• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Under Pressure : Making "The Abyss" - DVD Conversion to Progressive VFR x265

jack44556677

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm posting to ask if this has a home / is appropriate on this forum / in the IFDB or not.

My first instinct is, "no" - but after working on it for the past month I can't help but look at this as more of a remaster / fanedit / archival project than anything else.

Details on the conversion :

The dvd source has a LOT of different source frame rates which were converted (by various pulldowns) to interlaced dvd (30000/1001 fps) and then cut into the final product. This made converting the interlaced dvd back into its original progressive source framerates an absolute tedious nightmare.

My goal was to retain the highest level of quality possible, fully deinterlace / IVTC while losing nothing, and end up with an x265 progressive vfr mkv.

Because cutting was done AFTER the pulldowns were applied to the source footage, there were many orphaned fields at the beginning and ending of cut segments which I chose to qtgmc into full frames rather than remove. All the 60 fps source (encoded on the dvd as 60i) was also qtgmc'd, and all the rest was cleanly deinterlaced/ivtc'd/weaved.

This was accomplished with a 5000+ line avisynth script which itself generated an avisynth script with a monster splice statement (1940+ segments) to create the final product as well as the mkv timestamps text file.

Partly i did this for the challenge, and partly because this is one of - if not - the best "making of" documentaries ever made. I think in many ways it is better and more entertaining than the movie itself.

Please let me know if you think this sort of thing has a place here or not. I think i've poured more than enough blood, sweat, and tears to justify calling this my "remaster"; though it does not contain any new or edited content. My intention was to archive perfectly losing no content and as little quality as possible.

Last edited:
Sounds great. I noticed the DVD looked spotty in places. I think there was a BTTF doco with the same problem, where they had different interviews from different years being stretched and stuttering differently.

Sounds great. I noticed the DVD looked spotty in places. I think there was a BTTF doco with the same problem, where they had different interviews from different years being stretched and stuttering differently.
Yeah, it is a mess and took a lot more effort and time than I ever could have anticipated as a result. I am not anxious to ever repeat the tedious process, but I'd take a look at the BTTF doc if you can remember the name / have a good source for it.

So how do I proceed now? Should I just try to submit it to the IFDB? According to the faq I have to wait a while before my account can do that, and if these comments count as "posts" I need to make 3 more of them too.

Well i for applaud this effort.

I’m assuming this doco is not on the forthcoming 4K disc ?
A response will take you to TWO to go…

I’m assuming this doco is not on the forthcoming 4K disc ?
I was aware of this sword of damocles as I suffered through the tedious conversion...

w**mart.com/ip/The-Abyss-4K-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-Blu-ray-Digital-Code/5258440991

According to the box images at the link above, it IS on the blu ray - hopefully invalidating all the hard work and suffering I endured. But we shall see. I think it is somewhat unlikely that the master footage for this documentary from 1993 survived - but who knows.

Edit: On further musing, I've realized that even if the master footage survived and was transferred to make the blu-ray it won't invalidate this project. In fact,, shudder, it would be an invitation to do it again (though likely with less difficulty than last time assuming it is not interlaced).

Blu-Ray doesn't support vfr. This means that the frames will necessarily need to be duplicated in some manner in order to be put on the blu-ray (the same issue that the dvd had) to accommodate all the varying source material framerates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom