• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

ThrowgnCpr's guide to prepping a HD edit in Vegas (ripping & converting from Blu-ray)

TVs Frink said:
Appears to have worked perfectly.  Thanks guys!

giphy.gif

ThrowgnCpr said:
Eac3to works great if you have the Sonic Decoder pack installed.

The Sonic decoder is not required for TrueHD.  Eac3to's built-in TrueHD decoder works fine, even with 7.1.

Frink, if you want to use eac3to, you can.  To decode to wavs and downmix to 5.1.

Code:
eac3to input output -down16

Captain Khajiit said:
The Sonic decoder is not required for TrueHD.  Eac3to's built-in TrueHD decoder works fine, even with 7.1.

hmmm, maybe I need to update my eac3to then. I couldn't get the conversion to execute.

The relevant portion of the log should read like this.

Code:
[a03] Extracting TrueHD stream...
[a03] Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
[a03] Mixing surround channels...
[a03] Remapping channels...

I'm on v3.31, but TrueHD decoding has worked without a commercial decoder for as long as I can remember, and I've been using eac3to for years.

I'll have a closer inspection and report back. Ideally I would like to add this to my tutorial without any paid decoders. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome.  Let me know if you continue to experience problems with the command-line.

ugg, I probably don't need this anymore since I've been using eac3to for most everything, but for my own sanity, does anyone have the BeSweet GUI version: 0.6b61?

I noticed the developer's website is gone, and videohelp doesn't have any past versions archived. There was some loss of functionality with the most recent GUI.

thx.

Newer versions removed the option to output to 6 mono wav files. I found a copy of 0.6 and will create a backup on FE.

Question that I can't seem to find an answer for - ripping a scene from a Blu-ray but want it in SD to match the rest of my sources.  I've got my .ts file loaded into VirtualDub, Lagarith Compression set, and I know I need the resize filter.  I assume I want to resize to 720 x 480, but it keeps changing to 720 x 405.  I assume this is because "same as source" is selected under aspect ratio..  I can select "disabled" and then it lets me use 720 x 480, but is that the right move?

TVs Frink said:
Question that I can't seem to find an answer for - ripping a scene from a Blu-ray but want it in SD to match the rest of my sources.  I've got my .ts file loaded into VirtualDub, Lagarith Compression set, and I know I need the resize filter.  I assume I want to resize to 720 x 480, but it keeps changing to 720 x 405.  I assume this is because "same as source" is selected under aspect ratio..  I can select "disabled" and then it lets me use 720 x 480, but is that the right move?

Yes, that is the right move. Technically, all DVD video, whether fullscreen or widescreen, is anamorphic. The term is usually applied to widescreen, but it refers to non-square pixels. All DVD footage is stored at 720x480 pixels, and if the footage is "fullscreen," the image is squished to 640x480 by your DVD player upon playback. If the footage is "widescreen" the image is stretched to 854x480.

Blu-ray footage is stored with 1:1 pixel aspect ratio (i.e., square pixels. no stretching bullshit). Assuming you don't crop anything, resize your 1920x1080 to 720x480 and set the display aspect ratio to widescreen DVD (you need to do this in Vegas).

Yep, I always remember the widescreen DVD setting in Vegas because you have to do that with SD footage too (since it comes in as square pixel ratio).

Thanks for the confirmation on the 720x480.  And nuKirk thanks you too.  He likes to look his best.

Thanks ThrowgnCpr for this guide. It's proving very useful to me as I've never worked with HD files before. I've hit a snag pretty early on. I was wondering if you had any advice.

So I've ripped the "Full Disc" in the highest settings on DVDfab. I appear to have successfully muxed it too. I have a 26GB .ts file of the film, which I have since converted to an .mkv as detailed here. This is about where I'm stuck because my avisynth skills are weak. I used the template you posted (replacing the location for my file of course) but VirtualDub is having none of it. 

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/moe89/media/work you cunt/error_zpsfunkmkwd.png.html
This is the error message.

DirectShowSource("D:\Blu Ray X3\Muxed X3.mkv", fps=23.976)

And this is the code I saved in Notepad. The fps bit I just copied over from your example. Is this causing the problem? Cause I'm not sure if this would match, but I'm also not sure where to look to check.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, h

I'm guessing a codec issue. Install the k-lite codec pack

Cool. I'll download it now. Thanks!

EDIT: It worked. I have no idea how you know this stuff. I'm baffled lol

Magic?  You ate a talking pony?

That's the only way to get magic, right?

yes. It also does wonders for the moustache.

on-topic: I've been experimenting with new methods for various steps of this tutorial, including some great suggestions by @"Captain Khajiit" I will try to update the first post soon. Seriously. For reals. I swear. maybe.

That would be great. :)

Back
Top Bottom