• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Final trailer...
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azvR__GRQic[/video]

Ooh, I rather like the new poster for this movie:

tumblr_pr8n6c16eF1vh0g6io1_1280.jpg

Significantly less bland that most X-Men posters.

TM2YC said:
Ooh, I rather like the new poster for this movie:

tumblr_pr8n6c16eF1vh0g6io1_1280.jpg

Significantly less bland that most X-Men posters.

I agree. Looks fantastic.

I just want to say, upon watching a trailer for it fir the first time, I can't see bald James McAvoy without thinking of Split. I'm usually well engaged when watching stuff and don't just see actors as the other characters they've played, but this is the one instance where I can only think of him in that one role. Heck, I haven't even seen Split, just a couple of clips.
James McAvoy with hair in First Class and DoFP is fine though.

The review embargo has lifted.... mostly spoiler free....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pISf7sF32iE[/video]

The IGN review does reveal some important plot specifics, so beware...
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTl7jF_I8PQ[/video]

After Apocalypse, my expectations were already pretty low but out of hopeful loyalty I still plan on going to see it this weekend.

On the subject of spoilers, do not watch the Jimmy Kimmel interview as I did. Jimmy drops a MASSIVE spoiler early on and the cast all look confused and embarrassed. WTF?

Or just avoid 3.25-4.25, the bit he prefaces with the words "This is not a spoiler but..." :mad: .

Jimmy's not wrong. It is'nt a spoiler because the director confirmed it in interviews weeks ago.

I saw it btw.

It's kind of boring, but not offensively bad. Picks up near the end.
I agree with Stuckman about a character's "super hard" line...it's hilarious hearing it coming from that character :)

Is it better or worse than Apocalypse? And is it fixable? 

I'm gonna have a hard time finding someone to watch this with. My usual X-men cinema pal refuses to see it.

I love the X-series, both for its legitimately great popcorn flicks (X1, X2, FC, DoFP, Deadpool 2) and for its shambolic, experimental nature. That said, the mediocre reviews for this entry make me think I should wait for Redbox rather than pay current cinema prices to attend a funeral.

Since it became apparent that Disney would buy Fox, I've been kinda bummed about the inevitable end of the longest-running (not completely rebooted) movie superhero franchise that I've followed and loved since 2000. (Literally before 9/11, guys.) But if Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix are indeed both largely meh, despite the incredible promise of FC/DoFP, really, where could they go from here? Maybe do a Deadpool 3/X-Force, and then reboot the main franchise an an already-formed present-day team with a whole new cast, but would the general public get on board for a third stab at the same core characters without, say, the integration of the MCU to give it new life? I dunno...

Zarius said:
It is'nt a spoiler because the director confirmed it in interviews weeks ago.

Just because one person spoiled it weeks ago, that doesn't mean this isn't still a spoiler.
I avoided seeing it then and I'm glad it was pointed out here so I can keep avoiding it.

Just returned from the matinee showing, lots of mixed feelings and thoughts about this latest (last?) X-Men entry....

--Significantly better than Apocalypse, though is that high praise?
--the movie makes a point of saying it is 1992, but unlike the previous First Class movies, there are no obvious 90s pop culture references, fashion or music.  If it was not for the space shuttle this could have been present day.  Was this one of the mandates of the reshoots/editing to differentiate it from Captain Marvel?
--the first two acts are quieter, more character based which I appreciated unfortunately, many of the beats do not hit home
--all the performances are good, though I think Sophie Turner was miscast and does not have the range needed.. but again this may just poor direction
--there is an event that occurs that suddenly turns America against mutants again, except it is so poorly staged/edited/directed that the US gov't reaction seems like overkill.... again is this because of reshoots or an inexperienced director?
--just when you think the X-Men continuity could not get any messier, this movie happens.  Either the producers gave up or just don't care... in the end it is the long time fans that lose.
--best portrayal of Cyclops so far,  though not sure that is saying much?
--wow, Nightcrawler really went to the dark side... not sure how I feel about that scene?
--Magneto's character arc is flip floppy
--thankfully no Wolverine cameo!!!!
--the badguys....underdeveloped and one note....
--I thought the opening scenes of the X-Men launching to the save the shuttle and people around the world watching was very well constructed, felt very heroic and had lots of energy but then it quickly dissipates and never truly returns....  
--in some ways this movie plays very schizophrenic.... strong opening, exciting third act.... some good ideas and dialogue... but all the key emotional and character moments fail to connect with the audience, the movie struggles to draw the viewer in and make them care intimately about the drama.  It does feel like there are scenes missing or shots insert that do not align smoothly with overall narrative.
--all the angst, outsider/minority allegory that makes an X-men story unique among super heroes is mostly lacking...
--cinematography was very bland, scoring was serviceable and the CGI was decent

So what is better, DARK PHOENIX or LAST STAND?  Dark Phoenix is Jean-centric as it should be, and attempts to be more character oriented, but it fails to fully engage.  While Last Stand is a slick, more polished and exciting movie.  Tough call but I would probably go with Last Stand.

I liked Dark Phoenix.  It was okay.  But it plays like a studio tampered flick and I am left curious what the original cut looked like?  

Time to put this franchise to bed for a long, long rest as it played hard and is now very tired.

^ It looks as though I'll be waiting to Redbox this one, but I refuse to believe it's worse than The Last Stand. The Last Stand, as I've previously written, is an eternal crime against geekdom. :p

Funny, Dark Phoenix has not even been out a whole week yet, and already the studio and filmmakers are making excuses of why the movie is not succeeding....

--former X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner sent out a tweet making it clear she had nothing to do with DF or Apocalypse... wow, throwing someone under the bus...!

--It's James Cameron's fault.  He forced FOX to move DF from a Feb release to June for less box office competition for Alita.... how did that work out? lol

--uh oh, now DF is summer blockbuster, it apparently needs to be reshot to be more exciting....

What we know so far that was changed.... 
--there were more Cyclops and Jean scenes
--Storm had a bigger role
--the team was to split and turn against each other, but producers claim it was too similar to Civil War
--there was suppose to be an attack on the U.N.
--the entire third act was reshot, to have the whole team fighting the bad guys

I am sure more details will be revealed with time.  And while not a hot mess like FOX's Fan4tastic, it plays like things are missing.  Especially in terms of characters relationships.  I wonder if most of these (if they even exist) were cut because they were all set up for the original third act?  I mean what the hell happened to Nightcrawler?  Where did that come from????

I wonder if any of this will appear as deleted scenes on the blu ray release?  Maybe even a Rogue style cut??  Probably unlikely. :blush:

bionicbob said:
What we know so far that was changed....  
--there were more Cyclops and Jean scenes
--Storm had a bigger role
--the team was to split and turn against each other, but producers claim it was too similar to Civil War
--there was suppose to be an attack on the U.N.
--the entire third act was reshot, to have the whole team fighting the bad guys

There are some interesting claims in a thread on the Superhero Hype forums.

Here are links to some of the most relevant parts (spoilers, obviously):

https://forums.superherohype.com/th...oiler-discussion.548965/page-41#post-37708930

https://forums.superherohype.com/th...oiler-discussion.548965/page-43#post-37710642

https://forums.superherohype.com/th...oiler-discussion.548965/page-43#post-37710646

Most notably, it was supposedly going to be a two-parter, but had to be cut down to one movie due to the impending Disney buyout of Fox, and Jessica Chastain supposedly signed on to play Lilandra.

Looks as though everyone's favorite 2019 X-Men movie is getting the Star Trek: Enterprise treatment.  :p

Gaith said:
Looks as though everyone's favorite 2019 X-Men movie is getting the Star Trek: Enterprise treatment.  :p

I don't get it

TM2YC said:
I reckon he is referring to it being rebranded for home video

Oh yeah that makes perfect sense. Just checked and seems like that was the same with Enterprise. Interesting. Seems like after the box office bomb that was Dark Phoenix, Fox wants to bring in as much people for the home video release as possible. Makes sense.

They did the same thing with X2. It's usually X2: X-Men United on home video whereas it's just X2 in the movie itself, and X-Men United was just the tagline for theaters. (That in itself is similar to how the first X-Files movie now uses it's tagline "Fight the Future" as a subtitle.)

Back
Top Bottom