• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Wolverine: Weapon X

Bailey

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
View media item 1550An edit of X-Men Origins: Wolverine

This was my first ever full length edit I did a couple years ago. I recently went back through and fixed a couple things that I am better at now and exported a higher quality version.

I got my hands on an X-Men Origins: Wolverine edit titled Codename: Wolverine by havok1977. I started to watch it and liked what I was seeing, except the video quality wasn't great as it is some years old and only DVD quality (or even lower than DVD quality). So, I had the idea to try my hands at an HD restoration. That is where this started. But in doing this, I realized that I didn't agree with all the changes that they made. Their version was an attempt to keep this movie more comic accurate, but it is soooo different than the comics. That made it very difficult to do that and made it a little disjointed. So, I scrapped that and started over from scratch. This is now my own version, inspired by Codename: Wolverine.

Changes include:
  • Logan and Victor are not brothers.
  • No Deadpool, he is still there but not referred to as "the dead pool", just Weapon XI or “the mutant killer.”
  • A lot of over-the-top action was trimmed.
  • Most of the silliness and bad attempts at humor are removed.
  • The bad CGI claws in the bathroom scene are gone.
Biggest differences between my version and Codename: Wolverine:
  • Did not add the two deleted/alternate scenes.
  • Logan did volunteer for the Weapon X program.
  • Silver Fox has powers.
  • Her drugged fake death remains.
  • She and Emma Frost are sisters. While I understand why this was removed in the other version, I feel for motivations this was better left in.
There are many small differences, but these are the biggest.
Credit to havok1977 for the great work on their version and inspiration for mine.

At the time of typing this, it has been close to two years since I initially did this edit, so I cannot recall all the changes that were made. I don’t have a detailed change list like I would make now. There are many small changes, but this is the gist of it.

Last edited:
I used to release all of my edits on Reddit only. I've been active here for a long time, but never released my edits here. I think I was a little nervous about the review process. Maybe? I don't really know for sure. It wasn't until I got so much good feedback on my two Die Hard edits over on Reddit that I decided to release them here. I have been releasing my older edits in reverse here since then, since I have been approved. The last one being this one. Going forward everything will be new. And my Terminator 3 edit is also new.

I know what you mean. Looking back on my Superman & Wonder Woman edits, I'm actually embarrassed I did submit them. They feel really rough compared to anything I edit now.

I know what you mean. Looking back on my Superman & Wonder Woman edits, I'm actually embarrassed I did submit them. They feel really rough compared to anything I edit now.
I've never watched them, so I don't know what you mean. I'm a lazy fucker. 😅

Nice! Codename: Wolverine was one of the first fanedits I watched, but my copy is even sub-DVD quality which makes it basically unwatchable now.

Not sure if you want to add/replace this, but the workprint version has some extra dialogue not in the theatrical. In the plane scene, Victor doesn't say to Wade "I think you're confusing with someone who gives a shit.". He instead says "That's funny, Wade. I didn't think you'd like girls." If you're feeling brave enough to download the workprint, go ahead. Just a suggestion.

Nice! Codename: Wolverine was one of the first fanedits I watched, but my copy is even sub-DVD quality which makes it basically unwatchable now.
I believe mine was sub-DVD as well, it was labeled as DVD quality, but it sure didn't look it. I never even watched it all. I watched a few minutes and couldn't do it. Me saying I was liking what I was seeing was more based off of the cut list that I read through than the actual edit.

Not sure if you want to add/replace this, but the workprint version has some extra dialogue not in the theatrical. In the plane scene, Victor doesn't say to Wade "I think you're confusing with someone who gives a shit.". He instead says "That's funny, Wade. I didn't think you'd like girls." If you're feeling brave enough to download the workprint, go ahead. Just a suggestion.
I haven't heard about a work print, do you know where it can be found? I wouldn't mind giving it a look.

I haven't heard about a work print, do you know where it can be found? I wouldn't mind giving it a look.
It's in a russian website, with both dubbed and undubbed option. The quality is low, but it has unfinished VFX. This also has Patrick Stewart without de-ageing effects and a continuity error with Wolverine's bone claws appearing and disappearing in each shot. A lot of Transformers music tho.

Last edited:
I found some things you might want to include from the trailer.
The wide shot of Wolverine lunging toward the helicopter is longer. Also, there is a shot of Wolverine without his claws. I'd include it for continuity's sake.
Here's the link as photos don't show up here for me. :(
Screenshot-20230516-161513-Chrome.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I added the images, but the imgur images don't embed correctly in the forums as webp file formats. I've replaced them with a screen capture of the images uploaded to imgbb.com

I really enjoyed this edit. I haven't sat down and watched Origins in years, but I remembered a lot more than I expected. The editing was seamless, I did not notice anything glaringly obvious or jarring, outside of a close-up of Stryker during the end fight that seemed to happen really quickly, almost like it was a blink and you'll miss it kinda scene (and that may not even be your edit, it could very well be the original, I didn't check). The rendered file was crisp, and the audio was great, I listened with Galaxy bluetooth buds and through my TV speakers, totally clear.

I'll be giving every area 5/5 stars except for narrative, as there is one thing I noticed. When Victor stomps on Logan and we cut to black and fade in on Wolverine being bonded to the Adamantium, I could tell something was removed. For starters, the implication I got was Sabretooth brought him to Stryker, but that would also be Logan's assumption too, yes? But later he's shocked to learn Sabretooth is working for Stryker. That and Logan just has his dog tags back without explanation, and now they say Wolverine, despite it being a name he picked for himself after leaving them behind. I know you don't want Logan volunteering himself to the program, but in my mind it fixes both of these issues, and that scene has great foreshadowing with Stryker swearing on his son's life—a macabre twist that I feel doesn't hit hard enough in this edit without it.

So overall 5/5 across the board, though narrative is a 4/5.

There was a solid action flick in there, and you brought it out like a pair of adamantium claws!

Thanks for the feedback, TinyBreadMouse! It's been a couple years since I have watched this, so I may need to run through and give it a refresh before I officially release, so your feedback helps a lot.
a close-up of Stryker during the end fight that seemed to happen really quickly, almost like it was a blink and you'll miss it kinda scene
Where was the shot of Stryker that you are referring to?
the implication I got was Sabretooth brought him to Stryker, but that would also be Logan's assumption too, yes? But later he's shocked to learn Sabretooth is working for Stryker. That and Logan just has his dog tags back without explanation, and now they say Wolverine, despite it being a name he picked for himself after leaving them behind. I know you don't want Logan volunteering himself to the program, but in my mind it fixes both of these issues, and that scene has great foreshadowing with Stryker swearing on his son's life—a macabre twist that I feel doesn't hit hard enough in this edit without it.
Yes, the implication is that Sabretooth brought him to Stryker, so yes, his shock later does not make much sense. I'll take a look at that.
As for him having his dog tags, I did think about it at the time of the edit, but just kinda left it to the viewers interpretation. Did they have him locked up and they asked him what he'd want? Was he dreaming and said something in his sleep? Or maybe it's just one of those continuity issues that all X-Men movies have? I'd lean more to the latter. Haha.
This was one of the main themes of Codename Wolverine (the old edit that this was based off of), it was a theme I never had a problem with in the original, so maybe when I revisit this it will change.

Even if you don't alter that at all, this is still a really good edit. While watching I kept thinking, wow, this is a solid little action flick. I'll find the timestamp for the Stryker bit in a second

Sorry it took me so long lol.

1:17:50 or so. It seems more normal upon rewatching that scene.

I took a look at the shot you mentioned, it is a bit quick. I might slow it down just a tick.

1:17:50 or so. It seems more normal upon rewatching that scene.
I removed this shot completely. I looked at extending it but just didn't like it. It was a shot of Stryker watching them fight on a screen, but where was the camera? In Weapon XI's eye? That is weird. I removed all of the flashing back and forth of the fight and Stryker watching. Once they leave the inside of the building, there are no more cameras.

When Victor stomps on Logan and we cut to black and fade in on Wolverine being bonded to the Adamantium, I could tell something was removed. For starters, the implication I got was Sabretooth brought him to Stryker, but that would also be Logan's assumption too, yes? But later he's shocked to learn Sabretooth is working for Stryker. That and Logan just has his dog tags back without explanation, and now they say Wolverine, despite it being a name he picked for himself after leaving them behind. I know you don't want Logan volunteering himself to the program, but in my mind it fixes both of these issues, and that scene has great foreshadowing with Stryker swearing on his son's life—a macabre twist that I feel doesn't hit hard enough in this edit without it.
I added this whole sequence back to the movie. I agree with everything you said here. I wasn't fully bought into removing this to begin with, so that was an easy decision.

Back
Top Bottom