• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Womble users - how do you render your video?

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I have found out from other forum members that if you do any effects in Womble, you shouldn't render your project with it. So how do you render a project that you have done in Womble?

I don't think this belongs in DVD Authoring.

Oops. "Fanediting tools" perhaps? My bad.

Anyway, I'm curious about the answer as well. I found a few comments in boon's guide, but he refers to "encoding." I don't know if that's the same thing as rendering.

TV's Frink said:
Anyway, I'm curious about the answer as well. I found a few comments in boon's guide, but he refers to "encoding." I don't know if that's the same thing as rendering.

I guess I mean encoding, but people say womble is not good for encoding

Well here, boon says:
Note that with the exception of womble ALL these editors create best quality only when using an external encoder to mpg, like CCE or TMPGxpress.
Don't know why he says "except womble." There might be more info further in the thread.

TV's Frink said:
Well here, boon says:

Don't know why he says "except womble." There might be more info further in the thread.

boon is specifically referring to smart rendering video, and it only applies to video frames that do not have effects applied. What Gatos is asking about is video that does have effects applied (crossfades, text overlay, etc)

The latest version of Womble has pretty good color tweaking/crossfade effects - not perfect, but fine for an occasional transition or tweak.

you still shouldn't use the built-in rendering engine regardless of the preview quality. Avoid Womble's encoder like the plague.

No, I'm talking about the export quality, which is darn good. It's one thing to say that other encoders will produce perfect results, but saying "avoid it like the plague" is just hyperbolic, imho. ;)

I am going to call you on "pretty darn good." I've seen plenty of renders with Womble and the drop in quality is very noticeable. It's not much work to export it to a decent encoder, so there is no excuse for taking the hit in quality from Womble.

Guys, bear in mind that Womble had a new built-in encoder since Boon wrote the words previously quoted. I am not vouching for the quality of it because I have never used it -- but newbies should be aware that some of the information in the older guides is slightly out of date. The old encoder was indeed atrocious.

I'm also referring to the new engine. Like you, I haven't used it, but I've seen some output. Maybe some of that is from bad settings, but I still don't trust the built in encoder. As I mentioned previously, its not much effort to use an external encoder (one that has proved its performance), so I don't see a reason not to go the extra step

ThrowgnCpr said:
I'm also referring to the new engine.

Ah, I'm with you! I was just making sure people knew about the changes. :)

ThrowgnCpr said:
As I mentioned previously, its not much effort to use an external encoder (one that has proved its performance), so I don't see a reason not to go the extra step

I agree entirely. I wouldn't trust it either.

I'm looking to render a short collage into B&W, and since the Womble render is indeed somewhat grainy under these circumstances, am willing to consider other programs. Any suggestions (ideally for working with. wbp files)? Thanks as always. :)

Gaith said:
I'm looking to render a short collage into B&W, and since the Womble render is indeed somewhat grainy under these circumstances, am willing to consider other programs. Any suggestions (ideally for working with. wbp files)? Thanks as always. :)
My advice - don't try to go with Vegas Movie Studio if you steal my computer :p

Back
Top Bottom