• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

You all need to settle down

reticentmonk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am new here and so far have watched two fan edits (Krausfadr's Red Dragon: Definitive Cut and Wraith's Alien: Covenant Extended Edition.) If this is the quality of work that I should expect around here then all of you need to go in to the film profession and stop wasting your time here. If I had such talent I would be capitalizing on it. Seriously, shut the website down, purge the server of all data, burn the building housing the server down, and just go get filthy rich off your abilities.

Last edited:
I mean, I do this so I can train myself instead of wasting money on going to film school or failing to find an internship and so I can make whatever I want (within the limits of pre-existing media). Getting into the movie industry is really hard though, and it's usually not about skill, but whether you have industry connections (I have a cousin who's a comedian/writer, but that's about it). Also, unless you're a big shot actor or director, you have very little job security and the pay-to-work ratio (especially if you're in VFX) is not that rewarding. Unless there's more unionization, I'm not sure if it's a profession I want to count on to put food on the table.

I mean, I do this so I can train myself instead of wasting money on going to film school or failing to find an internship and so I can make whatever I want (within the limits of pre-existing media). Getting into the movie industry is really hard though, and it's usually not about skill, but whether you have industry connections (I have a cousin who's a comedian/writer, but that's about it). Also, unless you're a big shot actor or director, you have very little job security and the pay-to-work ratio (especially if you're in VFX) is not that rewarding. Unless there's more unionization, I'm not sure if it's a profession I want to count on to put food on the table.
Being someone who went to film school and now works an office job because I was screwed out of an internship with a certain House of Mouse, I second this.

@reticentmonk , this is a compliment to the high quality of FE's standards, right? I'm asking because the angry tone of your post is creating mixed signals whether you're praising FE or slamming it.
Oh absolutely a compliment, apologies if that didn't come across! I tagged the post as humor but I know that can probably get missed since the tags are tiny.

Oh absolutely a compliment, apologies if that didn't come across! I tagged the post as humor but I know that can probably get missed since the tags are tiny.
Sorry for the dour reply then lol, just kinda pessimistic about my chances

I enjoy editing, but only editing good content. If something has good bones but is messy it's a joy to clean it up, but if you had to do it for a job you don't have the luxury of picking and choosing 1 out of 100 films or shows to edit, you have to do the other 99 too, and that would suck. Especially since it isn't editing to your own standards, it's editing for film or episode length as well as to the director's specifications and not your own vision for how to best portray the content. Sometimes it's better not to spoil something you enjoy by trying to do it as a job.

I mean, I would LOVE to work in the film industry, but @unfair is right, you don't have much choice on what you work on, and your work is usually dictated by someone else. But a fella can dream

To be honest, I'm not sure if the skillset developed from re-editing completed movies is entirely transferrable to assembling a movie from scratch. And even if they are, I'm sure the professionals are much better at it. Personally, I'd love to just be in the room when some of these movies are being made and just be able to say "It'd be cool if you did that slightly differently".

Back
Top Bottom