• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Your "Editor's Holy Grail(s)"

blueyoda said:
I wouldn't call it a holy grail but I've always wanted to re-edit Red Planet as the atmospheric, contemplative science fiction movie it should have been, removing the shoehorned cgi robotic ninja dog, re-inserting some deleted scenes and replacing the awful soundtrack.
I'm not sure one can fully take the goofy out of a Val Kilmer-starring movie. ;)

nOmArch said:
Event Horizon. Well, the footage used to exist

I'd also really love to see the full 127 min version of Postal, at least that one is actually possible.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=3918

That version exists somewhere on VHS. I don't think it would ever be a high quality version, but at this point, i just want to see it.

Ziester said:
The R rated Galaxy Quest will probably (ok definitely) never see the light of day...

http://io9.com/5892200/somewhere-there-exists-an-r+rated-version-of-galaxy-quest

I would love to see those deleted scenes surfare somewhere.

Also, i would love to see all of the scenes of Tank Girl arrive on DVD/Blu-Ray. Not necessarily a movie in high demand, but it's just for my own personal interests.

Great thread idea!

I think for me, one that comes to mind is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which is probably my favorite HP film...and it is well known that there was tons of footage left out, much of it quite significant. Alas, it seems that these scenes will never surface.

Wow, cool news about The Wicker Man.
More Ghost World would rock too, I didn't even know more material was shot.

But the holy grail for me is beyond a shadow of a doubt Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. Of about 80-90 minutes of known deleted scenes, 50 minutes of high quality scenes have already been hand-picked by David Lynch and are known to exist in pristine 35mm film negative. They were cut to make the story more focused (and they were probably right to do so), but a more sprawling 3h FWWM would still be the best thing ever. It's especially frustrating since there's allegedly no restoration needed beyond scanning and simple color grading and finishing a sound mix (which I'm sure Lynch would help with for free since he loves the movie in particular and sound editing in general). Oh, well. It will happen. Some day.

My Holy Grail is for Lynch to start using chapter stops. :p

The Goonies. Because the script was still being changed while the movie was being filmed, allegedly there exists over an hour of footage that hit the cutting room floor. It undoubtedly would have been painful to watch the movie at the time with all that extra footage, but man, to see it now when a sequel is pretty much impossible! It would be like a half-sequel.

Unfortunately, the deleted scenes on the DVD are few, and they're rather lame. It's nice to see where Data's "octopus" comment came from, but the scene itself is just dreadful. And then there's the scene where Brand actually catches up with Mikey and the gang at a local store--but the scene inexplicably cuts before we see what happens next! The other scenes are just slightly extended versions of scenes we already have, and add nothing of significance to those scenes.

Ditto for the Jim Henson fantasy film Labyrinth. Neil Gaiman has commented on seeing a 3-hour cut of the film while visiting the Henson Company studios. What I wouldn't give to see that footage and be able to edit with it!

Again, that undoubtedly wouldn't have made for good viewing at the time, but now it would be great. And even more to the point, imagine how many different alternate versions could be made with such raw material.

I would love if the deleted scenes from A Star Is Born (the Judy Garland/James Mason version) are found. Unlike pipe dreams like, say, finding the Magnificent Ambersons scenes, the A Star Is Born scenes may actually still exist. The restored cut using stills with audio doesn't really cut it for me, although it's better than nothing, I guess.

BTW, if I ever become a world-famous movie director, I hope to release a DVD / Blu-ray set of each of my movies with clean audio channels, every worthwhile deleted scene, every available camera angle, etc. I want the fan editors to have as much "clay" to work with as possible.

I haven't yet figured out how to justify all that to the studio that would have to release it. But I suppose I should focus on actually becoming the world-famous director first. ;-)

I'm surprised (or perhaps completely not surprised :p) that this hasn't been mentioned here, but I''m pretty sure Lucas said there was a TON of additional footage shot for Episode 3 that never made it in.

Regardless of whether or not you like this movie, given how often it is fan edited, I think it would be nice to have access to all that material (and NOT in the unfinished or animatronic style Lucas provided the deleted scenes on the BD...boooo Lucas, boooo!)

As an add on to this, I really wish we could at least have access to finished 5.1 HD versions of the DVD deleted scenes for the prequels.

Finally, as an addendum to this, while I believe there are fan edits that have done this, I'd love to have a pristine BD release of the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL releases of the OT with full professional studio treatment, without any of the extra garbage added throughout their history of releases, presented with full 5.1 or better audio. (I know this is the opposite of the thread's intent -- less material instead of more, but well, it's an addendum!)

Star Trek: Nemesis. All the good character development scenes that would have helped make it a proper TNG send-off was cut because Stuart Baird wanted more "ACTION SCENES!!" What makes it worse is those cut scenes exist on the DVD's/Blu Rays, but are in such poor quality complete with an added water mark, I fear there is no way to properly use them. :(

Episode 3 had tons of footage cut. The original cut of the film had Anakin's fall revolving far more around seduction of the Dark Side and Palpatine's politics instead of the love story. They did a lot of pick-ups after the initial rough cut that emphasized the Love Story angle, this is why the two rebellion plot scenes were cut. That they are so complete indicates that the other missing scenes might also have been completed as well, but I doubt we'll ever know.

I'm a freak for Disney's much maligned The Black Hole. There are at least two deleted scenes that admittedly don't add a lot to the story but I'd love to have them regardless. But more impossibly, in the 'dream' realm I wish they had filmed and done post on the original ending they had dreamed up in which after entering the Black Hole, the surviving crew are scattered on a molecular level and turn up on Earth. The original concept had the camera spinning in on Kate's eye like the theatrical does, camera zooming closer and closer until it's just dots, and then pulls back in a sea of dots which then resolve into the fingertips of Michaelangelo's The Creation of Adam, then pan down to see Kate sitting at a pew. They hand't resolved if they were going to show all the surviving characters, or even what this ending was supposed to have meant, but they did go to the Vatican and filmed the needed shots.

Of course, the real problem was that ironically, for a story that focuses on what would happen if you entered a black hole, they didn't have an ending scripted even while filming.

edit: Oh, and regarding Galaxy Quest, the one way you can tell it had been planned to be raunchier is that if you pay attention to Sigourney Weaver's mouth in the scene just before the chompers, she clearly mouths "FUCK THAT!" but the line we hear is "SCREW THAT!"

I know this isn't exactly adhering to the requirements (since I don't know if the extra footage exists or not) but I wish "The Abyss" by James Cameron had more footage available to make a proper ending. I did my best with my edit, but there's really not way (IMO) make the ending as good as the rest of the movie with what we have available to us now. sigh. (And please release this movie in Blu Ray, Mr. Cameron!! ;-))

seciors said:
I know this isn't exactly adhering to the requirements (since I don't know if the extra footage exists or not) but I wish "The Abyss" by James Cameron had more footage available to make a proper ending. I did my best with my edit, but there's really not way (IMO) make the ending as good as the rest of the movie with what we have available to us now. sigh. (And please release this movie in Blu Ray, Mr. Cameron!! ;-))

possibly his best work, IMO, and a seriously awesome film. I hate the lack of love that it gets. The fact that it's only available on a shitty DVD transfer is abhorrent. No more dicking around with Titanic and Avatar, Mr. Cameron. Give us a proper Blu-ray release with all the trimmings.

Back
Top Bottom