• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Tron Legacy (2010)

www.mania.com posted a pretty good review of the movie today....

The ongoing battle between Ten-Year-Old Me and Thirty-Eight-Year-Old Me finds another pitched battleground in TRON: Legacy. I’m pleased to announce that Ten-Year-Old Me has won this round, meaning that Legacy is officially the coolest film in the history of everything, and each of you should go see it eighty gazillion times.

Oh, Thirty-Eight-Year-Old Me has a case to make for those interested in snuffing out all light and joy this holiday season. He originally pointed out that Legacy follows the same shopworn narrative arc as the first TRON, with a clever outsider sucked into a strange world inside the computer. Said outsider travels through a land of sentient programs and artificial vistas created by binary codes, battling in a series of gladiatorial games before escaping and joining a resistance movement to overthrow the computer world’s evil overlord. His name is Sam Flynn (Garret Hedlund), son of Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) from the original film. Flynn the elder disappeared into the datastream some time ago, and as Flynn the younger discovers, papa has been awfully busy in the interim.

Thirty-Eight-Year-Old Me conceded that the father-son dynamic lends Legacy a slightly new wrinkle, as the two Flynns team up to fight the evil program CLU (also Bridges) and its vision of neo-fascist perfection. However, Thirty-Eight-Year-Old Me contended that the story remains unduly flimsy, with simplistic tropes filling in for genuine drama and an undue emphasis on surface impressions. He also pointed out that Hedlund is rather bland, and that his sharing the stage with Bridges makes it abundantly clear which of the two we’d rather follow around. Perhaps most importantly, he maintained that the film doesn’t have the first idea what to do with its title character (Bruce Boxleitner), who, like the first TRON, acts more as an afterthought than a major player. The more time went on, the more the oversight bugged him.

At that point, Ten-Year-Old Me decked Thirty-Eight-Year-Old Me with an office chair, threw sand in his eyes, and drop-kicked him in the spinal column while screaming “INFIDEL!!!” at the top of his lungs. The debate then reverted to a more impromptu format until Thirty-Eight-Year-Old Me crawled whimpering into a storm drain, promising to be good.

Ten-Year-Old Me’s point? The universe onscreen just takes the breath away. Director Joseph Kosinski and his team have built upon the basic concepts of the original TRON to create a universe unparalleled in its depth and wonder. The famous lightcycles which served as the first film’s signature have become infinitely more elegant, gliding across multi-level playing fields in graceful arcs rather than harsh angles. Yet they remain no less exciting for their imagery, and the sudden crashes and “derezzing” remain just as white knuckle as they did the first time around.

So too does the rest of TRON: Legacy invoke the past while reaching for the future, from the iconic disc duels to those giant floating stompers that periodically menace the hapless inhabitants below. The concept designs feel sleek and intoxicating, aided by music from the celebrated duo Daft Punk (the soundtrack… oh my God the soundtrack!) Even the use of 3D carries a special quality, not only for the way it allows us to revel in the depths of this universe, but in the way Kosinski sets our own mundane world apart with it (“real world” shots are all in 2D).

TRON: Legacy does little to explain the whys and wherefores of its universe, but you can sense its innate rhythm and flow, aiding by terrific performances from Bridges and Michael Sheen (providing a unique riff on Ziggy Stardust). Bridges’ CLU also reveals a lot more personality than the faceless Master Control of the first film, and the slightly off-putting nature of the actor’s computer-enhanced youth actually enhances the character’s artificial creepiness.

That all is just too much ammo in Ten-Year-Old Me’s corner to deny. The “A” grade at the top of this review reflects not perfection--far from it--but the way TRON: Legacy reminds us of the wonders this medium can bring. To watch it and be receptive to its vision is to understand how movies can show us things we’ve never seen before. It transports us in the same way Star Wars and The Wizard of Oz do. It makes us believe so strongly in its landscape that any questions about dodgy plot holes or thin characterizations simply die on our lips. The flaws are there, if you choose to look for them, but why on Earth would you want to? TRON: Legacy speaks to us on a more primal level: the only level where films like this really count. Leave Thirty-Eight-Year-Old Me at home for this one. He’s just too much of a killjoy.

There are flourishes of brilliance, particularly in score, costumes and set design. However, this brilliance is often buried beneath messy, disjointed action sequences and a story that fails to make any sense at all.

A film that awes and bores in frustratingly equal measure. Visually and musically, it's a triumph. Dramatically, it needs some re-wiring.

Hm... hm...still looking forward to tron especially considering that nothing in 2011 peaks my interest

Not that bad of a review really....

It's a leave your brain at the door and enjoy the ride popcorn flick.

Which sounds totally awesome to me!:)

Went and saw it tonight. Really mostly enjoyed it. Nothing too taxing, but enjoyable. 8 out of 10. Digi-Bridges is very hit and miss but everything else looked amazing, and I kind of got used to Clu looking 'off'. Oh, and some nice winks to the original film, too.:)

Bugger :( have to wait til next week to see this bad boy.

not until february in France...:faint:

Saw it this afternoon in my local IMAX. A dazzling, beautifully-made film with a spectacular soundtrack. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to some more Daft Punk now.

Eh, it was alright. Lots of interesting elements that don't really go anywhere, and the action finale is less than a fifth as interesting as the opening arena battle. Wilde is charming, but... meh.

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

Ideas on what to change in a fan edit of Tron Legacy

I felt the movie was slow in certain places so i would think of cutting some of the real world stuff from the beginning like the corporate encom attack. Perhaps just have the movie start in 1989 with the disappearance of Flinn and then show Sam riding his motor cycle and getting a visit from Bruce boxleitner telling him to go check out the arcade. The second thing i would think of cutting would be the story about the computer aliens or whatever they are. Leave it out, cut all references and we just have a girl computer program helping the Flinns out and eventually making it to the real world in the end.

I might also cut some of the over the top air guitar and dance moves of Zeus during the fighting.

What do you guys think?

Are those enough changes? Would they be helpful or would it hurt the film?

Not sure about cutting the stuff at Encom because the cameo by a specific actor plays the son of David Warner's character, Sark or "The Master Control Program". Henceforth, setting up a possible sequel where he will play the main villian! But I do agree with you and a buddy of mine that it was a little slow in certain parts. Visually striking, but lacking in a few other areas! :)

Just got back from finally seeing it, looks like they're definitely setting up for a sequel (which is no bad thing) overall I really enjoyed it, the lightcycle grid sequence was a highlight. Story was a bit slow but not enough for me to remotely lose interest, even got a tiny bit teary at the end.

Green Hornet trailer was great.

Just saw it and loved it. This is the kind of movie that makes sense in 3-D, and I love that they only used 2-D for the real world. Can't wait for the Blu.

I wish Clu were planning on taking over the Internet, maybe as a prelude to taking over the world, rather than going straight for the world. I'll buy Quorra's matter escaping 'cause she's an "other", but there's no reason why Clu's army should be able to cross into reality.

I was utterly befuddled by Flynn's near-total nonchalance at losing his disk, when the earlier contemplation of his doing so got him all worked up, but no way to fix that. :p

It wasn't a great movie, but there weren't really any extraneous scenes, and cutting the Encom intro would be losing a good deal of flavor from an already kinda-bland (though admittedly likable) flick.

nOmArch said:
Just got back from finally seeing it, looks like they're definitely setting up for a sequel (which is no bad thing) overall I really enjoyed it, the lightcycle grid sequence was a highlight. Story was a bit slow but not enough for me to remotely lose interest, even got a tiny bit teary at the end.

I concur, it's way better than the first Tron movie. The beauty is not only in the cinematography, but is also in the simplicity of the story. Wonderful feast for the eye. Daft Punk score was much better than I thought it would be.

Its sad that the soundtrack seems to be getting better reviews than the film

Indeed. The soundtrack was my favorite part as well.

That said, I enjoyed it a lot more than I did the first. Don't get me wrong, the first has some merits flying out the backside, but I found it to be, for the most part, incredibly boring (which is why I shouldn't start watching something after midnight, but I digress). The opening arena battle/light cycle chase was probably my favorite part, thought the entire film was very well done, visually and acting wise (oh, and Olivia Wilde? :eek:).

If someone were to fanedit this, I would suggest using the first Comic-Con teaser (light cycle chase ending with Clu killing someone with Kevin Flynn watching) and then going into the opening monologue about the Grid and whathaveyou.

Back
Top Bottom