• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

what is the 'MCU Formula'?

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've heard people talk about this lately and I'm probably instinctively aware of it on some level, but I'd like to talk about what you guys think.
I know that superhero fatigue is a thing lately but I don't know if that is all superheroes or just MCU and maybe due to 'the formula'.
what I do know is, I watched Black Panda for the second time this week and came away feeling fairly disillusioned. This gets me on a personal level as the MCU is something I am very fond of. It feels like something I can rely on to be there. It's comforting. The thing is though, I worry that it's actualy becoming too formulaic so yeah. I had already been thinking about how they tend to do this lazy franchise building, like having characters turn up simply as a cameo, but not actually part of the story. There was Wong in Shang Chi, there was Sersi's boyfriend in Eternals, there was the Illuminati in Doctor Strange, In Black Panda there was Riri.
Watching Black Panda though, it started becoming clearer how Riri was actually making Black Panda worse. She wasn't even a cameo, she was something that detracted from the Black Panther, the star of the movie. I mean, once again, they did something that truly irked me about Shang Chi; cutting back from the hero's main fight, to a battle taking place elsewhere, so we could stay apprised of how the secondary characters were getting along.
I realised that they were doing the exact same thing. So I am thinking this is part of this 'formula' and it is bugging me.

What do you all think about this? Have you noticed other things that make up this 'formula'?

Do you think this is it for the MCU and is it going to last?

Alright, I’ll give my take though I’m not sure I’m the best person for it as I’m not familiar with what you’re describing. First, I’m assuming “Black Panda” is a typo? If not, I’m doubly in the dark. If it is a typo, I still haven’t seen the new Black Panther so can t really comment on that.

Okay, for me the “formula” is one part actual formula and one part overall approach. Let me address the former first as it’s pretty straightforward. To me this is most evident (and legitimate criticism) in the origin story movies. It’s basically the structure of most movies to be honest. Act one: establish reluctant hero; act two, coming to terms with role plus establishing threat/antagonist; act three, giant CGI-dominated set piece battle. And, of course, the tacked on post credits MCU signature establishing that the “real” story is yet to come.

Now for the latter, overall approach view, I think it’s useful to look at some analogies. The first I think is pop music today in general. If you take a random week and analyze the top ten pop songs you will find many similarities across most of them. My hunch is that you’d find the majority—if not all—utilize a I-V-vi-IV chord progression. They will have grid locked beats and be auto-tuned. They will utilize 808 style beats. Etcetera, etcetera. The result is something that sounds new to most people, but also easily digestible and comfortable. Essentially something you know with a new coat of paint. Now this sounds easily reproducible, but if it was everyone would be doing it (and achieving success) similar to how many fail to reproduce the MCU success. Let me be clear, this criticism (if you can call it that) is not based on quality or a suggestion that the people that make or like these products are somehow lesser. I think the frustration stems from less opportunity for things that fall outside of this formula to gain traction.*

Again, these pop songs are expertly crafted and impeccably produced. And many of the artists performing them have real musical talent, not to mention charisma and performing chops. The MCU is the same. I’d argue that if not well-made, well-produced, well-cast, etc., they wouldn’t have come close to the level of success that they have. And it is comforting. I took my kids and my niece and nephew (all kids prices) to see a matinee of Avatar 2 recently and after just popcorn and a drink each (none for me), I was out over $150. That’s an expensive couple of hours. I feel better doing that when I can rely on a brand that will provide a consistently enjoyable experience, whether I’m actively thinking about that or not. To me, that’s the “formula.” But if it were easily replicated, everyone from Star Wars to DC would be doing succeeding at it.

*I actually think this is a bit of a fallacy these days. I haven’t listened to pop music most of my life and I still find myself with too many options for music. I simply can’t consume as much as I’d like.

Last edited:
I think the 'subversive humour' needs to be acknowledged. You know, the type of jokes that will often derail a scene, deflate tension, interrupt an emotionally driven character moment, or simply miss the mark.

The Russo Brothers seem to manage it better than most other directors in the franchise. From my time watching (or listening to) YouTube critiques, I'm convinced that Marvel are unwilling to take many risks with their main cinematic universe. They hit a nice sweet spot with the X-Men and Deadpool, but then again, that was back when Fox was operating solo.

With that said, one must wonder if the Disney higher-ups are micromanaging certain aspects of the MCU to fit their 'family-friendly' standards. 🤔

It's an interesting topic. When I think of watching an MCU film I typically think "Ugh I don't want to watch more of that boring, rehashed trite!"
Then when I'm actually watching it I tend to have a good time. The "formula" isn't something I notice while watching, and even in hindsight I can't place my finger on what exactly makes the formula, yet I can tell that there is a formula nonetheless.
I feel like it's more something I think about when watching non-MCU movies. I watched A Cure Fore Wellness and thought "Oh, this is a Marvel finale," referring to a big cgi fight scene. I watch the Star Wars sequels and think "Oh, these are Marvel jokes." I can't explain exactly what a Marvel joke is, but there's just a difference between the humor in the old Star Wars vs the new (not to say that it's inherently bad).
A second viewing of the first Black Panther was the first time that a joke ruining a serious moment really hit me.

I Don't know what my point is with any of this, hopefully someone else can break it all down and answer your questions.

MCU formula is that template for superhero movies that started to bore me. At this point I dont even care if there will be any more movies in MCU. Endgame was a fitting end, everything after that seems to me like more of the same but worse.

Back
Top Bottom