• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader ~The Book Cut~

dangermouse said:
I think we need to experience Eustace being a dragon for a while - otherwise it's a bit of a non-event. In the book you're not sure if Eustace is going to remain a dragon forever or not!
You also need to see Eustace learning to be selfless (which he does as the dragon). Once he has learnt his lesson, that is when Aslan calls him and restores him. Only when he (Eustace) is ready and can understand that he needs Aslan to rescue him, however painful that may be.

Alright then I'll go with him being a dragon for the original amount of time in the film and what you said makes sense because it stays true to the book and Eustace's character, even if it's in a different order. With this change though, I'll have to keep most of the film's original structure with the islands order, otherwise Eustace will almost never appear if I choose to change the order in which things happen but keep him a dragon longer. However the green mist, seven swords, and Gale will still be gone from the film, the islands will just play out in the film order without those events.

Is it not possible to rejiggle things around a little, eg the islands after when he becomes a dragon in the order of the book not the film, or condense the Eustace scenes as a Dragon used but played out whist still on the island he became a dragon, if carefully cut you could make it look like they all play out there instead of later especially the scene with Aslan.

lotrjjw said:
Is it not possible to rejiggle things around a little, eg the islands after when he becomes a dragon in the order of the book not the film, or condense the Eustace scenes as a Dragon used but played out whist still on the island he became a dragon, if carefully cut you could make it look like they all play out there instead of later especially the scene with Aslan.

While this was originally what I had in mind and while it had the potential of working, the problem is that Eustace actually loses quite a few scenes doing this, due to the fact that he already became a better person (ex: when Eustace says a remark about the map and narnia being fake on the magician's island) This also makes it harder to show Eustace's character development from selfish to selfless, also if you're saying to have all the parts where he's a dragon happen on the island, it's not really possible because of all the different situations and would also cut short the actual visits to those islands and really make them kind of pointless.

I guess then all we can say is the film makers really messed up on this one in many ways, from technical in the aspect ratio released on the Bluray and the way they mucked the story round so much its hard to actually reconstruct anything close to the book!

lotrjjw said:
I guess then all we can say is the film makers really messed up on this one in many ways, from technical in the aspect ratio released on the Bluray and the way they mucked the story round so much its hard to actually reconstruct anything close to the book!

Yeah, but it's not impossible to make it close to the book, it just takes a lot of work and a lot of patience.

Well I await what you have managed to do, your Prince Caspian edit was good, so Im confident you can get a half decent film out of what is there.

lotrjjw said:
Well I await what you have managed to do, your Prince Caspian edit was good, so Im confident you can get a half decent film out of what is there.

Here's a small update on the progress of the edit:

As of now the edit is still going fairly well and at a good pace, I've gotten a good amount edited of the Magician's Island stuff but I'm unsure what to do with the Lucy being tempted stuff, because while I have cut the shots of the green mist in the room I am still not really sure if I want to keep Lucy ripping the page out and then the scene with her using it later. Do people think I should leave her stealing the page in to show more of her character development or should I just cut it from the film?

If you keep that, you may need to add back the opening scene where she's awkwardly imitating the other girl, putting her hair behind her ear.
Considering you've probably cut quite a lot, maybe keeping this scene is necessary? How much character development does Lucy get otherwise?
I can't remember - is this in the book at all?

dangermouse said:
If you keep that, you may need to add back the opening scene where she's awkwardly imitating the other girl, putting her hair behind her ear.
Considering you've probably cut quite a lot, maybe keeping this scene is necessary? How much character development does Lucy get otherwise?
I can't remember - is this in the book at all?

Well the part where Lucy uses the spell to look like Susan is in the book somewhat, except it's only in the Magician's room and isn't aboard the Dawn Treader. Also in the book, she also uses a spell to spy on her friends, but since that isn't in the movie at all I can't use it. In terms of how much character development Lucy has otherwise, it's not much because the whole character of Gale has been cut from the film, which along with removing the stuff about her wanting to be like Susan makes her really not have much development.

Then I would say keep it. the moving of the scene is not v. important, but it seems like the scene is. Lucy is the counterpoint to Eustace here it seems. She needs to be satisfied with who she is (how she has been made) - Eustace needs to be remade!

dangermouse said:
Then I would say keep it. the moving of the scene is not v. important, but it seems like the scene is. Lucy is the counterpoint to Eustace here it seems. She needs to be satisfied with who she is (how she has been made) - Eustace needs to be remade!

So are you saying to only keep the scenes where Lucy is tempted and steals the page, as well as include the scene at the beginning where she is imitating that other girl or only to include the scenes later on when she steals the page?

Keep as many scenes as you can, I think.
Although... the hair-behind-the-ear scene is maybe not that important - your re-edited opening sis so good it's probably not worth sacrificing the new opening just for that scene.

dangermouse said:
Keep as many scenes as you can, I think.
Although... the hair-behind-the-ear scene is maybe not that important - your re-edited opening sis so good it's probably not worth sacrificing the new opening just for that scene.

Alright, then I'll just add that scene but not the hair behind the ear scene, hopefully that will work out.

So, in my process of editing the film I've run into a bump in the road, particularly with the part where on Magician's Island we meet Coriakin and he talks to everyone about how to vanquish the Green Mist. The problem I'm having is that all his dialogue is about the seven swords and the green mist, which makes most of his scenes unusable in my edit. However, I'm not sure if I should cut most of his scenes or not and there's not much that I can use anyways, the only lines I could use are: when he's talking to the dufflepuds and that's basically it, any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Just stick with the bits about the dufflepuds he is just a supporting character so for him to have less lines isnt a big deal, casual watchers will likely forget him anyway by the end of the film.

lotrjjw said:
Just stick with the bits about the dufflepuds he is just a supporting character so for him to have less lines isnt a big deal, casual watchers will likely forget him anyway by the end of the film.

I could try this, though I'm not 100% sure how this will work as the film would go like this: Coriakin comes talks about the dufflepuds -> then it would go straight to Caspian and co. out at sea again, which would feel like a weird transition and feel like something is missing. Maybe I'll post a test clip to show how it would actually play out.

What does the bit with the map have? It's a while since I have seen it so I can't remember if that has anything useful? Other than that it will have to just go back to whatever comes afterwards.

lotrjjw said:
What does the bit with the map have? It's a while since I have seen it so I can't remember if that has anything useful? Other than that it will have to just go back to whatever comes afterwards.

Well, that scene just has Coriakin talking about the mist saying where they need to go and all, while none that is useful the problem I have is the resolution that his character has, because it feels like we just meet him and then he's gone.

In that case the only bit is the dufflepuds bit, just try as a test video as you said before, people will give feedback I guess, so we will have to see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom