• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

tutorial: Frameserving IN and OUT of Sony Vegas (and others)

elbarto1 said:
Heres a question, I cut a scene and made a nice transition but when the next scene begins theres a slight video stutter and since its my first day, I dont know if its actually there or if its just vegas/my PC being wonky.

any thoughts?

is it in the preview window or in the final render? the real-time preview can be choppy sometimes, especially on a slower PC. try to render out the video and see if its there.

its in the preview window.

is there a way to render a short clip just to spot check the scene in question, or is it all or nothing?

yes, (at least in the full Vegas, I assume its the same on yours). On the time bar at the top you should be able to click and drag. a yellow line with blue bookends will appear for the area you want to render out. Then when you select render as, make sure you check "selection"

If you cant find it, I'll take a screen shot next time I can.

Thanks again.
so, uh.. should I just continue to ask my vegas/etc questions in this thread or is there a more appropriate place?
:)

:) Please keep this topic specific to frameserving in & out of Vegas. If you have other Vegas questions, put them HERE

Ok, I am confused about the specific steps here (mainly w/ the GUI steps)

1) Click File -> Render As... choose debugmode frameserver (avi) Just choose whatever default option when the window pops up. Give the file a name. This is another signpost .avi to open in whatever converting program

Anyway, I followed step 1 and it started converting (or so I thought) I left the PC on overnight and nothing (that I can tell) happened. I assume this is because I waited thinking step 1 was going to complete and I didnt start step 2.

2) Open signpost .avi in TMPGEnc (or CCE or whatever). You have to make sure that you tell it what the aspect ratio is. TMPGEnc calls everything square pixel fullscreen when you open a frameserved .avi. Hence, if your video from Vegas was widescreen make sure you specify this.

So I opened TMPEnc but dont know (step by step) what to select here.
I cant see any signpost avi so I assume I havent created it or I did it wrong.

So, Can you dumb it down for me again? :smile:

Thanks

when you choose the file name for the debugmode avi it will create a "fake" avi (where ever you save this. When you hit OK, a progress bar will go by (this should only take a few moments). It is now frameserving. Do NOT close this window. Open TMPGEnc and choose this "fake" avi. It will go through the normal process of loading and whatnot. Make sure the settings are correct for Aspect ratio, frate rate etc. Sometimes the wrong info can come up. Then just go about your normal converting process (create a file name, export settings, etc). All the while, Vegas and the debugmode window are open.

awesome, I got it.

However, when I prevew the encode the aspect ratio is stretched.

I have both the clip file and the encode set to 16:9. If I change the clip to 4:3 (or 1:1) and leave the encode at 16:9 the preview window gives me a letterbox effect. what settings do I use to have animorphic?

*edit*

also, can I get your opinion on progressive or interlaced (I chose progressive) as well as audio bitrate (default was 224)
and output a single file or seperate (I chose seperate)

I am running this through because I want to watch a 'finished dvd version' but expect to get a stretched image which I can resize on my HDTV but would like to figure out how to do it right for a proper release.

thanks.

if your project is set to widescreen in Vegas, choose 16:9 for the output in TMPGEnc. Choose progressive. for audio bitrate, i generally choose 224, and output the audio and video as separate files.

*in my best Bill Lumbergh voice*

yeah, how do you set your project to widescreen in Vegas?

its always the small stuff that i miss...

File -> project properties. (or something to that effect). just a note. you may have to manually fix each clip (right click on clip, pan/crop, then right click on image and match output aspect) if it doesnt automatically fit it to the widescreen. Since you didnt start with a widescreen project

that doesnt effect the actual edit though right?
its just a minor pain in the ass, not a major start over issue i hope.

*edit*

Whew *metaphorically wipes brow*
That seems to have done the trick. :!:

one more question - whats the difference between Display 16:9 and Pixel 40:33 (NTSC 16:9) in the 'source settings' of TMPGEnc? and which should I choose since they both look the same?

Hi guys.
I have my edit in sony vegas ready too be put as a .avi or onto a dvd.
Now i have tried running frameserv on a test clip of 1 minute and it says that it has 5 hours left.
can anyone help me out?
thanks

i am using cce
when i go to the .avi and select frameserv i get that popup box and click okay on then from there nothing happens, the timer just keeps going up and up and thats for the 2 minute clip.

I am unfamiliar w/ CCE but in TMPGEnc you follow these steps:

in Vegas select Project, Render As.

a Render As window will pop up, Name your file and select Save As 'Debugmode FrameServer (.avi)'

a Frameserver Setup window will appear. select the defaults by clicking Next.

a Signpost .avi file will be created in the directory you specified.

-leave vegas and frameserver up and running during entire process-

Now, run CCE and open the signpost .avi you just created. CCE should import the file from Vegas quickly.

Select all the approprite settings in CCE and begin rendering!

Okay I am Very new at this stuff, I am working on a project called Halloween:Legacy of Laurie Strode, I have figured out how to work vegas and everything, no problems there, but the problem I am having is with the sharpness in the picture after I render it, I tried to do the above steps, after the first set of steps I got very confused, any help here? I use Vegas 7, and I got the VirtulDub Framesever, but this stuff is very confusing.

could you be more specific as to when in the steps you have the problem?
I'll try and help you to the best of my ability since ThrowgnCpr (the real answer man) is MIA.

elbarto1 said:
could you be more specific as to when in the steps you have the problem?
I'll try and help you to the best of my ability since ThrowgnCpr (the real answer man) is MIA.

yes, more details please. its hard to help when I'm not sure what exactly is wrong.

ThrowgnCpr said:
elbarto1 said:
FRAMESERVE IN - SETUP

Once you have your virtualdub and VFAPI folders somewhere in your program files folder, here is what you do:

1) navigate to the virtualdub folder and run the auxsetup.exe. click on INSTALL HANDLER

2) navigate to the VFAPI folder and double click the vifpset.bat

3) In notepad, open and change ReadAvs.reg to this path "Avisynth"="C:\\Program Files\\VFAPI\\ReadAVS.dll" (the path should be whatever folder you have. hence if you put it in another sub folder, specify that. there should be double slashes between each directory as indicated above).

4) Double click on ReadAvs.reg and allow the information to be added to the registry

You should be good for AVI files now. If you want to bring MPG video straight into VFAPI, you need this extra step (do it anyway)

5) navigate to the VFAPI folder and double click the m2vconf.exe (just accept the defaults if you are unsure about this stuff) and click OK

everything should work fine now.

FRAMESERVE IN - RUNNING THE PROGRAMS

So once you have these installed, here is what you do.

1) open your AVI in VirtualDub (you can apply any filters here if you want). Click File -> Start Frameserver -> save as a .vdr file

2) execute VFAPIConvEN.exe (This runs the program, make a shortcut on your desktop or in your start menu) open .vdr file in VFAPI. choose to export video and audio. (see notes below if audio is greyed out and you can export video only). It will ask you to save as an .avi file. This just creates a signpost AVI file that is compatible with Vegas. click CONVERT on the VFAPI interface. it will take a couple seconds to convert. Once its ready, there will be a bunch of question marks beside the filename

3) you can now open this signpost .avi file in Vegas.

I mentioned above that VFAPI sometimes will not recognize the audio. If this is a case, you have to extract the audio from the AVI using whatever program and load that directly into Vegas.

FRAMESERVE OUT - SETUP

You will need DebugMode Frameserver. The website is HERE

download link: http://www.debugmode.com/bin/download.php?fssetup.zip

execute the program, and install it for all the software you use. Definitely check the box for Sony Vegas, but if you have any of the other programs (Premiere, Ulead, etc) check those too.

FRAMESERVE OUT - RUNNING THE PROGRAM

OK. so you have hopefully successfully frameserved your videos into vegas, done all of your editing magic, and now you are ready to output your video. We use this frameserver so we can take advantage of the great encoding programs like CCE or TMPGEnc. If you dont have any of these, then you can just render the video through Vegas, and skip all this. BUT if you do have any of these programs, take advantage of them and use the frameserver.

In Sony Vegas...

1) Click File -> Render As... choose debugmode frameserver (avi) Just choose whatever default option when the window pops up. Give the file a name. This is another signpost .avi to open in whatever converting program

2) Open signpost .avi in TMPGEnc (or CCE or whatever). You have to make sure that you tell it what the aspect ratio is. TMPGEnc calls everything square pixel fullscreen when you open a frameserved .avi. Hence, if your video from Vegas was widescreen make sure you specify this.

3) you can now choose whatever options and convert it

I followed the FRAMESERVER IN Step, But now I am lost.

I am trying to make a fanedit with good quality picture, but everytime I go to save it ends up blurry, I just need to figure out what I can do to make it sharp and fit on a dvd

Back
Top Bottom