• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

"The Thing" from 1951

TM2YC said:
The Scribbling Man said:
Okey, here is the opening credits (minus TM2YC's pending titles)

If you are getting anywhere near finished and I need to hurry up, then please tell me to hurry up.

There's no rush currently! I'll let you know if it gets to that point though, thank you :)

Any thoughts on this sequence? Fairly pivotal, but probably a bit far fetched in terms of tech for the period.

assimilation-complete.png

So far I've kept the chess wizard scene in as well, as it's good character development (and funny).

Well they had a noughts and crosses computer evidentally:

tumblr_mihcxqe5qr1qcma3zo1_1280.jpg

I can imagine this being an outpost with ahead-of-their-time prototype computers.

I received this canvas for Christmas:

WTGpzj1.jpg

It shall hang nearby as colourful inspiration for this colourless edit.

Here's a side by side comparison for a scene I was working on yesterday. Two instances of cursing removed, with some shot changes to help cover it visually. Some other visual changes too, which should be noticeable with the two side by side. I think a couple of my panning/zooming choices may be a bit bold but would be good to know how others feel. 

^ Wow, some of the framing you've done here looks so much like 4:3 sci-fi b-movie framing.  I feel like I'm watching a movie from 1951 just because of your compositions.  I'd have never thought a scope movie like this could be cropped so much and not look cropped.  Love the pan/zoom from the gun! and the slow push in on macready's shocked face after he shoots.

The very first shot would better focused on the spider crawling behind macready.  It's one of the less convincing puppets, which looks more like a 50s effect, so lets see it.
00.58 - Looks off because it's a split-diopter shot and would be better focused on the guy speaking anyway.
01.41 - Can I still hear a fragment of "sh*t" being said.  Like "sh".

Some of the technical requirements of a split-diopter shot are having the camera rigidly still, having the actors move as little as possible and definitely not having them cross over the area between the two focal points.  These problems become bonuses for this kind of cropping project as you can split the shots in two horizontally and move them closer together. Feather the join a little and it will look as good, or maybe better than the already blurred join.

I did a mockup on this shot where ideally you'd want more of the knife and macready together.  There are two framing options as an example:

50826656567_5e02e5c222_k.jpg

you were faster TM2YC :)

I was about to suggest a slight pan to left in this shot, maybe steady without easy ins or outs

yvFBnn5.jpg

also, I'm so much digging that gun zoom out!

Thanks, all! That's super helpful feedback :)

TM2YC, I think the "sh" you're hearing is the knife scraping, but I will double-check. 

Visual editing is not something I do very much of at all, so adjusting the split-diopter shot like that never would have occurred to me. I'll take a crack at it!

@"TM2YC" how's this?

That "shh" you heard wasn't a curse word or a knife btw, but it was a stray sound effect. Thanks for spotting it!

^ Looks perfect, you'd never know.

This is wonderful - i adore the split diopter effect...any chance of a tutorial on how you achieved the new shot above . I am always interested in learning a new FX process.

Last Impressions said:
This is wonderful - i adore the split diopter effect...any chance of a tutorial on how you achieved the new shot above . I am always interested in learning a new FX process.

SAME!

Here's one of the more awkward scenes to reframe due to it being mostly a single wide shot - and we need to see all the characters! 
musiced921 said:
Last Impressions said:

SAME!

That was my first time having a go at something like that and I don't know if I did it "the right way" or not. It was TM2YC's suggestion, so he may be better qualified to provide instruction. I felt like the way I did it was a bit awkward, but here was my process in essence (using Magix Vegas):

1. Using the pan/crop feature, I masked out the gap in the widescreen shot while following TM2YC's example image as a guide.
2. I used feathering on the "path" dropdown, so that the edges were softened.
3. I created a new video track and made a copy of the shot so that there were two layers exactly the same.
4. Using the crop and video event tools I moved the images so that they lined up with each other and closed the gap (there was bleed from the below image as well, but I was yet to crop). 
6. Once they were lined up I tweaked the feathering.
7. Then I rendered the shot to a new track to make it a single clip (lossless). 
8. I cropped the rendered shot to 4:3 and focused on the part of the new shot that I wanted.
9. I also adjusted the levels slightly. I felt that by making it a touch darker the feathering was less obvious.

That's some great P&S work, but there's a slight jitter at 0:33

The Scribbling Man said:

musiced921 said:
Last Impressions said:

SAME!

That was my first time having a go at something like that and I don't know if I did it "the right way" or not. It was TM2YC's suggestion, so he may be better qualified to provide instruction. I felt like the way I did it was a bit awkward, but here was my process in essence (using Magix Vegas):

1. Using the pan/crop feature, I masked out the gap in the widescreen shot while following TM2YC's example image as a guide.
2. I used feathering on the "path" dropdown, so that the edges were softened.
3. I created a new video track and made a copy of the shot so that there were two layers exactly the same.
4. Using the crop and video event tools I moved the images so that they lined up with each other and closed the gap (there was bleed from the below image as well, but I was yet to crop). 
6. Once they were lined up I tweaked the feathering.
7. Then I rendered the shot to a new track to make it a single clip (lossless). 
8. I cropped the rendered shot to 4:3 and focused on the part of the new shot that I wanted.
9. I also adjusted the levels slightly. I felt that by making it a touch darker the feathering was less obvious.

Thank you. I didn't expect such a quick reply but its much appreciated. I will save this thread

asterixsmeagol said:
That's some great P&S work, but there's a slight jitter at 0:33

Thanks for spotting that. I'll look into what's going on there.

Seconding @"Last Impressions" with the thank you Scrib!

Here's a version of the climax, reframed and re-scored. The shots in this are very close, so it's hard not to make framing/panning look awkward. Will be good to know how it sits with people.

Main changes:
  • 4:3
  • B & W
  • Removed original 80's synth
  • Re-scored with music from 1950's B movie
  • Cut shot of dog bursting out of flesh
  • Cut "Yeah? F*** you too!" (sadly)

Bonus points if you can guess where the music is from. It's a patchwork, but it's all from the same film.

Does anyone know where the deleted scenes for The Thing that are on YouTube come from? They don't appear to be listed on the special features of any editions that I can see (at least not HD ones), which is frustrating. I just saw a clip that showed alternate stop motion footage of the creature which could be really helpful for the above scene, both in looking older and also because the shots are much wider.

See here at 0:45:

The Scribbling Man said:
Does anyone know where the deleted scenes for The Thing that are on YouTube come from? They don't appear to be listed on the special features of any editions that I can see (at least not HD ones), which is frustrating.

Hi Scrib, I found an alternative video of this scene on YouTube which had 99 comments. According to them it is off a DVD release although others mention it being discussed in a documentary. Potentially this footage is part of another special feature? If it is only available on a DVD then perhaps you could try to upscale it? I believe topaz lab's still have their free trial and it worked wonders on the Phantom Menace deleted scenes.

Here's the link to the video:

And the comment:

QacXL59.jpg

Back
Top Bottom