• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Two favorite Back to the Future films

Which are your two favorite BTTF films?

• Back to the Future

Votes: 28 93.3%
  • Back to the Future, Part II

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Back to the Future, Part III

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
BTTF is untouchable. It's a thrill ride from start to finish.
Part II is an inventive and fun sequel with a bit more of a sci-fi edge.
Part III is superior to Part II, I'd argue. It has a much stronger and more intimate portrait of the main characters. Part II never made anyone cry. It has more of the gimmicks and interesting concepts, but III is where the emotional meat lies in the two-part sequel. My only real complaint is that Marty should have secretly jumped to 1885, with Doc believing he was sending him back to 1985.

I can't find something I remember from years ago. It was a photoshop of the posters with part III Clara standing behind Part II Doc standing behind part I Marty.

Hal9000 said:
I can't find something I remember from years ago. It was a photoshop of the posters with part III Clara standing behind Part II Doc standing behind part I Marty.

I made this in May 2013 (and posted it in my ideas thread) if that's what you mean...?

8991580699_0ab6d290e5_o.jpg

Haha! Yes! That's even better than the one I remembered from somewhere else. Thanks!

Too bad this isn't on the new blu release:

Speaking of which... I've got an observation to make, but it'll probably damn my soul to the eternal underworld. Should I share it? Ah, what the hell: it's kind of adorable how Fox and Lloyd, born two decades apart, seem to be at the same level of near-senility.

(... What's this? A demon porter, here to take my bags to the demonic horses-driving carriage outside? What fine hospitality!!)

TM2YC said:
I made this in May 2013 (and posted it in my ideas thread) if that's what you mean...?

Whoa. You combined those images? That is seriously professional-looking work, dude.

Gaith said:
Speaking of which... I've got an observation to make, but it'll probably damn my soul to the eternal underworld. Should I share it? Ah, what the hell: it's kind of adorable how Fox and Lloyd, born two decades apart, seem to be at the same level of near-senility.

(... What's this? A demon porter, here to take my bags to the demonic horses-driving carriage outside? What fine hospitality!!)

Yeah, that was a douchey comment. Next time, keep asinine comments like this to yourself.

I was impressed how in control Fox was of his motor skills. He still had all the obvious tell-tale signs of Parkinsons, which I have seen people deteriorate from. Senile? no. The disease leaves you in full control of your brain, but little to no control of your body.

Kinda wished I hadn't watched that. Lloyd forgetting his lines and struggling to say the ones he did remember made for uncomfortable viewing :-(. Kimmel should have pre-recorded the bit, instead of making him try to do it live. He struggles to say his dialogue in Sin City 2 but I thought that was maybe the character.

When I finally get alzheimer's, I hope nobody puts me live infront of an audience of millions of laughing people. F**k you Jimmy Kimmel.

TM2YC said:
Kinda wished I hadn't watched that. Lloyd forgetting his lines and struggling to say the ones he did remember made for uncomfortable viewing :-(. Kimmel should have pre-recorded the bit, instead of making him try to do it live. He struggles to say his dialogue in Sin City 2 but I thought that was maybe the character.

When I finally get alzheimer's, I hope nobody puts me live infront of an audience of millions of laughing people. F**k you Jimmy Kimmel.

I don't understand this. Are you inferring that Lloyd has Alzheimer's? I think it may have been suggested that the Emmett Brown character may have had the illness, but to my knowledge Lloyd has never stated that he suffers from Alzheimer's. The man is near 80 years old, to expect the same level of performance that he gave when he was in his 40s is somewhat silly. His performance on Kimmel seemed to be a mixture of the effects of his age, and him trying to channel the spacey-awkwardness of Emmett Brown. It wasn't great, but I thought it was a fine television performance of characters they performed 30 years prior. I don't think people in the audience were laughing at them, I think a lot of people (myself included) genuinely enjoyed the brief reunion. Thank you Kimmel for that moment.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I don't understand this. Are you inferring that Lloyd has Alzheimer's? I think it may have been suggested that the Emmett Brown character may have had the illness, but to my knowledge Lloyd has never stated that he suffers from Alzheimer's. The man is near 80 years old, to expect the same level of performance that he gave when he was in his 40s is somewhat silly. His performance on Kimmel seemed to be a mixture of the effects of his age, and him trying to channel the spacey-awkwardness of Emmett Brown. It wasn't great, but I thought it was a fine television performance of characters they performed 30 years prior. I don't think people in the audience were laughing at them, I think a lot of people (myself included) genuinely enjoyed the brief reunion. Thank you Kimmel for that moment.

^this, I genuinely enjoyed the video, the only line that Lloyd got caught up on was asking if a smartphone could do some crazy crap that is hard to pronounce all in one line and Kimmel stepped in to help him. You have to remember these guys are/were tv and film actors, not stage actors. Usually they get several takes to get hard lines like that right. I just think Fox and Lloyd are great sports, I mean the fact that they are willing and excited to reprise their roles for fun is awesome. I think it's also wonderful to see Fox having so much control over his Parkinson's. I love those guys.

ThrowgnCpr said:
Are you inferring that Lloyd has Alzheimer's?

Not at all. I was saying I'm going to get Alzheimer's and when my faculties do start slipping, I'll appreciate the dignity of a pre-record when reprising my most famous character on inter-national television :-D.

That segment had me crying with joy. And Huey Lewis with the loudspeaker was icing on the cake (he didn't get the pop he deserved though). Judging by how Michael used to be with the disease he looks amazing. Great segment, had me genuinely laughing.
IMO I don't think Mr. Lloyd was struggling to deliver his lines, I assume that it was the result of the combination of his age and the Doc Brown character, just like ThrowgnCpr said.

My tasteless joke aside, I also found it heartwarming, though I wish they hadn't cut away from Huey Lewis performing to the lame (non-)joke about Doc catching a time-traveling Uber... because that makes sense with the rest of the sketch how?

And Marty identifying Fox as "Teen Wolf" might have been the funniest bit. :) I laughed at a few of the jabs at our real 2015, but Kimmel could have mentioned the end of the Cold War (and general threat of a massive nuclear holocaust), the surge of the global gay rights movement and the implementation of universal heath care as things we have gotten right... Everything Sucksism humor is lame, topical gags about the Cubs actually doing well this season aside.

addiesin said:
I just think Fox and Lloyd are great sports, I mean the fact that they are willing and excited to reprise their roles for fun is awesome.

Personally i think this one sentence sums it up perfectly....... No need to delve much deeper.:)

I absolutely loved it. After having just watched BTTF2 with the kids that was the perfect coda in my opinion. It was fun and whimsical and made me feel both young and old(or just my regular age).

In the Jimmy Kimmel bit, I especially loved the standing ovation for MJ and Lloyd. For a movie made 30 years ago, it must be gratifying to know that one's work is still so beloved by audiences everywhere.

Getting back to the poll:

BTTF I stands in a league of its own. As good as the sequels are, I don't think that either of them is worth comparing with the first. It's on a level with E.T., The Wizard of Oz, Toy Story, etc.

BTTF II is incredibly inventive like the first film, taking us through tons of time travel tropes in a wonderfully breathless pace. In a somewhat pre-digital age, the blending of the scenes where the same actor is playing more than one role -- that remains a special-effects masterpiece to this day. The only problem with it is that it doesn't really function as a standalone movie. It barely has a standalone beginning; the last third of the movie assumes that you're very familiar with the first one (which, to be fair, most people are); and it has a huge cliffhanger rather than a satisfying ending. As such, it lacks a little bit in the "human warmth" department. Mind you, this is my one problem with this film, which I otherwise love.

BTTF III brings back in fans who were lost and confused and who found themselves no longer caring about BTTF II. It has the emotional heart that was missing in II. Despite picking up from a cliffhanger, it's a fairly straightforward story with a satisfying beginning, middle and end.

Also, it surprises me that this isn't pointed out more often, but the character arcs of Marty and Doc reach their ultimate conclusion here. Throughout the other two movies, Doc represents reason while Marty represents emotion. In the third film, their positions reverse. The great moment where Marty sees his own tombstone and says, "Great Scott!" and Doc says, "I know. It's heavy!" is not only a very funny line, but it's also indicative of just how much effect these characters have had on each other. By the end of the trilogy, both characters have learned everything they can from each other, and have balanced the other one out. I think that reason, as much as anything, is why there haven't been more movies. The characters' arc is already complete.

If there's a downfall to III, it's that the jokes are finally starting to become too obvious and repetitive -- i.e., the whole "Mom, is that you? I had a terrible dream" bit. Also, the amount of relatives that these characters have which are spitting images of each other begins to reach ridiculous heights. Think of it this way: In the first movie, Marty meets Lorraine's parents, who are played by believable and funny actors specifically hired for those roles. If the first movie had been shot in the same way as the other two, then Lorraine's mom would have been played by Lea Thompson in a funny wig, and Lorraine's dad would have been played by Michael J. Fox in a bald cap, taking us out of the moment.

(Having said all that, I think that if there hadn't been contract issues with Crispin Glover for the sequels, he would have made a great Seamus McFly.)

Again, these are small problems in my estimation. All of these movies are in my top 20 films of all time. But I think that's the difference between the films. II is incredibly clever but a little lacking in heart. III has lots of heart but isn't nearly as clever. In my estimation, I remains the best because it's the perfect balance between the two approaches.

Gaith said:
My tasteless joke aside, I also found it heartwarming, though I wish they hadn't cut away from Huey Lewis performing to the lame (non-)joke about Doc catching a time-traveling Uber... because that makes sense with the rest of the sketch how?

And Marty identifying Fox as "Teen Wolf" might have been the funniest bit. :) I laughed at a few of the jabs at our real 2015, but Kimmel could have mentioned the end of the Cold War (and general threat of a massive nuclear holocaust), the surge of the global gay rights movement and the implementation of universal heath care as things we have gotten right... Everything Sucksism humor is lame, topical gags about the Cubs actually doing well this season aside.

Yup. A real missed opportunity to push a political agenda.

And when did the threat of nuclear holocaust go away?

Back
Top Bottom