• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What's this text?

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I keep seeing this everywhere "??"

What text is that or what do I need to install to see it correctly? It's showing up as two little boxes with letters and numbers inside.....

It shows up as a superscript T and H on my end. Looks like high-end Unicode.

Same here. TH in superscript. I've tried both Firefox and Opera.

So what have you guys got installed that makes it show up as a T and an H? I think I see it correctly at work, but not at home....?

Unicode support. Try either switching the page encoding to UTF-8 or installing a Unicode language pack.

Ghostcut said:
Unicode support. Try either switching the page encoding to UTF-8 or installing a Unicode language pack.

Can you do that in Firefox somewhere? I'm guessing ultimately I need to install this pack. It's odd that I don't have it installed by default though.

In Firefox it's View > Character Encoding > Unicode (UTF-8). If it still doesn't work then you definitely need the language pack. It ain't installed by default in some MS operating systems because they suck.

Ghostcut said:
In Firefox it's View > Character Encoding > Unicode (UTF-8). If it still doesn't work then you definitely need the language pack. It ain't installed by default in some MS operating systems because they suck.

Tried that. Didn't work. Then installed the universal font from Office 2003 and rebooted, still not working. Arse. Have got Win7 installed, will see if it works with that.

EDIT : In Win7, it's showing up. So something isn't installed in my WinXP install.

GC - where do you get this language pack you speak of ?

Control Panel > Date, Time & Regional Options > Regional and Language Options in new view
Control Panel > Regional and Language Options in classic view

Now I can't remember exactly what I did here to turn it on, but I think it was under the Languages tab, checking the Install files... checkboxes. You'll need an XP CD to copy the files.

Did those options. Installed every language pack known to man.

No change in Firefox. In IE, they're showing up as two squares.

I give up. Fucking Windows.

Try going to Advanced, checking every-fucking-thing in the long list of codepages and waiting an age for the files to copy.
Then give up, scream at the screen, and throw every copy of XP out of the window.

Now I am at work on XP, and it shows up as blank boxes in IE and small boxes with numbers in Firefox. (Last time was on Snow Leopard.)

XP is crap at virtually everything. The core OS is pretty stable, but everything else just screams 2002 (and not in a good way). The only reason people claim to like XP is that Vista is even worse.

I hope the combined forces of Win7 and Ubuntu will eradicate that wonky antique as fast as possible.

Back
Top Bottom