• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Tom Petty

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure really where online I could ask, but I had a Tom Petty question about a certain version of a song. Is anyone on here sort of knowledgeable with his stuff?

He was born a rebel. That's all you need to know.

On a Sunday morning.

I was curious about this: The video for his song "you got lucky" opens up with some cool, desolate sounding synth music. I always loved hearing it (going back to when I first saw the video in the 80's). Does anyone know however if any actual version (perhaps a single) of this song was released with that synth or was it just exclusive to the video? I can probably now do it myself, but I am also mainly asking because I would love to have that synth opening with no additonal sound effects (like them wlaking). I figured if it had a studio release of some kind the synth would be there but not the sound effects

Not as far as I know. The version on the album and the Anthology collection doesn't have the beginning synth part. You Got Lucky was released as a single. I never heard that version, but I'm sure it's the same as the album version.

I can't listen to that youtube video becau I'm at work right now but if all the voices are centered in the middle of the mix, then you could try to remove them using the "invert" method, with audacity.

Open the stereo audio.
split the two channels.
set them each of them as mono
"invert" the frequencies of one of them,
then listen if the voices are removed or not (of course some other frequencies could be gone too...)

still using the trial ver of izotope Rx2 advanced with it's insane spectrogram repair- I more than likely can do it with this, just was hoping to avoid that issue

Gatos said:
fixed :-D

"don't come around here no more". Still no luck with any info, but now looking for a better quality copy of the you got lucky video since (if you listen closely) it has that low rate metallic twinge in the background due to a crappy re-encode from youtube

ok just did some work on the part I want. I left some effects (like the rattlesnake) because it felt like it still belongs. Either way here is the original and below my effects removed version

[video=youtube_share;kcFNw2FDzng]

I honestly can't tell a huge difference, but as long as your happy with the result, that's all that matters!

On a semi related note. My parents would frequently use Tom Petty lyrics when poking fun at each other.

A typical exchange would go like this:

Dad (to Mom): You got lucky babe, when I found you.

Mom (to Dad): Even the losers...get lucky sometimes.

Enter Gatos.

"My sister got lucky, married a yuppie
Took him for all he was worth
Now she's a swinger dating a singer
I can't decide which is worse"

Exit stage right.

Neglify said:
Enter Gatos.

"My sister got lucky, married a yuppie
Took him for all he was worth
Now she's a swinger dating a singer
I can't decide which is worse"