• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Why So Serious?

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

So after my well received Rises edit I'm considering taking a crack at TDK.

I think TDK is a great movie. I've read I've changelist on a few edits to see if what I'm intending hasn't been done.

What my goals are so far:

- Remove some pacing issues. Remove bad humor. Keep the (imo) good humor. The best edits I found removed comedy lines that imo are terrific 'I did bloody tell you' 'Three buttons is a little 90s' for example.
- Try to make the ending less videogamey if possible. 80% less blue screen 3d animations maybe remove them altogether if possible. This has been done before so it must be doable.
- Improve a few lines if possible. (Where Rachel died instead of Where my family died for example)
- Remove the finger print bullet scene if possible.

This is basically a suggestions box. I've had people come with great ideas for TDKR and would love to hear the things that would be possible in TDK (which is a great film on itself unlike TDKR)

Aside from maybe deep-faking Katie Holmes, it really doesn't need to be fixed, in my opinion...But I have lots of those, and many can be ignored.

Aside from maybe deep-faking Katie Holmes, it really doesn't need to be fixed, in my opinion...But I have lots of those, and many can be ignored.

Oh it will definitely be the least invasive edit I'll ever do lol. The movie is solid as is I 100% agree.

But unlike batman begins I find TDK drags on at some points. It's a bit long.

Awww...Donkey. I somehow knew it was going to come to this...

Haha is that so?

I started working on my most loathed scène which is the attack on joker at the end. Removing the bluescreen shots is Actually pretty straight forward. Hopefully the music still flows Nice if i transition it. Usually it does because editors tend to always edit on musical beats anyway.

Will keep only the blue screen POV shots befóre they transition into 3d animations of the building and the shots of Fox looking at the screens.

I like your ideas, as always. You best plan on doing the first one, as well. It's going to be A Dark Knight. 😁

I like your ideas, as always. You best plan on doing the first one, as well. It's going to be A Dark Knight. 😁

Lol I honestly wouldnt know what to change about the first one. Imo it's a near flawless film (editing-wise)

Scratch that. I would definitely have him mention his daughter when he talks about his wife. Use some 'Taken' dialogue. That's probably all I would do though. I think all the comedy works, too. No bad jokes.

Not sure what to do yet with the whole experiment thing on the boat, but I do like this scene without ANY blue screens apart from the brief POV shot and it being one continuious action scene. Quite the high pace! Should I use this continuous scene and work around it or is it too much?

I think the original cut on the elevator works well to show a bit of whats going on on the boat.

Last edited:

Since I removed the overhead shots I thought I might be able to use brief snippets of it to create Batman's POV very briefly during the action. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Not sure what to do yet with the whole experiment thing on the boat, but I do like this scene without ANY blue screens apart from the brief POV shot and it being one continuious action scene. Quite the high pace! Should I use this continuous scene and work around it or is it too much?

I think the original cut on the elevator works well to show a bit of whats going on on the boat.
I think you should raise the volume of Fox's dialogue to almost the level of a narrator, like the audience is hearing him through an earpiece, and have all of the dialogue and sounds happening in the scene that don't directly involve Batman sound more in the background. As is it feels a little overwhelming (at least for me). Making it more Batman's POV might make it easier to keep track.
I think it's also a good idea to switch the music to a calmer track, or just make it quiet, when it cuts back to Gordon on the phone, so that it feels like a short POV switch to his perspective before the music kicks back in when it switches back.

Since I removed the overhead shots I thought I might be able to use brief snippets of it to create Batman's POV very briefly during the action. Would love to hear your thoughts!
I really don't like this personally. If the shots lasted longer it might be more obvious that it's what Batman is seeing, but as is it feels more like randomly flashing what's on Lucius' screens. Feels very uncomfortable and distracting to me.

I think you should raise the volume of Fox's dialogue to almost the level of a narrator, like the audience is hearing him through an earpiece, and have all of the dialogue and sounds happening in the scene that don't directly involve Batman sound more in the background. As is it feels a little overwhelming (at least for me). Making it more Batman's POV might make it easier to keep track.
I think it's also a good idea to switch the music to a calmer track, or just make it quiet, when it cuts back to Gordon on the phone, so that it feels like a short POV switch to his perspective before the music kicks back in when it switches back.

I really don't like this personally. If the shots lasted longer it might be more obvious that it's what Batman is seeing, but as is it feels more like randomly flashing what's on Lucius' screens. Feels very uncomfortable and distracting to me.
I agree. Only the elevator shot works and that's because it's a slower shot. Oh well, not all ideas can be winners lol.

Messing around with the idea that Joker himself dressed up this guy. I saw some people mentioning it and I think having the dialogue this way sells it pretty well. It;s now just a random poor guy trying to be brave. Or well, that's the intend at least. Would love to hear what people think.

Last edited:
I fixed something that always annoyed me: Rachel not being good at her job. The scene was far too explanatory in the middle of the interrogation. Dumbing down Rachel for a moment just so the audience knows what's going on is not good for the pacing imo so I moved the expositiony dialogue to the start. It makes FAR more sense to know what you're goal is before going into an interrogation lol.

Fixed this scene as much as possible too. This was REALLY poorly edited in the theatrical. After Batman opens his cape (with added parachute sound effects to suggest slowdown) we cut to the taxi driver, so there now is a change for Batman to actually slow down off-screen. Reaaaaally strange choice in the original cut and takes me out of the film every time.

Added some gore sounds to gambols death too.

Last edited:
death.jpg

I always felt it made no sense that Bruce leaves his fingerprints all over the binoculars etc so I cut that. Also there are no snipers in the building anymore, because it's nonsense that the snipers fire 3 shots and somehow the speech proceeds as if nothing happened.

I'll probably not use this picture in the end ( unless people here really dig how brutal it makes joker ) because I thought of different solutions but it's a pretty gruesome picture when you add some bloodstains :p I thought ' why does joker let these people live? ' and then figured I'd give it a go. But tbh I think this begs the question: ' Why is bruce still so calm? ' so proooobably I won't use it.

Last edited:
I agree with all of these changes. I think you should do everything that you can to bring out the brutality and insanity that is Heath Ledger's Joker. The movie wasn't really meant for children and certainly not meant to be pc.

I have watched this movie so many times and thought that it had violent horror undertones. I looked for all of the ways that one could maximize on that in an edit. The movie is a masterpiece already because of Ledger. I know this won't be a popular opinion but I can't change that.

I agree with all of these changes. I think you should do everything that you can to bring out the brutality and insanity that is Heath Ledger's Joker. The movie wasn't really meant for children and certainly not meant to be pc.

I have watched this movie so many times and thought that it had violent horror undertones. I looked for all of the ways that one could maximize on that in an edit. The movie is a masterpiece already because of Ledger. I know this won't be a popular opinion but I can't change that.

Its definitely not for kids. But make no mistake I will aim to keep at least 50% of the humor intact.

That said since you've thought about editing this.movie I'd love to hear further suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom