• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Why has Auto GK

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
decided that my 29.97 fps mpg is considered to be "a hybrid mostly FILM", and then that the "source seems to be pure FILM" and seems to have converted it to 23.796023 fps and changed the size to 720x320 fps when converting it to XVID AVI.

Is this normal? Why does it think that the "speed was 28.62 fps" when both Womble and VLC agreed that the original frame rate was 29.97 fps?

And doesn't the new res mean I'm missing 3 pixels? :?

NTSC with a frame rate of 23.976 frame/s is described in the NTSC-film standard then pulldown to 29.97 for DVD.

Many thanks, AVP, but I know the difference between the two forms of NTSC. My point is why does it read a 29.97 fps source as 23.976 fps, when it isn't, at least according to Womble and VLC?

It's my understanding that an NTSC video source needs to have a pulldown removed to get to 23.976 fps NTSC film, and that there's a difference between a program removing a pulldown and a source not having one in the first place. AUtoGK seems to be suggesting that the source is not 29.976 fps in the first place, which makes no sense to me.

And why does it crop it to 720x320? This is a change in aspect ratio from 2.35:1 to 2.25:1 according to the log, and I don't want to change the aspect ratio.

Captain Khajiit said:
Many thanks, AVP, but I know the difference between the two forms of NTSC. My point is why does it read a 29.97 fps source as 23.976 fps, when it isn't, at least according to Womble and VLC?
here is my guess on the whole thing. Womble and VLC show it as 29.97, because that is what it is playing at, as it would on your DVD player. Its a 23.976 movie that plays at 29.97 because of a pulldown. The pulldown is there, and womble and VLC don't really care to display that information, because ultimately it is playing at 29.97

Captain Khajiit said:
And why does it crop it to 720x320? This is a change in aspect ratio from 2.35:1 to 2.25:1 according to the log, and I don't want to change the aspect ratio.
Well, black bars take up space (filesize space), and for a video you are playing on your computer, you dont need them. Remember while the movie itself may have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, DVDs can only play widescreen that is 1.77:1. So the movie is letterboxed to fit that. AutoGK recognizes that the DVD compliant MPG has constant black bars, so it crops those off. The aspect ratio of the movie is not affected (its still 2.35:1, however is now not letterboxed to be 1.77:1, however some filesize is saved. In other words 720x320 (without the black bars) has a smaller filesize than 720x405 (with the black bars)

That makes sense, I guess. Thanks, Throw. As long as you're not seeing less of the picture I don't mind. :)

I'll just see if I can see the quality difference between one pass at 100% target quality and a double pass at the maximum predefined size.

Back
Top Bottom