• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Ultimate best render in Vegas 8?

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, I want to do the first render of my project on Vegas and I'd like to know what are the absolute best render settings to get the highest and most faithful video and audio quality? I used this template from Boon's guide:

NTSC DV 24p Widescreen (720x480; 23,976 fps)
width: 720 height: 480 field order: none (progressive scan) pixel aspect ratio: 1.2121 (NTSC DVD widescreen) frame rate: 23.976 (IVTC film)
full resolution rendering quality: best
motion blue type: gaussian
deinterlace type: none

audio:
resample ad stretch quality: best
low pass filter quality: best

ruler:
...and I also worked with 5.1 Sound, having edited every mono channel for the surround mix. So please, what settings would you recommend for best quality renders? Thanks!

the absolute best is to frameserve to a higher quality rendering engine (HCEnc, CCE, or even TMPGEnc). While the internal rendering engine is pretty good, you will get better results from a multi-pass encode using one of the 3 I mentioned above.

For this you will need to install debugmode frameserver, and one of the encoders.

Thanks for the reply! But I'm not really sure how to accomplish all of this...if it's possible, could I get a quick tutorial?

if you have Vegas installed:)

1) download and install debugmode frameserver. make sure to check for Vegas installation if asked
2) set the vegas properties to the same as your media files (most likely 23.976 NTSC, and whatever audio you have)
3) when rendering, choose debugmode frameserve AVI (or whatever option like that there is)

this will create a signpost AVI file. keep Vegas open, and then open your encoder (CCE or HcENC, etc). Convert the signpost AVI to your DVD settings. Vegas will serve each frame to your encoder. See more details in this thread (the OUT section):

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...eserving-IN-and-OUT-of-Sony-Vegas-(and-others)

I downloaded and installed Debugmode Framserver and I followed the first step of your tutorial ("Render As" with Debugmode to create a signpost AVI), but the rendering stays firmly at 0%...Any ideas?

rendering will show in Vegas as 0% or incomplete until its done. Though it should show you how many frames it has served. What does it show in your encoder?

If you're talking about the progress in the Frameserver status window, Stats, Video and Audio are all at 0% (and I'm trying it out with a copy of my project that's only 5 minutes long instead of 1h45...)

silly question, but did you actually open the signpost file in your encoding software?

Not yet, because the signpost AVI file doesn't get created: when I render it in Vegas, using the default Debugmode template, it gets stuck at 0%...

can you take a screenshot of whats happening in Vegas? also, what OS are you running? I vaguely recall someone having issues with Vista.

debug_frameserver_prob.jpg

First screencap is the default options of the Debugmode template that I choose. 2 is the progress made, which as you can see, is pretty much non-existent! Here are my system properties:
computerproperties.jpg

Does that help?

ah, everything is A-OK. It will say 0% until the video is done encoding from your encoding software. From image #2 you posted, it looks like it is frameserving. Are you sure it did not create a small AVI file somewhere on your HDD (wherever you told vegas to)? You need to open that small AVI file (might just be a few MB) in your encoding software. When you start the encoding process, you will see the statistics change on your image #2 (as to how many frames have been served).

Ok I got it now! Thanks! :dance: I'm trying it out right now, playing with different settings on TMPGEnc. I'll get back to you if something goes wrong but so far, it seems to work fine. Thanks again.

thebutcher said:
Ok I got it now! Thanks! :dance: I'm trying it out right now, playing with different settings on TMPGEnc. I'll get back to you if something goes wrong but so far, it seems to work fine. Thanks again.

If your using the better, but way old 2.56 use the 2 pass encode function

Back
Top Bottom