• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Thor: Love and Thunder

First time in my life I've ever walked out of a film half way through.

Every moment played for laughs, I just felt my heart sink every time something looked like it could be really cool, but then turned into yet another joke.

There are no words.

----

Maybe at some point someone can fix this film by taking all the awful comedy out? Not me though, I can't even watch it, it makes me angry.

First time in my life I've ever walked out of a film half way through.

Every moment played for laughs, I just felt my heart sink every time something looked like it could be really cool, but then turned into yet another joke.

There are no words.

----

Maybe at some point someone can fix this film by taking all the awful comedy out? Not me though, I can't even watch it, it makes me angry.
Yeah that sounds like what I'm hearing across the board. It could be possible to make an edit of it but time will tell.

My first movie I ever walked out of was Uncharted. Disservice to the games and awful action movie in general.

That's pretty much what I gathered from just watching the trailer.

I watched it. It's not great, but not terrible. I wouldn't say it's especially bad if you're into the MCU, and is neither the worst in this franchise, phase, or even the Thor films. Has some funny moments but overall leans too hard into comedy to really land any other emotions. Ragnarok was better balanced.

I like Taika Waititi, most of the new comedy I like and actually laugh at these days has his name on it. And I find attempts at making superheroes completely serious really hard to sit through (I find Snyder's DC films to be entirely joyless for example), so I'm not really worried about it.

I like Taika Waititi, most of the new comedy I like and actually laugh at these days has his name on it. And I find attempts at making superheroes completely serious really hard to sit through (I find Snyder's DC films to be entirely joyless for example), so I'm not really worried about it.
I like a bit of comedy myself. I love the guardians of the galaxy films for example, but what I watched seemed to undermine the characters so completely. In any case if you do enjoy it I'm glad for you 😁

Oh also, I really loved 'our flag means death' so it's not as if I can't appreciate taika waititis style.
😁

I like a bit of comedy myself. I love the guardians of the galaxy films for example, but what I watched seemed to undermine the characters so completely. In any case if you do enjoy it I'm glad for you 😁

Oh also, I really loved 'our flag means death' so it's not as if I can't appreciate taika waititis style.
😁
Totally fair, and I do have to say I somewhat hate the Team Thor short and its sequel short. I forgive a lot in the MCU but thought those went way too far overboard to be considered canon, and he made them I think, so there's still a chance I'll end up agreeing with you.

But keeping my hopes until I see it.

I don't understand people complaining that this comedy movie, directed by a comedic director, has too many jokes. Is it because the overall setting of the movie is the MCU and not a standalone movie? I just can't imagine anyone saying that Our Flag Means Death is a bad pirate series because it was too silly.

Well I saw it and mostly loved it. Mostly.

I laughed some, some jokes didn't land for me as well as in Ragnarok. There's no equivalent to the "piss off, ghost" line, which will always make me laugh even after seeing it a ton. But the emotional stuff in this one resonated with me enough to carry the film when the humor didn't. And I personally accept Thor as a 1500 year old, overpowered, spoiled buffoon who's been hanging with humans for about ten to fifteen of those years and thinks he's already really got the hang of the whole human culture thing. To me that exposure to, and eventual familiarity with, humans kind of accounts for his character changes over time.

There's some unnecessarily goofy junk in here too but that didn't ruin the movie for me.

Natalie Portman rules, glad she finally had something to do in one of these.

It's definitely a movie where you're either on board or not. If you like Ragnarok way more than the first two you'll probably enjoy this as well, if not you probably won't. That's not the only factor but... This isn't a spoilers thread so that's all I got for now.

We're talking about the same Ragnarok that had Korg cracking a joke in front of the Asgardians while their home was being destroyed?

Yeah that one. The line about the foundations? The film was making a joke; Korg wasn't, he was sincere. And the resolution of the story was about how Asgard was its people and not the location, so that never bothered me.

I liked it a whole lot! My only real gripe is that for ALMOST every intense/dramatic scene there was a goofy joke to break the tension. Not every serious moment needed a joke relief. That being said, it was a fun time and while not as good as Ragnarok, I like the new direction they took Thor with introducing the comedy angle. So, where is the overall MCU going from here? No idea after this movie.

I was going to buy a book of bad jokes. Now I can just watch Marvel instead.

Ragnarok was 9/10 in my book and still top-3 of MCU (along Infinity War and Winter Soldier), but this time Waititi's magic just doesn't work too well. I'd say that Bale is probably the best part of the movie, also, scenes with Guns N Roses songs were nice, and the part of the movie with Guardians. beside that, well, Zeus was mostly cringeworthy, and I couldnt care less for the whole Jane Foster's plot.
I will certainly give this movie a second chance and put the Blu-ray on my shelf, but for now, it's just a 6/10 in my book (still better than trainwrecks like Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Shang Chi).

A+, masterpiece, top five MCU for sure, I loved every minute of minute of it, and it was exactly what I wanted and more. :D

Now, granted, that may be a wee bit of recency bias and the high of a great theater screening with friends, but I certainly won't be changing my tune on this one much. It's fan-freaking-80stastic.

I just thought of something. Before the movie they made a point to say Valkyrie would be looking for her queen. Like it would be a cool inclusive plot point. Then the movie comes out and it's not there, and they say there was no time for it. Fair enough. And yet...

Mild spoiler
And yet, Korg, the character played by the director himself, has a voiceover at the beginning and the end, not only has full control over the narrative and can deliver years worth of exposition in seconds, but he also works in his own romantic partner subplot right at the end. Taika for real just said like, "that'd be a cool thing to do... for MY character! Muahahaha!" And the movie is shorter than most other MCU films?

I'm just saying, "there wasn't time" doesn't hold up 100%, I think they actually forgot they said they'd find Valkyrie a queen.

Why bring up if no do?

That narration should have been from Valkyrie.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I do still mostly love it but it's not above criticism by any means.

Last edited:
Man, Ragnarok was my favorite Thor movie. This one was way too comedic. My understanding Thor in the comic was very dark and serious where the comedy comes from?

Back
Top Bottom