• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Womble Encoder and Smart Rendering

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Everyone talks about Wombles encoder being pretty bad and if you are using any of their effects or transitions the work suffers a quality hit.

However, if you don't use any effects I was under the impression that Womble doesn't reencode anything. Just as a test, I encoded a small MPEG and clicked the details button. A window opens up and shows a full blue bar, saying 100% Stream Copy. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that mean that nothing has been re-encoded and therefore there should be no lose in quality?

you are correct. it did not reencode anything, and thus, no loss in quality.

ThrowgnCpr said:
you are correct. it did not reencode anything, and thus, no loss in quality.

Sweet. For a second I thought I was taking crazy pills!

Yes; it's always good to click on the Details button before smart rendering. If you have left a gap or forgotten to delete something, it shows up in red. It's helped me find errors on a number of occasions.

I have heard that there is a way to encode in Womble using an external codec. Is this true? And if so, how can it be done?

The method was found to be unsound, so I would not recommend it. You could use another program to makes dissolve transitions and the like, encode them and import them back into Womble, and then smart render.

I see. I read somewhere that some editions of Womble have better encoding than others. I have edition 5.0.0.107, from 04-16-2010. Do you know if it has acceptable encoding?

I think that version has the updated encoder, but the updated encoder is still poor.

I see. What exactly does the encoder do that is detrimental? Does it add pixelation or something of that sort?

It is possible to encode via frameserving with womble and get more than satisfactory results. The built in encoder however is pure crap.

reave said:
It is possible to encode via frameserving with womble and get more than satisfactory results. The built in encoder however is pure crap.
But what about what Captain Khajiit said about frameserving from Womble not working well?

Back
Top Bottom