• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Trouble in Vegas - Pan/Crop Aspect Ratio Issue

damn, I keep running into new issues.
Boons method worked and improved the scenes quality but now I am having trouble with the aspect ratio again.
the method lewis gave me isnt working this time and either the top bar is off or the bottom is off depending on the settings.
How do I set the bars in Vdub?

that plugin sounds helpful but I have no idea how to use it. can you explain the settings?

well.... actually the easy way to do that... is to go back to the first clip ... or another clip... and use the "match source aspect" to lock in the aspect ratio you want... and then give that a name, at the top of that "pan/crop" window... and hit the little "save" button... and you can save that setting... then open the "pan/crop" window on this new clip.. and simply select the saved setting to apply to it... and it will apply the same aspect ratio to this new clip.

forgive my ignorance, I always need these things explained step by step for a 5 year old.
I dont even know where to find the stuff you were referring to... :?

here you go, my friend... simply open up another clip with the correct aspect ratio in the film... and do this....
url]

and once you've saved it... open up the new clip you're working with... and select your saved setting from the dropdown menu where you just typed the save name on the previous clip...

to use the smart resize plugin all you have to do is set the new size of the video (width and height). I usually go for double the original size. Then I use "msu deblocking" (setting high quality) and "msu smart sharpen" (setting: small overall). Both filters are not always needed, but they also do not do much damage.
For the black bars: I still think it is the best to put in new black bars after the vegas rendering with virtualdub (using the null transform --> cropping filter and then resize, keeping the size and adding black bars to full height of 480).
As for the AR in vegas it really depends what your source is. If it is a stretched 4:3 image that came from a 16:9 image, all you have to do is set in "event pan/crop" "keep aspect ratio" to "no" and leave the setting for "stretch to fill frame" as "yes".

lewis886 said:
here you go, my friend... simply open up another clip with the correct aspect ratio in the film... and do this....
url]

and once you've saved it... open up the new clip you're working with... and select your saved setting from the dropdown menu where you just typed the save name on the previous clip...

oh, so you are not talking about Virtual Dub... That was part of my confusion :razz:

anyway, I tried what you said and the bars still dont match. they are just a hair off. Right now the top bar is a match but the bottom bar needs to be higher up.

I always seem to find the most oddball problems...?

boon23 said:
to use the smart resize plugin all you have to do is set the new size of the video (width and height). I usually go for double the original size. Then I use "msu deblocking" (setting high quality) and "msu smart sharpen" (setting: small overall). Both filters are not always needed, but they also do not do much damage.
For the black bars: I still think it is the best to put in new black bars after the vegas rendering with virtualdub (using the null transform --> cropping filter and then resize, keeping the size and adding black bars to full height of 480).
As for the AR in vegas it really depends what your source is. If it is a stretched 4:3 image that came from a 16:9 image, all you have to do is set in "event pan/crop" "keep aspect ratio" to "no" and leave the setting for "stretch to fill frame" as "yes".

wow, that paragraph made my head spin :) so I still have to manually crop the video? and I double the size so that when I crop it, the scene will still retain a higher resolution then before when I was just zooming in?

not really odd. Original black bars are often not the same size on top and bottom.

elbarto1 said:
wow, that paragraph made my head spin :) so I still have to manually crop the video? and I double the size so that when I crop it, the scene will still retain a higher resolution then before when I was just zooming in?
yes, you have still to manually crop it. This way virtualdub will do the zooming. And yes, the resolution will this way be much higher avoiding artifact errors.

ok, one more question - where do I find "msu deblocking" and "msu smart sharpen"? are they plugins I need to download? or am I just looking in the wrong place.

Thanks

in that pan/crop window in vegas... you can also grab the entire frame and move it up or down... perhaps that might help.

lewis886 said:
in that pan/crop window in vegas... you can also grab the entire frame and move it up or down... perhaps that might help.

tried that also, thats where 1 or the other black bars is misaligned. no matter what the closest I can get is one matches the other is off. I cant seem to fix it and its really pissing me off.

lol sorry.. i tried.... am really beginning to think i didn't help you one little bit haha
but hey... you know how to do all that other stuff IN CASE you actually do need it someday :lol: ;)

the part that gets me is, it worked earlier but not now (?)
could it be due to me not cropping it properly in V-Dub?
so Its either crappy quality w/ proper ratio or nicer quality w/ slightly off aspect ratio... I am about ready to give up and just hope no-one notices.

edit - I am throwing in the towel on this one, I just restored the original scene because in all honesty it doesnt make much of a difference one way or another and this film just isnt worth this amout of frustration.

I really appricate all the help from Lewis, Boon and AvP on this matter. Bottom line, I'd rather compromise "my vision" for higher quality than sacrifice it for my personal preferences.

Back
Top Bottom