• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Top/Favourite Soundtracks

Oh I forgot to mention Prince's Batman soundtrack. That was siiiiick! Bat-dance and Partyman FTW!

1. Star Wars (John Williams)
2. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Howard Shore)
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark (John Williams)
4. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (John Williams)
5. The Empire Strikes Back (John Williams)

Pretty much anything else by John Williams, also anything by Ennio Morricone and Bernard Hermann. Hans Zimmer, Michael Giacchino, Lalo Schiffrin, and Philip Glass are all usually perfect too.

Top 5..

1) Conan The Barbarian - Basil Polederious
2) Star Trek The Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith
3) The Fog - John Carpenter
4) Ben-Hur - Miklos Rozsa
5) Planet of the Apes - Jerry Goldsmith

1. Amadeus - Wolgang Amadeus Mozart
2. Star Wars - John Williams
3. Goldfinger - John Barry
4. American Graffiti - Various 50s
5. Cowboy Bebop - Yoko Kanno
6. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Ennio Morricone
7. Paper Moon - Various 20s & 30s
8. Psycho - Bernard Herrmann
9. Crossroads - Ry Cooder, Steve Vai, and Sonny Terry
10. The Searchers - Max Steiner and The Sons of the Pioneers

note, the actual music in the film Crossroads, not the album release.

One soundtrack to look forward to will be Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight. Ennio Morricone is to score the film, his first Western in quite some time.....:)

Bumping this thread to see if anyone else wants to chime in with some favorites, or update their list?

I'll add that I love almost everything Clint Mansell does, especially
-Requiem for a Dream
-The Fountain
-Black Swan
and -High Rise

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross also make amazing scores, though not always what you'd want to listen to on its own.  Favorites include
-The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
-The Social Network
-The Vietnam War
and -Before The Flood

I love the soundtrack to the 2003 Daredevil. It's such a product of its time, and it's so bad, but I love it. I want to buy it some day.

Oooh, good find. I wish (more) films were released with a clear center channel! Then we'd make more fanedits with complete score replacements. That would justify soundtracks to have their own section within FE.

Which soundtracks do I like best? Well, that depends on: my mood, its enjoyment as a stand-alone album, its ability to enhance the movie.

Soundtrack albums that I happily play all the way through:
John Williams - Star Wars IV, V, VI; Indiana Jones 1, 2
Maurice Jarre - Lawrence of Arabia
Alan Silvestri - Back to the Future 1, 3; Captain America 1
John Barry - Thunderball, You Only Live Twice
Daft Punk - Tron Legacy (deserved to win the Oscar!)
James Horner - The Rocketeer
Ennio Morricone - Once Upon a Time in the West
Mark Mothersbaugh - Thor 3 (my first impression was lukewarm, but it's really grown on me!)
Michael Giacchino - Spider-Man Homecoming
Stu Phillips - Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (yeah, I'm biased)

I omit Amadeus. That's in a category of its own: the music wasn't written to accompany the film, the film was made to accompany the music.

Here's a much longer list of main themes that get stuck in my head. Some of them are part of great overall scores, some are the cherries on otherwise bland cakes.
Monty Python - Life of Brian
Bruce Broughton - Silverado
Maurice Jarre - Dead Poet Society, The Professionals, Witness, The Man Who Would be King, Red Sun, Jesus of Nazareth, Gorillas in the Mist, Moon over Parador, School Ties, Doctor Zhivago
Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek V Final Frontier, The Shadow
Alan Silvestri - Avengers
Vangelis - 1492 Conquest of Paradise, Blade Runner
Ennio Morricone - The Mission
Max Steiner - Gone With the Wind
David Arnold - Independence Day
John Barry - Out of Africa, Dances with Wolves
Elmer Bernstein - The Magnificent Seven, Stripes
Bill Conti - Rocky
Klaus Doldinger - Neverending Story
Harold Faltermeyer - Beverly Hills Cop
Michael Giacchino - Star Trek (2009)
Bernard Herrmann - Psycho
James Horner - Apollo 13, Braveheart, Cocoon
Mark Knopfler - The Princess Bride
Henry Mancini - Charade, Pink Panther
John Morris - Blazing Saddles
David Newman - Galaxy Quest
Michael Nyman - The Piano
Ray Parker Jr - Ghostbusters
Basil Poledouris - Quigley Down Under
Nina Rota - The Godfather
Miklos Rozsa - Ben Hur
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Last Emperor (together with David Byrne), Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
Mikis Theodorakis - Zorba the Greek
Toto - Dune
John Williams - Jaws, Superman
Hans Zimmer - Backdraft

I usually think of lyrical songs as soundtracks and instrumental background music as score, though I think soundtrack can be used to mean either.

Anyways, my favorite score is probably Vangelis' Blade Runner score I've had plenty of days where I'd just listen to it on repeat all day. Blade Runner Blues is my favorite track.

Of course I also love John Williams' score to Star Wars 1-6, though I always keep Star Wars separate in any kind of favorites list.

• David Arnold: Stargate
  • Charles Bernstein: A Nightmare on Elm Street
  • Tangerine Dream: Legend
  • John Williams: Star Wars; The Empire Strikes Back;
    Return of the Jedi

Those are the ones just off the top of my head.

jrWHAG42 said:
I love the soundtrack to the 2003 Daredevil. It's such a product of its time, and it's so bad, but I love it. I want to buy it some day.

Great, now I've got "Learn the Hard Way" stuck in my head.  ;)  Yeah, I was a sucker for buying a lot of those rock soundtracks like that and Spider-Man 2, Mission Impossible 2, Transformers, etc.  

Even though you picked a "soundtrack" which uses source music, I think that's actually probably a better match to the thread title.  I know most everyone has listed "scores" here, so I followed suit, but I think that's a bit more of a specific thing than just "soundtrack".  I know the definition of a soundtrack is kind of mushy, though to differentiate it meaningfully, I usually think of it as pre-recorded music which is synced to the film.  Versus the score, which is an original composition for that movie.  Thoughts on this here: https://soundtrack.academy/score-vs-soundtrack/

Just if anyone wanted to add on here and starting listing some soundtracks that were not scores that they love...?  (Though I know this is a classy crowd so we can keep the score appreciation coming, too.)

Less classy is okay, you say?

In that case, is there anyone reading this who does not know these tunes? All TV themes, all have crossed over into popular culture:
:D Jerrold Immel - Dallas
:heart: Mike Post & Pete Carpenter - The A-Team
:cool: Ron Grainer - Doctor Who
:dodgy: Jam Hammer - Miami Vice
:) Norman Gimbel & Charles Fox - Happy Days

lapis molari said:
Less classy is okay, you say?

In that case, is there anyone reading this who does not know these tunes? All TV themes, all have crossed over into popular culture:
:D Jerrold Immel - Dallas
:heart: Mike Post & Pete Carpenter - The A-Team
:cool: Ron Grainer - Doctor Who
:dodgy: Jam Hammer - Miami Vice
:) Norman Gimbel & Charles Fox - Happy Days

Ha ha, wow, that is a change up from John Williams and company.  :)  I actually never went back and watched Dallas, so I don't know that theme.  But holy crap if we're going the TV theme route, I literally can't even type these without the songs running through my head...
Knight Rider, The Transformers, G.I. Joe, (Jan Hammer's) Miami Vice, of course Magnum P.I., and this banger:

Back
Top Bottom