• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What is your favorite DVD-ripper?

Fanedit said:
This interests me. I don't want to hijack this thread but could you expand a bit. I'm just getting started and also lack a budget.

Go ahead and Hijack. I'm always interested in low budget solutions.

I Tried DVDshrink and it didn't do anything to help me. I also tried the Vobs and there was some weird glitches, but I think that had to do with my HDD being too slow to keep up with the huge file size. DVDfab seems to be the general consensus. That will be next on my list to try.

I think another part of my problem is that I'm working with DVD not blue ray. Also since I'm doing TV shows mainly, The bitrate is already low from the publishers trying to cram 3-4 episodes on a disk.

I've never worked from VOBs before, but the MPEG-2 compressions can be tricky to work with. I highly recommend converting to a lossless video format (AVI using the Lagarith codec, for example, though I don't know if that's compatible on Macs). I got some pretty big files using that (in the 80 ~90 range) when I was still editing SD and even my old laptop had no issues with them. Once you rip with DVDfab, everything you need to convert to lossless AVI (at least) is all freeware.

EDIT:
Fanedit said:
Thanks. What do you think the limitations are when compared to Pro?

As far as I am aware, the only real limitations are the number of active tracks you can have (five video and maybe ten audio in Studio as opposed to 99 each in Pro) and some effects. I've used Studio and currently use Pro, and I feel that I could go back to Studio with no real problems as far as functionality go.

OK, as I said, I wasn't home earlier, so I couldn't just look at my icons.

I said that I don't use DVD Fab every time for the converting, but in fact, DVD Fab actually performs the ripping. That's the name of the program I couldn't remember beforehand. Then I take the VOB files over to Any Video Converter and put them in a better format.

I'm in the process of ripping right now, but when I clicked on "DVD Copy," I got a message that said, "The 'DVD Copy' option is expired. You are going to use 'HD Decrypter.'" When it finished, it said, "0 days remaining on your free trial. Buy now!"

So while it's free, it often seems like it's begrudgingly free. :D At least that's the way it seems to me.

Remember, I'm still a newbie who hasn't completed an edit yet. I was asked my opinion, and I'm happy to share my experiences, but there are a lot of people here with more experience and know-how than me. Take my comments with a grain of salt. :)

TomH1138 said:
I'm in the process of ripping right now, but when I clicked on "DVD Copy," I got a message that said, "The 'DVD Copy' option is expired. You are going to use 'HD Decrypter.'" When it finished, it said, "0 days remaining on your free trial. Buy now!"

So while it's free, it often seems like it's begrudgingly free. :D At least that's the way it seems to me.

TANSTAAFL :p

I usually like to rip up my DVDs either by hand or powerful scissors.

tumblr_m787a7YyKp1qf1116o1_500.jpg

So the best (free) solution I was able to come up with (ie. the method I am now using), Is to first rip the VOB off of the disc using DVD decrypter and then to convert them to MP4 using handbreake, then to rename them to .mov ext in explorer, and that takes care of the input. Then for output I output to quicktime at 100% quality. Everything looks just how I want it now. :) It might be easier just to buy dvdfab, but since I just installed it, haven't been able to try as it requires a restart and my computer shuts down for no one but me!

I've recently met MakeMKV. We had a date night. She was fun, and put out on the first date. Everything I wanted, really.

^ I've had her too. Good ride.

My current process (thanks to help from Neg):

- MakeMKV - to convert Blu Ray files to MKV.
- XviD4PSP - to convert audio from AC3 to AAC. (I'm still looking for a solution to convert DTS 5.1 to AAC 5.1)
- MKVcleaver - to extract data from MKV file.
- Yamb - to convert data to MP4. - Ready to edit in Vegas Movie Studio.

wow! I sound like I know what I'm doing.

VidCoder is a wonderful, easy tool for mp4 and mkv.

Back
Top Bottom