• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

What is everybody reading?

If you like being sad, go for Dostoyevsky

Funny. Reading that has been on my bucket list, but I've never gotten around to it yet. Gonna have to see if I can get a good copy after I finish Scaramouche.

After reading Fight Club, I've started reading Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson. I'm about a hundred pages in, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I've tried reading other Gibson stuff in the past, and his writing is just really dense and hard to focus on. I'm fairing a bit better than I did four or so years ago, but it's still hard. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping it if I find something better to read.

After reading Fight Club, I've started reading Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson. I'm about a hundred pages in, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I've tried reading other Gibson stuff in the past, and his writing is just really dense and hard to focus on. I'm fairing a bit better than I did four or so years ago, but it's still hard. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping it if I find something better to read.
The only William Gibson I’ve read is Neuromancer. That sort of steampunk sci fi wasn’t really my bag. It was recommended to me as something that fans of PK Dick would enjoy. For me, it was PKD without the compelling ideas.

The only William Gibson I’ve read is Neuromancer. That sort of steampunk sci fi wasn’t really my bag. It was recommended to me as something that fans of PK Dick would enjoy. For me, it was PKD without the compelling ideas.
I really need to read some PKD. I regret giving up on DADoES? a while ago.

I really need to read some PKD. I regret giving up on DADoES? a while ago.
That’s kind of my above point. I like the ideas PKD comes up with much more than his actual narratives or writing. I think that’s why Blade Runner works so well for me.

Recently all of my reading has been Star Trek novels, but I'm taking a break from them to read a novel my wife recommended, The Secret History by Donna Tart. I'm really enjoying her writing style; it reminds me of Hemmingway. I'm about 10% of the way through but I don't know if I actually like the story, though.

Recently all of my reading has been Star Trek novels, but I'm taking a break from them to read a novel my wife recommended, The Secret History by Donna Tart. I'm really enjoying her writing style; it reminds me of Hemmingway. I'm about 10% of the way through but I don't know if I actually like the story, though.
Did you see my post just a few posts above? I’ve just started The Secret History as well. I only started yesterday so I’m only two chapters in.

Just finished 'With a mind to Kill' by Anthony Horowitz, him treading in the footsteps of Fleming. I think he does a good job here. I also enjoyed his first foray into the world of Bond - 'Trigor Mortis' - but was a bit disappointed with his second Bond-outing, 'Forever and a Day'. 'With a mind to kill' kept me on the edge of my seat from the beginning though, and has some beautiful twists with a strong 'From Russia With Love' vibe (most of the story takes place behind the Iron Curtain). I can't imagine anyone who likes Fleming not enjoying the Horowitz novels.

Now reading 'Billy Summers' by master King. Almost impossible to put down. Some thankful similarities with 11-22-1963 (which I adore and read twice already).

I've finally started reading through my collected books again after a long break. Started reading and finished Treasure Planet by Kiki Thorpe. Was a quick read. Currently halfway through Metropolis by Osamu Tezuka.

I've finally started reading through my collected books again after a long break. Started reading and finished Treasure Planet by Kiki Thorpe. Was a quick read. Currently halfway through Metropolis by Osamu Tezuka.
Is treasure planet connected to the Disney movie ?

Just finished Metropolis by Osamu Tezuka (my first ever Manga) and boy, there's some crazy stuff in there. They even had giant rats in the story that were effectively a naked Mickey Mouse, they were definitely taking jabs at Disney there.

Also just started reading Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by James Rollins. I have heard a lot of good things about this book, and so far I've only managed to get through the first few sections but so far the opening is 1000x better than the final product we got of the movie. And that is coming from me who finds Crystal Skull to be fantastic.

Finished Crystal Skull last night. Damn, SO much better than the movie (although I prefer the ship design in the movie).

Started on Back to the Future by George Gipe and so far I'm beyond happy that it's the version of the movie where Eric Stoltz was supposed to play Marty! This will probably be the closest I ever get to seeing that version of the film, in book form.

Just finished The Secret History. Apparently this is part of a whole genre called “dark academia.” 🤷‍♂️ It was okay. You can tell this is a freshman effort. The characters are thinly drawn and the beginning of the story takes too long to get going. And worst of all, for me, was the writing itself which is constantly punctuated by “he said” over and over again with little to no variation. It is clearly trying to be a modern take on Crime and Punishment. And, like that novel, there is nary a likable character in sight. However, unlike this novel, I found Crime and Punishment compelling. That’s not to say this is a bad book; it just doesn’t quite live up to the hype for me.

I need to get back into it. I made it about 1/3 of the way through but was getting bored and haven't felt compelled to continue.

Finished Back to the Future by George Gipe. Honestly better than the movie IMO however the "future clothes" that Doc wears at the end is very different from the movie version, and prefer the movie version of those clothes.

Starting Back to the Future 2 by Craig Shaw Gardner.

Just finished Back to the Future 2 by Craig Shaw Gardner. Will be starting Back to the Future 3 by Craig Shaw Gardner tonight.

Finished Back to the Future 3 by Craig Shaw Gardner. Started reading Street Hawk by Jack Roberts.

Finished Street Hawk by Jack Roberts. Will start Close Encounters of the Third Kind by Steven Spielberg tonight.

Back
Top Bottom