• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

TRANSFORMERS: MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE (DVD-9 now available)

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FanEdit Information
Type of Fanedit: True Fanedit
Intention With This Edit: To develop a better cut of "Transformers" which would add a few select scenes or plot elements from "TF2: Revenge of the Fallen" into the story of the first film.
Original Titles: Transformers, Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen
New Title: Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye
Original Runtime: TF = 133 minutes (2 hours, 13 minutes); TF2 = 149 minutes (2 hours, 29 minutes)
New Runtime: 106 minutes (1 hours, 46 minutes)
Time Cut: TF = approximately 34 minutes; TF2 = approximately 142 minutes (2 hours, 22 minutes)
Time Added: approximately 7 minutes taken from TF2
Software Used: Sony Vegas 7 (video editing), Adobe Photoshop CS2 (image editing), Sony Sound Forge 8 (audio editing), Sony DVD Architect 4.5 (DVD authoring), AutoGK (xvid-version encoding)

Release Information
XVID-encoded AVI
- Size: 1.4GB
- Resolution: 720x304
- Aspect Ratio: 2.37:1, 16x9 widescreen
- Audio format: 5.1 Dolby Surround
- Language: English

DVD-9 Release (V2)
DVD Format: NTSC - DVD9-DL
Region: 0 (region free)
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1, 16x9 widescreen
Audio format: 5.1 Dolby Digital
Language: English
Subtitles: none
DVD Extras: Custom Motion Menus
DVD Extras: "About the Edit" page
DVD Extras: JasonN Fanedit Trailers

Major Edits/Changes
MAJOR EDIT: Sam's first introduction in the film is now getting into his father's car to go to buy his own car
MAJOR EDIT: "Qatar Military Attack" sequence is now moved to after Sam gets Bubblebee from the dealership
CUT/EDIT: Cut out the "location subtitles" (a minor issue, but I really hate these - it's like filmmakers have no faith in the audience's intellegence)
CUT: Removed Captain Lennox's "wife/baby" subplot
MAJOR EDIT: A lot of editing to the "Lake Park" scenes to tone down "high school drama" elements and remove the "dumb jock" character
MAJOR CUT/EDIT: Removed as much of the terrible "sex, drugs, and toilet humor" that was previously present in the film
ADDITION: Added Stan Bush's "Dare" to the car background music of Sam/Mikella's first ride in Bumblebee
CUT/EDIT: Cut much of the "Bumblebee = Hurbie the Love Bug" scenes, including his stalling out at the cliff edge
MAJOR CUT: Completely cut out the "Girl Analyst/Black Hacker" subplot
MAJOR ADDITIONS: Added several of the Soundwave scenes from "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" throughout the fanedit, especially alongside the "Frenzy Hacking" and "Decepticons Mobilizing" scenes
EDIT: Altered Soundwave's voice through a vocoder to make it sound closer to his original G1 "vocoder" voice
MAJOR EDIT: Reorganized Sam's "History Class" segment to occur after Soundwave/Frenzy hack into the Pentagon and Air Force One
ADDITION: Added Ravage's attack on the military complex for the alien metal "shard"
CUT: Removed all scenes of Sam being interogation in the police station
CUT/EDIT: Numerious cuts to the soldiers battle with Scorponac in the desert
MAJOR EDIT: Removed the "Kill Bill" theme music from when Bubblebee upgrades himself
CUT/EDIT: Many cuts and trims to the scenes of Sam searches for the glasses at his home and Sector 7 introduction
CUT/EDIT: Tone down the '"over the top" antics of the Agent Simmons character
CUT: Removed the "Soldiers' Mutiny of Sector 7" sequence
EDIT: Pitch Starscream's voice higher to closer match his original G1 voice
MAJOR CUTS/EDITS: Numerous cuts, trims, alterations, and even scene rearrangements to the final "City Battle" sequences
MAJOR CUT: Completely removed the original ending of "Transformers" (Sector 7 disbands, Captain arrives home to wife and baby, and Sam/Mikella make-out on top of Bubblebee)
MAJOR ADDITION/EDIT: Used the first 2/3 of the "Shanghai Battle" sequence from "TF2: Revenge of the Fallen" for the fanedit's finale.
ADDITION: The first End Credits song is Black Lab's "'Transformers' Theme"; second End Credits song is Stan Bush's "You've Got the Touch"

Release Info: AVI Version (XVID-encoded)
RS

Release Info: DVD-9 Version (V2)
RS

great news, thanks man!

edit:
where can i find it on fanedit.info?

the newest is the halloween edit - or do we have to wait till the admins "unlock it"?

Sunarep said:
great news, thanks man!

edit:
where can i find it on fanedit.info?

the newest is the halloween edit - or do we have to wait till the admins "unlock it"?
Yeah, it hasn't been added yet - check my latest post in my RS thread.

erm maybe that's a bit stupid, but i don't know where i can find this Rapidshare thread :(

Sunarep said:
erm maybe that's a bit stupid, but i don't know where i can find this Rapidshare thread :(
EDIT: Look thoroughly. :smile:

Uhhh...first rule about Fight Club is....

hey everyone, i know I'm a total noob, but from the main site where this edit is shown as available i get to fanedit info and there is only UA's edit :(

like all releases without cover art it is not listed on the front page of fanedit.info.
look in true fanedits section T-F.

wuhu great, sorry to whine so much, but I am so looking forward to this edit so i want it asap :D

Wow, this sounds like the edit I wanted to see.
I recently watched Reaves "respaked" and while I liked it, I felt much more sillyness needed to be removed before I could enjoy this film. Many of your cuts mirror my thoughts and I'll definitely be checking this out when the DVD drops.

How long before a DVD version is posted on Rapidshare? I can't wait to see what you did with your edit in comparison to UA's.

jamiemark said:
How long before a DVD version is posted on Rapidshare? I can't wait to see what you did with your edit in comparison to UA's.
Hard to say - I'm going to re-render the 5.1 mix for the DVD version (just to smooth out some of the audio transitions that could've been better in the AVI version). That, coupled with the fact that it ususally takes me a full day to upload 1GB to Rapidshare, means.... as soon as I get it done. :roll:

EDIT: Plus, I'm thinking of doing a extra short video on TF2: RotF currently titled "Michael Bay Thinks We're All Idiots". :smile:

JasonN said:
That, coupled with the fact that it ususally takes me a full day to upload 1GB to Rapidshare, means.... as soon as I get it done. :roll:

I'd be happy to help you out there.

JasonN said:
EDIT: Plus, I'm thinking of doing a extra short video on TF2: RotF currently titled "Michael Bay Thinks We're All Idiots". :smile:

Nice!

Hmm... looks like everyone is waiting for the DVD version to be released before they start reviewing this one.

I've seen it! And, since it's already approved, I can talk solely about content!

First off, I've seen about three Transformers edits, two of which start the film with Sam. That's not good, in my opinion. I don't see the point of starting off a mindless action film such as this with a character beat. It can work, as in the case of Die Hard, but, since Sam's personal conflicts are not exciting like Mr. McClane, then you start the movie off with a BANG! As much of a non-fan I am of Transformers, the structure was largely right as it was in the theatrical, which was action, then Sam, more action, then Sam, and so forth. If you can argue for switching, then by all means, convince me, but, in a film like this where momentum is needed right out of the gate, I think it is very unwise to start on Sam.

Second, the addition of the Revenge of the Fallen footage doesn't add anything. Literally. There's a sliver of "some mysterious shard" in the film, yet there is now no payoff for this footage. You could omit this and I think the film would play better, considering you have what I believe is the most drastic edit of Transformers so far. Additionally, I question the addition of the epilogue, as it feels like it's the beginning of another movie (which it is), and I can understand it if it was truncated. As it stands, it feels too long. This is the end of the movie, it feels like you're establishing another set of rules that are inconsequential for the end of the film, as you want to see Optimus Prime drop out of the plane and transform to go fight a robot.
Otherwise, thinking about Transformers not as the first part of a franchise, but as a film, I would just work on the original resolution.

Additionally, why are you messing with the structure of the theatrical cut by moving Sam's show and tell? It introduces Sam in a somewhat entertaining manner and makes sense considering he's working to get the car.

Other than all of those comments, I thought it was quite well done. Those are just glaring issues for me as a viewer and I feel they need to be fixed in order for a better edit.

eldiablosuizo said:
I've seen it! And, since it's already approved, I can talk solely about content!

Other than all of those comments which I hope don't make you cry yourself to sleep tonight, I thought it was quite well done. Those are just glaring issues for me as a viewer and I feel they need to be fixed in order for a better edit.
I wish you would have concentrated with your comment on the content. JasonN spent a lot of time thinking and creating this fanedit and personal things like "which I hope don't make you cry yourself to sleep tonight" are really turning this entire comment of yours into a touchy and rather offensive thing. IMO this does not belong and should be avoided, because it makes you sound pompous.

eldiablosuizo said:
Other than all of those comments which I hope don't make you cry yourself to sleep tonight...
Trust me... I won't. :|

eldiablosuizo said:
First off, I've seen about three Transformers edits, two of which start the film with Sam. That's not good, in my opinion.
Why, just because you think this movie needs to only be a "mindless action film"?

eldiablosuizo said:
Additionally, I question the addition of the epilogue, as it feels like it's the beginning of another movie (which it is), and I can understand it if it was truncated. As it stands, it feels too long. This is the end of the movie, it feels like you're establishing another set of rules that are inconsequential for the end of the film, as you want to see Optimus Prime drop out of the plane and transform to go fight a robot.
Ok, what "rules" are you talking about? That I set up a possible sequel story that may (or may not) happen at the end of the film?
Guess what, a lot of movies have done that (Batman Begins, Terminator, The Matrix, District 9, etc.) and it did not diminish the quality of any of them.

eldiablosuizo said:
Otherwise, thinking about Transformers not as the first part of a franchise, but as a film, I would just work on the original resolution.
You mean showing the Captain (who we don't really know...) meeting his wife and baby (whom we don't care about...), Sam making out with Mikella on Bumblebee (use your robot guardian like your parents couch...), Optimus Prime giving a random speech that sets up a sequel (just like my epilogue...), and ending on a terrible song by Linkin Park (which makes my ears bleed...)?

eldiablosuizo said:
Additionally, why are you messing with the structure of the theatrical cut by moving Sam's show and tell? It introduces Sam in a somewhat entertaining manner and makes sense considering he's working to get the car.
1. Because I can :p
2. It was not entertaining in the theatrical cut... at all
3. The scene now gives additional information on why Frenzy/Soundwave are interested in Captain Witwicky and hints at what his relationship is to the alien robots
4. It provides a buffer scene between Soundwave telling Frenzy to pursue Witwicky and him sending Ravage to get the alien shard from the military base
5. Moving that scene to occur later gives a better impression of Mikella to the audience, who is now interested in Sam after meeting him during her drive home: in the original cut, she seemed to be fully aware of Sam in the history class, only to later on when they were driving she didn't even know his name or that they took classes together... which made her look like a shallow bitch

eldiablosuizo said:

First off, I've seen about three Transformers edits, two of which start the film with Sam. That's not good, in my opinion. I don't see the point of starting off a mindless action film such as this with a character beat. It can work, as in the case of Die Hard, but, since Sam's personal conflicts are not exciting like Mr. McClane, then you start the movie off with a BANG! As much of a non-fan I am of Transformers, the structure was largely right as it was in the theatrical, which was action, then Sam, more action, then Sam, and so forth. If you can argue for switching, then by all means, convince me, but, in a film like this where momentum is needed right out of the gate, I think it is very unwise to start on Sam.

Second, the addition of the Revenge of the Fallen footage doesn't add anything. Literally. There's a sliver of "some mysterious shard" in the film, yet there is now no payoff for this footage. You could omit this and I think the film would play better, considering you have what I believe is the most drastic edit of Transformers so far. Additionally, I question the addition of the epilogue, as it feels like it's the beginning of another movie (which it is), and I can understand it if it was truncated. As it stands, it feels too long. This is the end of the movie, it feels like you're establishing another set of rules that are inconsequential for the end of the film, as you want to see Optimus Prime drop out of the plane and transform to go fight a robot.

Other than all of those comments which I hope don't make you cry yourself to sleep tonight, I thought it was quite well done. Those are just glaring issues for me as a viewer and I feel they need to be fixed in order for a better edit.

I actually agree with most of what you have said. And I don't think you were trying to be insulting with the crying comment, but that you hoped you weren't coming across as too harsh as to hurt anyone's feelings.

I agree on opening with Sam because it is not an attention grabber, and a good rule of storytelling is to grab people's attention right away. While Sam buying BB is obviously important, it is not really a scene that grabs the viewer's attention, but is more of the beginnings of the development of the story that hopefully the audience is interested in after the opening.

I thought the idea of inserting Soundwave into this movie was very interesting, and can work if you don't really take ROTF into consideration, and considering JasonN's feelings on ROTF, I don't think he was really worried about that. The problem I have though is the Ravage attack on the base to retrieve the shard. It serves the story here no purpose. There is no resolution to this, it's just a random scene that doesn't make any sense as part of the whole. Never is there any other mention of the shard or it's purpose, where it came from, etc.

As for the school scene, when I first saw the cut list and saw this was gone from the beginning I wasn't crazy about it but thought it could be ok. When I read further that it was placed back in the film I was a bit confused about that. I could understand cutting it, but not moving it. After watching it, I still don't care for the change myself, but I do agree with JasonN on his point #5 about Mikaela. However, I'm not sure it's necessary since Mikeala's interest is evident by her following Sam after he falls off his bike. There are other ways to edit her idiocy of not knowing who Sam was out of the film.

As for the epilogue from ROTF...it's sort of a mixed bag for me. I get where JasonN was trying to go, but it does have a very different feel to it from the rest of the movie, and feels at least a little bit out of place. Also the audio wasn't as smooth during this part as the rest of the movie (I know I had my fair share of trouble getting rid of Prime's VO during this scene). I think my biggest problem with this part though is the very end. It just didn't feel like a very good cutoff point for me, and the music jumping in was a little jarring.

ChldsPlay said:
I agree on opening with Sam because it is not an attention grabber, and a good rule of storytelling is to grab people's attention right away. While Sam buying BB is obviously important, it is not really a scene that grabs the viewer's attention, but is more of the beginnings of the development of the story that hopefully the audience is interested in after the opening.
The argument works both ways, of course. If you leave the Sam scene where it is normally, you have a 'dead spot' amongst other things that are potentially more interesting.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea of starting every film big the way they seem to these days. But as with all things, it depends on the film. 'A good rule of storytelling' is doing what is best for the specific situation rather than adhering to an arbitrary set of rules. ;)

Uncanny Antman said:
ChldsPlay said:
The argument works both ways, of course. If you leave the Sam scene where it is normally, you have a 'dead spot' amongst other things that are potentially more interesting.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea of starting every film big the way they seem to these days. But as with all things, it depends on the film. 'A good rule of storytelling' is doing what is best for the specific situation rather than adhering to an arbitrary set of rules. ;)

I agree that you don't have to start "big" but you do need to start "interesting." And I'm not trying to say that this part of the movie is completely uninteresting, but is more of a scene that was designed to begin building on preexisting interest rather than to create interest. Of the starting points for Sam I actually think the school scene is better as far as developing interest early on in the film simply because it alludes to something that will be an important element of the story.

I also think starting with Sam comes off as a little weak because of Prime's voice over at the beginning. His close of, "But we were already too late," is a setup for something to happen.

Back
Top Bottom