• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

what are the high standards?

daedal

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, I'm new here and thrilled to discover this hobby! I've seen two fan edits by now and have ideas for some of my own.
I'm searching this forum for information on submitting a fan edit to make sure I now all there is to know before I start working on one.

more than once I read something about Fanedit.org's high standards. what are they? is there a baseline or guidelines to achieve those standards?
and for a more precise question:

I have a large collection of DVD rips (DVD's that I own of course), will the lower pixel count be meeting the high standards criteria? or should I start rebuying my movies in blu-ray?

If you're going to put in the time to edit something that's available in HD I would definitely use an HD source. Although DVDs were great back in the day, their resolution is abysmally low compared to current standards - you want to at least be using a 720p source if you can, I prefer 1080p for all my edits but I know some people are editing in 4k now too.

#staff
The high standards are focused on video/audio quality, video/audio editing and narrative.

Video/Audio Quality
Video needs to be in the correct fps, free of visual artifacts and have a clear picture that is comparable to the source.
Audio needs to be free of audio artifacts and have a fidelity that is comparable to the source.

Video/Audio Editing
Video editing needs to be smooth and free of awkwardl jump cuts. It is highly recommended that an editor follow the visual editing style of the source media.
Audio editing needs to have smooth transitions to ensure the most seamless edits as possible.

Narrative
Any narrative adjustments must not create continuity issues or narrative conflicts.

#staff
The high standards are focused on video/audio quality, video/audio editing and narrative.

Video/Audio Quality
Video needs to be in the correct fps, free of visual artifacts and have a clear picture that is comparable to the source.
Audio needs to be free of audio artifacts and have a fidelity that is comparable to the source.

Video/Audio Editing
Video editing needs to be smooth and free of awkwardl jump cuts. It is highly recommended that an editor follow the visual editing style of the source media.
Audio editing needs to have smooth transitions to ensure the most seamless edits as possible.

Narrative
Any narrative adjustments must not create continuity issues or narrative conflicts.
very useful info! thank you

If you're going to put in the time to edit something that's available in HD I would definitely use an HD source.
To expand on this answer, it's also because many DVD transfers of films have incorrect colors. Blu-Rays, after the early 2000s, usually have either the original crew members or professional data analysts (people who know how to restore colors back to what they were in theaters) work on them. So as a result, they more closely resemble what the film is "supposed" to look like than DVDs, which are usually just raw scans of a beat up print with no cleanup/restoration.

It's kinda funny, but you see a lot of people on forum sites dedicated to film discussion -- including this one -- express that they actually think Blu-Ray transfers "change and alter" the colors of classic films... when they actually don't. It's just that the DVD (with the incorrect color transfer) was the only version available for so long, that more people remember the altered colors on DVD than the original colors recreated/preserved on a Blu-Ray (see people's reaction to the 4K of "2001" and "Matrix," which while having the correct colors were wrongly viewed as having "altered" them).

Basically, apart from really early 2000s era discs, you should go with Blu-Rays if you want the correct colors.

I have a large collection of DVD rips (DVD's that I own of course), will the lower pixel count be meeting the high standards criteria? or should I start rebuying my movies in blu-ray?
That's personal preference. If you only have access to DVD, that isn't a deal breaker, but some people may pass up on the edit because it isn't HD. Also, there are more steps to prep a DVD source than a Blu Ray source. You can't simply rip and start editing like you can with a Blu Ray. If you have the means, it will look better, sound better and possibly be received better, BUT you can submit DVD quality edits to IFDB.

free of visual artifacts and have a clear picture that is comparable to the source.

What about grindhouse fanedits? :)

You can't simply rip and start editing like you can with a Blu Ray.

Why not? (I mean, is that the fact it's in VOB files that should be converted to something more handy, or something else?).

What about grindhouse fanedits? :)

Obviously the concept involves visual degradation, which sets it apart somewhat. But you still wouldn't expect visual artifacts as a result of digital compression.

Why not? (I mean, is that the fact it's in VOB files that should be converted to something more handy, or something else?).

Sometimes you can just rip and go. The issue is if it is interlaced, in which case getting it into an editable state is a bit more complicated.

In case of PAL DVDs which I was editing back in the day, there was usually no such problem, but I've encountered serious complications when trying to use SD deleted scenes from various Blu-ray releases that were in 29.97 fps.

Anyway, SD edits may be indeed a reason to skip an edit for some people. 1080p, while not obligatory, is preferred.

Last edited:
FPS. DVDs are in 29.97fps (NTSC) and 25fps (PAL). For films, they need to be corrected to 23.976fps.

They need? And why is that?

When doing a DVD edit, I cant see a reason why it should not be done in original fps of the source that editor uses.
I've never changed fps of any DVD edits I've made (my two first released edits - Transformers: ROTF and Rambo Hybrid Cut - were both released as 25 fps PAL DVDs), except when I used various FPS sources so they needed to match one another.

I have two SD projects waiting in line, and since they will be standard DVDs, they will keep their fps at 25 in first one and 29,97 fps in second.

Last edited:
Some classic edits were released at 25fps PAL (all of Boon's, for starters). There was no issue with that, other than the fact that it's pretty much obsolete for HD (25fps HD video exists, but you won't find that on a Blu-ray).

29,97 NTSC was trickier, though, since what was there was frequently 23,976fps material with added pulldown flags to make the DVD play as 29,97 (the standard back then). So to do things right you had to remove those pulldown flags and you'd end up with a 23,976 source. But if instead of doing that you treated it as native 29,97 video, you ended up with crap looking video with a lot of issues.

As far as I remember, I've edited DVD 29,97 fps material without changing anything and it worked fine. I did that in Womble without any re-encoding.
I'm going to try that again soon (for DVD to be final output), so we'll see how that works.

(25fps HD video exists, but you won't find that on a Blu-ray).

Actually, there are Blu-rays with 25 fps here in Europe. Maybe not many, but I have some of them on my shelf - those are european editions of both european TV shows or even theatrical movies. For example french edition of "1492", german edition of "Christopher Columbus: The Discovery" or some polish theatrical movies like "Potop" ("The Deluge") - that one has also 23,976 fps edition but it is heavily re-edited (basically it feels like a fanedit, except it is official) so I am not interested in owning it.

Last edited:
That's personal preference. If you only have access to DVD, that isn't a deal breaker, but some people may pass up on the edit because it isn't HD. Also, there are more steps to prep a DVD source than a Blu Ray source. You can't simply rip and start editing like you can with a Blu Ray. If you have the means, it will look better, sound better and possibly be received better, BUT you can submit DVD quality edits to IFDB.
Less steps to prep a Blu-ray! Interesting. I will have to look at that. Could you give me some pointers to get me started? What drive to buy for instance. I guess MakeMKV will work with BD but I hear you have to flash a special firmware... Not sure how to do this yet. Thank you all for your support🫡

Actually, there are Blu-rays with 25 fps here in Europe. Maybe not many, but I have some of them on my shelf - those are european editions of both european TV shows or even theatrical movies. For example french edition of "1492", german edition of "Christopher Columbus: The Discovery" or some polish theatrical movies like "Potop" ("The Deluge") - that one has also 23,976 fps edition but it is heavily re-edited (basically it feels like a fanedit, except it is official) so I am not interested in owning it.
Makes sense for the TV shows, since they're still produced at 25fps in countries that keep the PAL standard. The theatrical movies, though... I smell something fishy there. Those might be semi-bootlegs (I know of quite a few cases of semi-bootleg Blu-rays being sold in Europe, not sure about their frame rate, though, as I avoid buying them). The only reason someone would make a 25fps HD master of a theatrical film nowadays would be for TV broadcast in PAL countries, and those are not designed for Blu-ray anyway. It has to be either that or an upscale of a PAL SD print, which makes matters worse.

Those are releases I've mentioned:

None of these is an upscale.

Only semi-bootlegs or 100% bootlegs on blu-ray I'm aware of, are spanish ones.

Yep, I was specifically thinking of Spanish cases. But it'd be easy to guess some other countries would do the same thing. Still, the two Columbus movies appear to be early-ish Blu releases (2009 and 2010) so maybe they still were figuring things out. Not sure about the Potop case.

"Potop" is 2015 release. Here in Poland many movies are released that way which doesn't mean they are unofficial releases.
But we're not alone - I've heard that this one:
is 25 fps too.

To sum it up, you can find 25 fps on blu-ray quite easily, but not in US I suppose.

I have also several blu-rays that are 24,0 instead of standard 23,976 (mostly european releases from Studio Canal like Highlander, Cliffhanger or Rambo trilogy). That also makes things complicated when I want to use them in fanedit that mixes various sources.

As far as I remember, I've edited DVD 29,97 fps material without changing anything and it worked fine. I did that in Womble without any re-encoding.
I'm going to try that again soon (for DVD to be final output), so we'll see how that works.
If I remember correctly, Womble is the only software that won't screw up your NTSC SD footage if you leave pulldown flags in, so you're fortunate to have made a good choice there if you don't want to change your workflow for SD content.

Well, I've never edited NTSC DVDs in anything other than womble, so that's probably the answer why I dont see it as problematic.

Back
Top Bottom