• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Total Recall (2011)

Frantic Canadian said:
How can one man make so much crap and still be allowed to work in Hollywood?

Because for some reason beyond my ability to comprehend, people go to see his craptacular movies. I also hold James Cameron personally responsible. For lack of a competent Action Movie filmmaker, hacks like Bay have had to suffice.

I'm just glad James finally got bored with his submarines.

L8wrtr said:
Frantic Canadian said:
I also hold James Cameron personally responsible. For lack of a competent Action Movie filmmaker, hacks like Bay have had to suffice.

I'm just glad James finally got bored with his submarines.

Yeah but now he's banking on a movie, plus however many sequels it'll get, that is probably only selling because of the cgi and the 3D.

L8wrtr said:
I also hold James Cameron personally responsible. For lack of a competent Action Movie filmmaker, hacks like Bay have had to suffice.

I'm going to have to argue that Cameron is very competent and is probably the greatest living action director around. Say what you will about Titanic's or Avatar's story the action is phenomenal. No other director compares. People like Bay and Nolan have to resort to cheap trickery like extreme close-ups and shaky cameras. Even though you can't really tell what's happening it must be action because of the frenetic camera work. Cameron actually achieves the same edge but by pulling the cameras back and letting shots linger. Cameron's action is far superior to anyone else out there.

(I still really like Titanic and Avatar.)

Nolan and extreme close-ups and shaky cameras????? where????

(I still really hate Titanic and love Avatar)

voodl said:
Nolan and extreme close-ups and shaky cameras????? where????

Batman Begins. The Dark Knight. Any of the action sequences, especially involving fist fights, he uses this technique.

frankly I cant recall any action sequence where he uses this technique, except that one where batman uses sonars in dark knight (it is shaky).

thunderclap said:
Cameron actually achieves the same edge but by pulling the cameras back and letting shots linger. Cameron's action is far superior to anyone else out there.

(I still really like Titanic and Avatar.)

This for me is really the foundation of the problem (besides Bay's inane storylines). For me the classic example of this goes back to Raiders of the Lost Ark. Spielberg is at his finest in this film in terms of action; anchor the camera and let the actors and stuntmen do their jobs. The action in Raiders is still some of the best ever put to film. Other notable films of this technique for me include Die Hard and the first Bourne movie.

Unfortunately Bourne was given to Greengrass who's offenses in the department of the shakey-cam to create frenetic energy is perhaps even more offensive than Bay's. The first Bourne has great action, and the 2nd two look like they had great scenes, but the camera was just all over the freaking place, too tight on the action, cuts to fast, and camera too unstable to know what the hell was going on. This of course then infected the 2nd Daniel Craig Bond movie (among its many problems).

All in all, maybe I'm just old, but let me see what the hell is going on in the scene. Sack up and choreograph some real action sequences and film the damn things.

*puts away soap box*

(and I still like Titanic and Avatar too)

I'll take Bay action over Cameron action almost 100% of the time. And I'd take the worst Bay movie (Transformers 2007 IMO) over Cameron's treetarded alien smurf movie he just released.

I can go for a remake of Total Recall if it's done right.

I'm still praying that Aronofsky doesn't get to do Robocop (I can't think of another director that would cause me to lose as little sleep if they were to retire). Pi is the worst movie in history IMO, literally physically painful.

As I often do when someone says, "Worst movie ever", I'll just comment that you haven't seen enough movies. ;)

Well, I think for someone to make a worse movie, they'd have to make it their goal to do so. I don't know how many thousands of movies I've seen, but none of them compare to Pi.

my "worst movie ever" is "Unspeakable" w/ Dennis Hopper, I had to turn it off.
I rather liked Pi, although I agree that it is a difficult watch.

Back
Top Bottom