• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Two Towers - The Precious Edition

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DKLR3TT.jpg

Last edited:
Edit won't have that many changed in the end. The scene with merry and pipping drinking water has been removed, as well Merry and Pippins dialogue adjusted after defeating Saruman to match the scene removal.

Also removed them smoking because they also smoke in ROTK in a far better scene. I did leave them finding the tobacco.

All in all a very light edit. I was planning on changing faramir but honestly it's a bad choice. Movie faramir might be completely inaccurate, but it works for the film just fine. Changing it makes the film worse.

So in the end its basically a less-extended edition. Nothing fancy.

Last edited:
Its not tobacco. It's weed. Seriously, why do you think Gandalf is always happy and has squinty red eyes? They didn't have visine in middle earth, Donkey.

In a different thread I say removing a handful of scenes from ZSJL is small potatoes and might not be worth doing for a lot of people, and you come out doing the same for a similarly lengthed movie. Way to prove me wrong lol

Give Donkey a banana and there's no telling what he might do. 🍌 🍌 🍌

In a different thread I say removing a handful of scenes from ZSJL is small potatoes and might not be worth doing for a lot of people, and you come out doing the same for a similarly lengthed movie. Way to prove me wrong lol
Honestly I did this mainly for myself. I figured why not release it for those who feel like there is a fine middle ground between extended and non-extended. Certainly my easiest edit, this one. Particularly easy considering the original soundtrack was actually released in 5.1.

Honestly I did this mainly for myself. I figured why not release it for those who feel like there is a fine middle ground between extended and non-extended. Certainly my easiest edit, this one. Particularly easy considering the original soundtrack was actually released in 5.1.
Yeah I 100% get it, edits should be personal! In the ZSJL context someone was only asking if such an edit exists. But I digress!

I finished the scene with Meryy and Pippin. I love the comedy in this. But since I got rid of the water drinking/Hobbit growing scene I had to tweak the dialogue to not mention it at all.

I also removed the Hobbits smoking, as I feel this is done more effectively in Return of the King. Here there find the tabacco, next movie we see them smoking it. Much more subtle.

The cut to Saruman and Grima after the line about the staff being great is epic af and not in the original, believe it or not lol.

So big change. I was able to make Faramir just a little bit less like his brother. I removed his 'Kingly gift' line, and instead I used a reaction shot to make it appear like he HEARS Frodo mentioning Sauron's eye. This combined with a few slow-mo shots make it appear like it's beginning to dawn on Faramir that he has made a mistake.

This in turn fixes imo the biggest narrative flaw in the original cut: WHY would Faramir send these two away if he doesn't notice this? In my cut it's far more obvious that he realises the reason the hobbits are found is his own doing.

Another thing I fixed is Faramir foreshadowing of how his father will treat him. He now acts with far more agency. We don't need to be told about the laws of his country and father. We will find out soon enough.

This is turning into a bit of a 'save Faramir's character arc' edit now.

1. No 'The ring must go to Gondor' line.
2. No 'Tell him Faramir sends a mighty gift' line.

This way it appears Faramir tags the Hobbits along, simply because he doesn't know what to do about them yet. The moment he realises the dire situation of our Hobbits he releases them.

I kept the violence against Gollum, because IMO it helps Gollum's character arc.

Last edited:

I am torn over this scene where Frodo offers the ring to the Ringwraith.

On one hand, it scores ALL the cool points. On the other hand, it's also a stupid scene lol and obviously never remotely happens in the book. Plus I can seamlessly remove it as you can see here.

I am torn over this scene where Frodo offers the ring to the Ringwraith.

On one hand, it scores ALL the cool points. On the other hand, it's also a stupid scene lol and obviously never remotely happens in the book. Plus I can seamlessly remove it as you can see here.
Replaced the footage with the final version. IMO this greatly improves the pacing, the story and the character development. The Ringwraith doesn't interact with the heroes, it just flies by creating terror and dread like it should. Frodo offering the Ring makes zero sense. Sauron would immediately set Osgiliath ablaze and worst of all in Return of the King he is supposed to think the hobbits have the Ring in Rohan. Two huge plotpoints fixed.

The way the music flows really helps the visuals as well.

Donkey,

With regard to your last clip, I did look at your more detailed post on Reddit. I agree in large part with your logic. However, their defeated behavior is out of place without Sam tackling Frodo and the subsequent tantrum.

Is there a way to keep the scene while removing all instances of Frodo offering the ring? We would only see Frodo appear frozen in front of the Nazgul, the bow and arrow shot, and then Sam's tackle that does not show the ring. Is that feasible without making things look really choppy and disjointed? Obviously, once the ring is shown, Sauron should go fully nuclear after Frodo as you stated. If not possible, then removing it altogether is the better option.

I like the direction your taking by portraying Faramir as more independent and less submissive to his father. Unfortunately, on the clips posted, I am unable to hear any audio of the dialogue - only the music.

Looking forward to the 2/3 LOTR edits unless I missed that you were editing the first one as well. Although I see you do like editing 2/3 of trilogies.

Donkey,

With regard to your last clip, I did look at your more detailed post on Reddit. I agree in large part with your logic. However, their defeated behavior is out of place without Sam tackling Frodo and the subsequent tantrum.

Is there a way to keep the scene while removing all instances of Frodo offering the ring? We would only see Frodo appear frozen in front of the Nazgul, the bow and arrow shot, and then Sam's tackle that does not show the ring. Is that feasible without making things look really choppy and disjointed? Obviously, once the ring is shown, Sauron should go fully nuclear after Frodo as you stated. If not possible, then removing it altogether is the better option.

I like the direction your taking by portraying Faramir as more independent and less submissive to his father. Unfortunately, on the clips posted, I am unable to hear any audio of the dialogue - only the music.

Looking forward to the 2/3 LOTR edits unless I missed that you were editing the first one as well. Although I see you do like editing 2/3 of trilogies.

Hahahaha yes editing fellowship seems futile. It's a flawless film to me.

Regarding their defeated nature, I'm not sure if their behavior feels out of place. I think the only reason it does is because you know what was cut and fill in what's missing with pre-existing knowledge.

If this was the original cut noone would bat an eye, since it's already been established that the presence of the fellbeast makes people cower in fear and panic. They already went on the ground and low when the fellbeast first shows up in the swamps. They Hobbits have now landed in a warzone and are completely powerless in their situation. They fear they might lose the ring for good to these humans. It makes perfect sense for Frodo and Sam to take it harder than the humans around them. Plus Faramir sending the hobbits away after witnessing them trying to give the Ring away is still a bit of a stretch.

Especially when you consider the final war in return of the king and the way Merry and the soldiers scream out in terror it adds context to the scene

I did try cutting it without the ring being offered but it feels choppy and rushed. And it still makes Faramirs choice to.let them go completely absurd.

Last edited:
Watch it on your PC or Laptop. A lot of smartphones can't handle the way Vimeo presents 5.1 audio for some reason.

This edit is completed, a double feature. I wish there was something I didn't like about Fellowship to complete the Precious Trilogy, but alas. It's a too good film.

I made the Ents book accurate! I suddenly saw an edit potential and now. The ENTS decide to go to war at the Entmoot after Treebeard sees the cut down Trees at Isengard. It's REALLY good.

Basically the endmoot now caused by Treebeard witnessing Sarumans towers and the dead trees far earlier in the film.

He screams and we later find out this was to call the Ents for the Entmoot.

This in turn adds to the frustration of the Hobbits as to them its ridiculous that they take so long to decide.

Then treebeard tells them This is their war! And he and all the Ents arrive at Saruman to destroy him at the end of the film.

This solves sooooo many problems with the original. No Deus Ex Ents.

Last edited:
Someone suggested I remove the line about Gimli saying they should stand and fight and their King won't protect them. This downplays Theoden a bit too much and it's also a stupid strategy, and I agreed. So I removed it.

Back
Top Bottom