• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Trying to export from Vegas with a correct aspect ratio

CasmirRadon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I'm working on a fan-edit of Mission Impossible III, and have finished a rough draft that I wanted to screen for some friends. I'm working with Lagarith AVI's in Vegas Pro 9. Now, I'm not a complete stranger to video editing, but I'm getting all screwed up with my aspect ratio. MI3 is 1.66:1 AR, but Vegas just wants me to select whether it is 16:9 or 2.21:1.

So I tried rendering at 16:9 since that was closest, just to see what happened, and now my video is window-boxed (black bars on all four sides).

Am I screwed? Please, someone tell me there is a way to get a good video out of all this editing I've done. I'm really excited about this edit, and I'm really looking forward to polishing it enough to submit here for review.

there are a few ways to achieve what you want.
if you are working w/ lagarith avi then the aspect ratio of the file may be squished to almost a 4:3 AR

you can adjust the AR of the video file in vegas under: file/properties/pixel aspect ratio

also when you render you can once again set what AR will be rendered by selecting: file/render as a window will pop up, under save as type select: video for windows avi. then under 'template' you should select Lagarith avi then click the "custom" box and a new window will appear. select the "video" tab and you can adjust the pixel aspect ratio if needed.

once rendered I run my lagarith AVI through TMPGEnc to convert back to MPEG for DVD authoring and here you can adjust the ratio once again if needed to get back to "normal"

Back
Top Bottom