• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What is everybody reading?

i read it a long time ago because a friend recommended it, but I didn’t quite know what to make of it or think of it. Years later it was turned into a movie, which became one of my favourite movies of all time. It fixes a lot of issues that the book has, so maybe you should check it out.
I'll definitely have to check out the movie now, thanks!

Finished Mort today, it was great. Discworld is great.

I'm going to read John Dies At The End next after recieving a copy for my birthday. I've previously listened to the subpar audiobook, I'm excited to revisit it properly.

Finished Mort today, it was great. Discworld is great.

I haven't read it since the 90s but isn't that the one that mentions Klatchian Coffee? A coffee so strong that it doesn't just perk you up, it wakes you up the vast infinite blackness of the void. Loved that concept. The beauty of the 40+ Discworld novels is that each one was better than the last and Mort was only book 4!

I'm going to read John Dies At The End next after recieving a copy for my birthday. I've previously listened to the subpar audiobook, I'm excited to revisit it properly.
Love that book. "This Book is Full of Spiders" is also a very worthy sequel.

I'm re-reading Lord of the Rings for the 3rd/4th? time and my goodness do the three Tom Bombadil, Barrow Wights and Old Forest chapters drag (the altter to a lesser extent). I'm reminded again why just about every adaptation chops those bits out. Although it was interesting to spot all the lines and ideas from those chapters that the LotR films used in other parts of the story. Plus I'd completely forgotten about the scenes with Frodo and company hanging with some Elves in the forest. I had to force myself to get through them but like like the mines of Moria, I've made made it out the other side and am loving every magical and thrilling word of in Bree meeting Strider. I'd also forgotten that Tolkien specifies that Strider initially puts on a Bree-land accent when he meets the Hobbits, something that the brilliant actor Robert Stephens subtly does (with a touch more west-country accent) in the BBC radio series, something I had thought was his idea.

I'm re-reading Lord of the Rings for the 3rd/4th? time and my goodness do the three Tom Bombadil, Barrow Wights and Old Forest chapters drag (the altter to a lesser extent). I'm reminded again why just about every adaptation chops those bits out. Although it was interesting to spot all the lines and ideas from those chapters that the LotR films used in other parts of the story. Plus I'd completely forgotten about the scenes with Frodo and company hanging with some Elves in the forest. I had to force myself to get through them but like like the mines of Moria, I've made made it out the other side and am loving every magical and thrilling word of in Bree meeting Strider.
Think I’ve read it 2 or 3 times, and indeed, it can be a drag here and there. Back in the day salesmen were advised to tell buyers that they had to get through the first 100 pages before it got exciting.

Apart from that, what I remember the most is the way Tolkien effortlessly conjures up the most complex landscapes in the space of one sentence, when other writers would need a whole paragraph to do so.

Last night I read Deathmate Prologue and Deathmate Red, great stuff.
From what I've heard, the publishers claim that you can read the series in any order, while readers say that it doesn't make sense any way you read it. One guy on the Valiant forums claims to have deciphered the reading order, so that's what I'm following. Hopefully even if this doesn't work out, the individual issues will be entertaining enough.

Last night I read Deathmate Prologue and Deathmate Red, great stuff.
From what I've heard, the publishers claim that you can read the series in any order, while readers say that it doesn't make sense any way you read it. One guy on the Valiant forums claims to have deciphered the reading order, so that's what I'm following. Hopefully even if this doesn't work out, the individual issues will be entertaining enough.
Just finished Deathmate and it was FANTASTIC! It's a real shame that the production was troubled, from what I hear it caused Valiant to collapse, put many small comic shops out of buisness, and generally did a lot of damage to the comic industry. If it was finished on time, and released in the right order, then it wouldn't have such a bad reputation and I'm sure people would've loved it.
According to the afformentioned Valiant forums, the "correct" reading order is:
Prologue
Red
Yellow
Blue
Black
Epilogue
And frankly I agree that it wouldn't possibly make sense in any other order.

Just finished ‘The turn of the screw and other ghost stories’ by Henry James, fascinating stuff. Now started with the Mortal Engines prequels (halfway through volume 1) and I find it as interesting and funny as the original quartet. Too bad the movie bombed, there could have been so many more great movies of this series.

I just started rereading Dune. My first exposure to the story was Lynch’s movie. I then read the book at age 20. Having seen Lynch’s movie (in various forms) many more times and the newer half adaptation a couple of times, I’m now rereading the book some 32 years later.

Last edited:
Wauw, for me exactly the same. Only back then I gave it up somewhere in the third or fourth book. Last year I reread them and finished all six volumes, but in my opinion the books become less interesting as they go along… Loved the first two volumes though.

Wauw, for me exactly the same. Only back then I gave it up somewhere in the third or fourth book. Last year I reread them and finished all six volumes, but in my opinion the books become less interesting as they go along… Loved the first two volumes though.
I’m not sure if I ever read any sequels. When I saw the miniseries, it didn’t really ring any bells. I bought the three book box set for this reread so I’ll likely read those this time around.

Similar experience with the books here too. I found my dad's old copy of the first one and loved it. He told me they got worse and worse but i bought the next two in paperback and while I liked Messiah pretty well, I was getting bored by the end of Children of Dune and never went any further.

I never liked Lynch's version, but the 2000 Sci-Fi Channel version was pretty good (but cheap as hell), and the 2003 Children of Dune sequel was even better. Surprisingly, I liked parts 2-3 better than Part 1, which was actually an adaptation of Messiah.

Yup. Messiah is bland, but mercifully short, and Children is weirdly forgettable (at least to me), but I LOVE God Emperor. Maybe I'm weird that way. :)

Remember: The first book is actually two, so if you get half way, feel free to take a break.

I've started re-reading King's Eyes of the Dragon. It was the first King book my parents allowed me to read. I think I was 9 or 10. It's one of King's tamest stories, but re-reading it now, I find myself getting these faint echos of how I felt about it as a kid (disturbed). And the illustrations! They're objectively terrible, but the feelings they evoke...

Love that book. "This Book is Full of Spiders" is also a very worthy sequel.
Forgot to follow this up. TBIFOS was indeed a worthy sequel. The multiple points of view are really needed. I'm currently near the end of the third book, What The Hell Did I Just Read. I swear each book is better than the last, or at least the writing gets better. I kinda wish there were more references to the previous book, but I get wanting the stories to be self contained.

^I didn't realize David Wong had continued the series, but apparently there's even a FOURTH book: "If This Book Exists, You're In The Wrong Universe". Thanks for bringing these to my attention...time to get reading again!

^I didn't realize David Wong had continued the series, but apparently there's even a FOURTH book: "If This Book Exists, You're In The Wrong Universe". Thanks for bringing these to my attention...time to get reading again!
There are indeed four of them, have fun!

Ever since I started my current job in September, I've been reading more than ever. I'd say I've read more books just during my breaks at work, than I have in the past 5 years combined. I'm like legitamately proud of myself. For once I can buy new books and confidently say that I will get around to them.

Back
Top Bottom