackers for years now and never had to go through any similar process. Granted they had open sign-ups, but still. It would seem to me that if they're taking such precautionary measures in order to allow new members to join there must be some sort of piracy involved.

Let's all reread the rules before continuing this discussion.

Neglify said:
Let's all reread the rules before continuing this discussion.

rules said:
5. No Pirates. No discussion of piracy whatsoever. All posts which mention pirating material for personal use will be moderated. On a first offense the member will receive a warning. On a second offense he will receive an infraction. (See Section VI for more details.)

no one has mentioned pirating material, we have had an open discussion regaurding private trackers and Someone has speculated that extreme interview processes may mean that the hypothetical private tracker participate in piracy.

Where is the rule infraction?

No infraction, we're just growing a little uncomfortable with the discussion. We can't afford to look like we condone piracy of any sort, even tangentially or accidentally.

There isn't one. He's just giving a gentle reminder.

What reave and Frink said. I never called anybody out or said anybody was breaking the rules. It was a preventive reminder.

It starts today, apparently.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57...ystem-rolls-out-to-catch-illegal-downloaders/
Let's hope this doesn't hurt us. According to this though, it just tracks torrents (public only I think though, pivate should be okay, I think.), so other download methods should be safe. We all know by law, it's all legal but obviously others don't see it that way. If anyone does get a strike when downloading a fanedit please post about it.

emanswfan said:
If anyone does get a strike please post about it.

Only post if you get a strike for downloading a Fanedit. Don't be telling us non-fanedit torrents you be downloading.

I wish the companies so concerned with copyright looked at the history of copyrights and patents in the US and saw that there was a time in the US that people violated copyright laws to be able to afford the publishing of Mark Twain.
I think there has to be some balance to copyright law and monitoring of what people are doing on the Internet. P2P has been more than once seen as a legal program/method for transfers. The content is what is up for debate and monitoring it should be violating a few laws, but then again those laws aren't backed by millions of dollars :(

Simple solution is to get rid of DRM. It took the record industry over ten years to figure that out, and now the television and movie industries are making the same mistake. Give people what they want, without DRM, so that they can enjoy the content they paid for on the devices of their choosing.

This obviously doesn't apply to bootlegs such as movies currently in release, but it would help with everything else.

Since the only thing that really gets the movie and tv companies knickers in a twist is downloading current/new/unreleased stuff. I, personally, would be quite happy with a twelve month rule. ie you have a year to sell whatever it is you're selling, after that it's fair game.

Which pretty much is the way of things at the moment just not backed up with any kind of legislation.

Neglify said:
Only post if you get a strike for downloading a Fanedit. Don't be telling us non-fanedit torrents you be downloading.
That's what I was implying, sorry I should have made it more clear, edited now.

nOmArch said:
Since the only thing that really gets the movie and tv companies knickers in a twist is downloading current/new/unreleased stuff.

Citation needed.

TV's Frink said:
Citation needed.

The internet.

Have a gander at movie and tv piracy lawsuits for the last five years and tell me what people are being prosecuted for.

I'm not sure that equals "don't care."

Back
Top Bottom