• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

WMV to h264 and skipping black frames

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I need to convert video encoded with WMV3 to something playable on a blu-ray player, so h264 encoded MKV looks like the way to go. And there is a problem. I am using RipBot which is a nice tool for re-encoding but for some reason, when I try to re-encode this file, the output file is completely out of sync (A/V). And the reason for this (which I've had some hard time to find out) is because all completely black frames from opening (which appear between opening credits) were skipped during conversion. There are no more black frames, first title fades in, fades out, and immediately second title follows (and there were 1-2 second of black screen in original file between them). I cant use different source, so I must find a way to fix it. Maybe some other software? (Handbrake fails the same way, AutoMKV produces video plagued by constant stuttering no matter how many times i've tried with different settings)

Any ideas/sugestions?

1) on a blu-ray player, mkv is not the way to go, unless just using BD or DVD disc as a data disc for computer.

2) No clue what the right program would be to actually make sense of this wacked video file and convert it to a useful avc/h.264 file. It sounds like it was rendererd with some funky space saving setting regarding repeating black frames that isn't being interpreted properly when you try to transcode it. But if you can manage to figure it out, plop that video and audio into Multiavchd and it can setup a basic Blu-ray build for disc that will playback.

3) there might be some kind of plugin out there to be able to frameserve WMV video using avisynth. That might be your only hope.

How about reinserting the black frames?

I was serious - isnt that possible?

TV's Frink said:
I was serious - isnt that possible?

Probably, but probably a nightmare of a project to re-synch to audio.

It seems as though somewhere in here may be a solution for you. Unless I misunderstand this, directshowsource appears to support wmv. http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/DirectShowSource One challenge with wmv, it appears, is that the video can have a variable framerate, so you might have to research how to address this issue in your script.

Hope it works out, but there is a very important moral to this story. Fuck WMV.

Back
Top Bottom