• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Trouble rendering

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm having some slight trouble rendering with Vegas. I've never had any troubles before, but with this Karate Kid edit I'm having issues.

I've actually had issues during the entire editing process with Vegas crashing a lot and running slow, juttery video, and red thumbnails on the timeline. Now that editing is complete I'm trying to render and Vegas keeps crashing after a short while. I've been trying to render in smaller chunks so it doesn't have a huge file to work on, but even when that doesn't crash I'm typically missing a frame or two from what I started with.

I've tried running the file through Nero to make an alternative file that it may handle better but Nero doesn't react to it correctly either. I've tried several different sized files and all of them react the same.

Anyone have any possible solutions/explanations?

Could this have something to do with the Cinavia protection that is on the BD?

I dunno, but I was under the impression that was just on the audio. The audio I can render just fine.

I'm able to render this now with a single pass at 29.97 fps. If I do 2 passes it fails going into the 2nd pass. If I do 23.97 fps it fails around 22%.

The source is 23.97 fps so I'm not sure what the issue is. At 29.97 fps it has at time sort of a flicker effect going on that I don't like, and it adds a few phantom frames.

how are you rendering it? to DVD ready mpg files using the Vegas rendering engine? If so, you might try just saving as a lossless AVI, and encoding later, or frameserving.

I've tried .m2v and .mp4. I'll try an uncompressed .avi and see how that works. How do I get the .avi not to be excessively massive though? It's at 4% and already at 30 GB. I don't have nearly enough space at that rate.

install the lagarith codec and use that. It's a lossless codec and it will be significantly smaller than the uncompressed.

That too froze at 22%. Perhaps I should try rendering it without any of the added text (New Title, and subtitles)? The avi still looks like it'll be 100+ GB.

weird. i'm not sure that will help, but i guess you could try.

Are you rendering just the video or video and audio together? If it is the latter, then perhaps you could back up your project, delete all the audio from the timeline and just export the video. That might rule out Cinavia as a complicating factor.

It sounds like you are editing an m2ts file. Perhaps Vegas is just struggling with this one...

I'm rendering video separately, and tried it with the audio deleted many times. I've tried using several different mt2s files (some are smaller size for compression and seem more stable) but they have the same issue, though one of them is the only one I've been able to render at 29.97 fps. I would be ok with the 29.97 fps, but it is a lot less smooth than some work I've done in the past that went from 24 fps to 29.97.

I tried making a file with Nero using the movie and at 29.97 and it's a lot smoother than the one Vegas output...problem is it's not edited.

If Vegas has output your project at 29.97 fps hard telecined, rather than 23.976 with a pulldown then that would explain why the video is less smooth. Nero might just do this better than Vegas. I would exhaust every other possibility before rendering at (true) 29.97 if the source is 24 (23.976) fps, but if that is all you can do, you might try performing an inverse telecine in Avisynth. It definitely sounds like there is a problem somewhere though.

Well the 29.97 file I created with Nero is smooth, and I replaced the m2ts file I was using with that (maintaining my edits) and I just had a few spots I needed to adjust audio or had a few frames off. Hopefully, it will render at 29.97 smooth since it's using a 29.97 source now.

Kevinicus said:
Well the 29.97 file I created with Nero is smooth

It won't look as smooth as 23.976 with a 2:3 pulldown, especially on a TV. If you really have made a hard telecined video with which to work, I suggest you perform an inverse telecine before you encode, or you'll be wasting space and bitrate encoding unnecessary frames.

Back
Top Bottom