• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Valérian and Laureline: Welcome to Alpha 2D + 3D

Cool! Is there anything in particular you wanted help with on the edit at this point? Once I watch it I plan to hopefully have some notes and general feedback. But is there anything you wanted to make note of before I watched it? Is there anything you really want me to focus in on?

I actually like the original. It's weird but I like it. Minority opinion probably haha, oh well!

Last edited:
Cool! Is there anything in particular you wanted help with on the edit at this point? Once I watch it I plan to hopefully have some notes and general feedback. But is there anything you wanted to make note of before I watched it? Is there anything you really want me to focus in on?

I actually like the original. It's weird but I like it. Minority opinion probably haha, oh well!
I’m actually quite happy with the cut now with the exception of the last Bubbles scene - but that would require artificially generated dialogue or something to get it how I’d like it 😅

All feedback is gratefully received - I’ve been asking first-time viewers (a pair of family members who hadn’t seen the original) to tell me if the plot makes sense, if anything confused them, or if there were any jarring transitions.

If you can watch it and pretend you don’t have the prior plot knowledge of previous viewings, that’d be great 😁

I mostly enjoy the original film - I think it’s an amazing visual treat in 3D - but I think the marriage stuff didn’t work at all (as well as the few other bits mentioned in the OP).

Hope you like the edit!

Hey! Excited to see this film getting some more love, I was inactive for the best part of two years so apologies for not replying. I'll send you my version. Looking forward to seeing where you take this. Happy to preview your work print too as I'm very familiar with the source for obvious reasons.

Hey! Excited to see this film getting some more love, I was inactive for the best part of two years so apologies for not replying. I'll send you my version. Looking forward to seeing where you take this. Happy to preview your work print too as I'm very familiar with the source for obvious reasons.
Hi Malthus - even though I’ve not seen your cut, the forum thread was the main impetus in getting me to attempt a fan edit, so thank you very much for the inspiration!

My main aim was to have something similar to your version but in 3D but I’ve ended up doing a 2D cut anyway. I’ll send you links 👍

Woohoo! My edit has been accepted into the Academy 😁

The 2D version of the film is complete, and going forward I’ll be bringing the 3D version to a state of parity - two scenes need altering/cutting and the nebula visible after the title sequence needs removing (for the 2D version I took a screen grab of the first frame of the astroship exospace exit, painted out the red cloud of the exit point, and transitioned the starfield between the two scenes. This will be more difficult in 3D side-by-side as I need to match the stars exactly in each eye or there will be odd looking depth perception on them).

One final alteration after feedback regarding an audio transition: when Clive Owen is left hanging, his curtailed shouting now has more blended background music. The following clip shows the previous version followed by the new one:

The 2D version of the film is complete, and going forward I’ll be bringing the 3D version to a state of parity - two scenes need altering/cutting and the nebula visible after the title sequence needs removing (for the 2D version I took a screen grab of the first frame of the astroship exospace exit, painted out the red cloud of the exit point, and transitioned the starfield between the two scenes. This will be more difficult in 3D side-by-side as I need to match the stars exactly in each eye or there will be odd looking depth perception on them).

I'm curious and happy to see some love for 3D. Even though it simply didn’t work at all for most “3D films”, this film was actually one of the few exceptions :D

I'm curious and happy to see some love for 3D. Even though it simply didn’t work at all for most “3D films”, this film was actually one of the few exceptions :D
I really enjoy a good 3D film - especially the ones made to be seen in 3D, like Dredd (the Slo-mo drug sequences are stunning) - and I’m always vaguely disappointed that home 3D briefly flared up then died out. I’d have loved to replace my 1080p 3DTV with a 4K version.

Thankfully VR headsets are now of a resolution where watching 3D movies on virtual cinema screens is an enjoyable experience. Fingers crossed that the new Apple headset (which allows 3D movies to be streamed via Apple TV+) gives a boost to the rest of the VR media market.

Back to Valerian & Laureline - I’m still working (slowly) on the 3D cut, there are a number of scenes that need changing so they match the 2D edit, hopefully I’ll have finished within the next week or two 👍

Back to Valerian & Laureline - I’m still working (slowly) on the 3D cut, there are a number of scenes that need changing so they match the 2D edit, hopefully I’ll have finished within the next week or two 👍
There's no rush, take your time :cool:

The 3D version of the cut is now finished with one minor difference: in the 2D cut I replayed a particular shot during the trash compactor scene but reversed and zoomed/offset, to try and show Valerian looking for (and missing) Bubbles - this cannot be replicated with side-by-side video as it would end up with horrible stereo vision mismatch - so the shot is still played in reverse but it is not zoomed/offset.

One final change to the 3D version: thanks to the keen eyes/ears of GarStazi an editing error was identified - between the scene where Laureline rescues Valerian from the crashed Skyjet and the Pearl prisoner being found under interrogation, a single frame gap had crept into the cut.

I’ve now shifted the second half of the film forward 1/24th of a second to cure the issue 😅 New version has been outputted and uploaded.

My thanks to GarStazi for taking the time to watch both 2D & 3D versions and for highlighting the problem 👍

One final change to the 3D version: thanks to the keen eyes/ears of GarStazi an editing error was identified - between the scene where Laureline rescues Valerian from the crashed Skyjet and the Pearl prisoner being found under interrogation, a single frame gap had crept into the cut.

Nice work on fixing it so fast! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom