• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Tom Hanks' "Four Pretty Good Movies"

Which are the FOUR "pretty good" movies featuring Tom Hanks? (please select 4)

• Splash

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • News of the World

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

• The Post

• Nothing in Common

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Dragnet

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Sully

• The 'Burbs

• Big

• Turner & Hooch

• Joe Versus The Volcano

• A League of Their Own

• Sleepless In Seattle

• Philadelphia

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Forrest Gump

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Apollo 13

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Toy Story (and/or any sequel)

• That Thing You Do!

• Saving Private Ryan

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • You've Got Mail

• The Green Mile

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Cast Away

• Road to Perdition

• Catch Me If You Can

• Captain Phillips

• Bridge of Spies

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • The Polar Express

• The Da Vinci Code (and/or either of its sequels)

• Charlie Wilson's War

• Saving Mr. Banks

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
  • Poll closed .
^I think back in their heyday, Ryan would've been a great 'female Tom Hanks'. Unfortunately, she got tired of that image and tried to break it with the infamous flop In The Cut. Her career kind of tanked after that, and she hasn't really been an actress who leads films since then (she does writing and directing, actually).

Cate Blanchett and Nicole Kidman seem like the best analogs to me. Meryl Streep seems a different level. While Hanks won two consecutive Oscars, I still don’t think of him on that level.

So the poll closes with I'd say mostly predictable results. The Official Four Pretty Good Tom Hanks Movies ARE:

Tied for first with 10 votes apiece: Forrest Gump and Saving Private Ryan.
Next with 9 votes is Apollo 13 (bit of a surprise for me, as I really view this as a "dad movie".)
And of course that pesky 4th film is just too hard to agree on, so we end up with a 3-way tie with 6 votes each for Cast Away, Philadelphia, and Toy Story.

Thanks everyone for chipping in to decide this for the world.

The fact that Philadelphia is not in the top three is, I think, pretty good evidence that people tend to like their Hanks less dramatic. To be sure Apollo and Ryan are plenty dramatic (as is Gump to a degree), but they are not strictly drama.

The fact that Philadelphia is not in the top three is, I think, pretty good evidence that people tend to like their Hanks less dramatic. To be sure Apollo and Ryan are plenty dramatic (as is Gump to a degree), but they are not strictly drama.

The worst thing is, I don't believe that even Tom Hanks puts Philadelphia among his best films.

Personally, my top 3 are Forrest Gump, Save Private Ryan, and The Road to Perdition, honourable mention for Cast Away, I prefer my Tom Hanks to be dramatic.

See and I only think of Perdition to be strictly drama.

az977t980kM3WrfcKwWqrCdFn0I2o68ZJZafVC0D9d-Y-pBx_gKjMVIA9vIskUnYhqdVcoSwH5D8vQ=s640-nd-v1

They grow up so fast...

Back
Top Bottom