• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

"The Thing" from 1951

Is Vegas crashing conatantly with those 100 layers?!?! Mine starts to struggle once I hit 10-15 layers. You must have a powerhouse rig.

Is Vegas crashing conatantly with those 100 layers?!?! Mine starts to struggle once I hit 10-15 layers. You must have a powerhouse rig.

Vegas crashes constantly whether I have 1 or 100, haha, so I haven't noticed a difference. Obviously, not all these layers are active at the same time, and I am frequently muting and unmuting as I work on different things. A lot of it is audio, which is less demanding on resources, and I am working on three different audio versions simultaneously within the project. This isn't my final project either, just my base one. After the main bit of editing is done, I bounce the tracks down in groups and do further tweaks to audio in another post-project file, which is also where I merge some portions that have been edited separately.

Some of the visual layers are where i've done a lot of masking, and once these are done I normally pre-render as a clip, then mute the channels and put them in a collapsed group. That keeps vegas from freaking out on playback, but keeps the work to hand if I want to revisit the segment.

As for rig, I'm using the Predator Helios that Addiesin recommended when I was chatting to you both. It has an i7-11800H processor, 16GB ram and NVIDIA RTX 3060 graphics. It's a nice upgrade from my last machine and is serving me considerably better, though i don't think i've ever experienced vegas not struggling to some extent.

Edit: I think you also work directly with the m2ts file, is that right? I must admit I've not been able to do that without a lot of frustration in vegas. I work in lagarith lossless, which is also demanding on the software, but for some reason seems to run a lot smoother for me than directly reading DVD or blu-ray files out the box.

The Blade Runner intro I made had about 20-30 video tracks and gave Vegas fits. Can only imagine what you're running into. There are some tutorials on YouTube about calibrating Vegas to better utilize your cpu, gpu and ram. One of the main things to do is to turn off the visual previews on video tracks themselves (the little video preview image that shows up on the timeline on the video track at the ends and in the middle of the video track). Vegas has to render each of these images constantly when you scroll sideways or zoom in/out. I'm thinking of snagging the Video ProX 12 humblebundle to see if it holds up to Vegas Pro. I stick with Vegas Pro for the masking and audio editing interface. If Magix retains that portion in VPX then I'm willing to migrate over. Woth the calibration to Vegas though, I have very few crashes these days.

I did use lagarith AVI for HttF (source file was 300gb in size) but honestly couldn't tell the difference in quality from when I used a 1:1 m2ts file on RotR so I did start using the m2ts as the source. Vegas started having issues with m2ts files so I switched over to creating a 1:1 MP4 using MakeMKV and avidemux. I don't have nearly as many issues with source files anymore and Vegas seems to run pretty well as long as I don't have chrome open with a billion tabs😅. I honestly don't ever have time to edit anymore (attempting to be a better parent/partner) so most of my editing is just opening a project file and trying to remember where I left off and realizing that I need to sleep once I get into the groove of what comes next. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ while I don't consider myself old, I'm definitely not a youngling anymore and trying to manage obsession and real life responsibility. Most edits are for my kids or family these days. If they can't enjoy it or if they wouldn't be interested in it I just can't justify it.....oh no, that took a tangential turn. Sorry for the highjack! 🙃 I always enjoy reading your project threads and seeing your process and progress.

One of the main things to do is to turn off the visual previews on video tracks themselves (the little video preview image that shows up on the timeline on the video track at the ends and in the middle of the video track). Vegas has to render each of these images constantly when you scroll sideways or zoom in/out.

rob lowe GIF

I'm thinking of snagging the Video ProX 12 humblebundle to see if it holds up to Vegas Pro. I stick with Vegas Pro for the masking and audio editing interface. If Magix retains that portion in VPX then I'm willing to migrate over.

Vegas used to be sony, so I'm guessing Prox is Magix' actual own NLE? Have you heard good things? I think it would take a lot for me to switch from vegas. I'm just so comfortable with the interface now.

I did use lagarith AVI for HttF (source file was 300gb in size) but honestly couldn't tell the difference in quality from when I used a 1:1 m2ts file on RotR so I did start using the m2ts as the source.

Although quality is a factor, it's less so for me than it is to do with the processing i do - rendering time and time again. Without a lossless file I leave myself vulnerable to glitches and a possible visible drop in quality. Tbh, I still get glitches with a lossless file, but not nearly so often. With lossy sources I've often had scrambled imagery rendering or dropped frames. I wouldn't have been able to do my animation for Jason B+ with a lossy source, I don't think.

I honestly don't ever have time to edit anymore (attempting to be a better parent/partner) so most of my editing is just opening a project file and trying to remember where I left off and realizing that I need to sleep once I get into the groove of what comes next. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ while I don't consider myself old, I'm definitely not a youngling anymore and trying to manage obsession and real life responsibility. Most edits are for my kids or family these days. If they can't enjoy it or if they wouldn't be interested in it I just can't justify it.....

It's sad you're less able to edit now, but real life is more important and surprisingly easy to forget. Family should definitely be a priority.

oh no, that took a tangential turn. Sorry for the highjack! 🙃 I always enjoy reading your project threads and seeing your process and progress.

That's perfectly fine! And I love your family-focused approach to editing. Long may it prosper :)

I've been visiting a friend in America and they wanted to see this project of mine with me before I flew back to the UK. So this evening I screened where the edit was at. Hadn't touched it in months, but seeing it reminded me that it's not all that far off. Realistically, I could maybe knuckle down with it in January, and hopefully get it released by March (hopefully - just good to set goals, ya know?). Basically just need to finish up the foley for the rescored scenes and then it's tedious stuff like cutlist, rendering, proofing etc. The final product is still expected to have 5 audio options. But only two of them have been a huge pain in the ass.

late response but have you tried very slightly blurring the TV's back and stabalizing the source shot?

I believe I did, yes. I get mixed results with stablisation in vegas and I seem to recall it not doing what I wanted. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I got a 4k UHD Blu-ray player on Black Friday and decided to break it in by watching The Thing. This movie is just so great, and I'm still really looking forward to this edit when you get the time to finish it.

I've been visiting a friend in America and they wanted to see this project of mine with me before I flew back to the UK. So this evening I screened where the edit was at. Hadn't touched it in months, but seeing it reminded me that it's not all that far off. Realistically, I could maybe knuckle down with it in January, and hopefully get it released by March (hopefully - just good to set goals, ya know?). Basically just need to finish up the foley for the rescored scenes and then it's tedious stuff like cutlist, rendering, proofing etc. The final product is still expected to have 5 audio options. But only two of them have been a huge pain in the ass.
Yyyyyou left the Tower of Flints and came over here to our wonderful country?

Yyyyyou left the Tower of Flints and came over here to our wonderful country?

I did indeed. Was visiting a friend in Indiana. Also holidayed for a week in rural Wisconsin and paid a couple of visits to Chicago.

This is 99% finished. I feel like prepping for release is still quite a bit of work, but aside from one audio bug that I need to sort on the main track - this is done. That includes the full rescore, the partial rescore, the isolated score, the 1980s surround track, and my first attempt at a faneditor's commentary. Some other responsibilities are creeping up after an initial lull, and I would really like to do another couple of promo vids for this, so I still don't foresee it dropping until Feb at the earliest, but I felt an update was probably due.

Thanks for the update. I know this has been one of my most closely followed edits and I hope you've come to a satisfactory completion and are happy with the results. Looking forward to seeing the end result whenever its done.

I am going to officially set the release date for this for March 5th 2023.

Promo and poster incoming. I will also update the OP soon so that it reflects how the concept has evolved from where things started. Thanks all for your patience. Excited to finally get this out there!

Edit: Here's a poster:

Thing-from-1951-poster-13-2-23.jpg

Based on this poster for The Thing from Another World:

MV5BOTU3MzgyYjktMzM5Yi00MjlhLWI3YTItYmIyYTc0YjNlZDRiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ2MTMzODA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Last edited:
OP has been updated with the poster, as well as the trailer I shared some time ago. Original post has been archived and info now reflects the new concept.

Another trailer and at least either a demo reel or example clip will follow sometime this month.

I am going to officially set the release date for this for March 5th 2023.

Promo and poster incoming. I will also update the OP soon so that it reflects how the concept has evolved from where things started. Thanks all for your patience. Excited to finally get this out there!

Edit: Here's a poster:

Thing-from-1951-poster-3-2-23.jpg

Based on this poster for The Thing from Another World:

MV5BOTU3MzgyYjktMzM5Yi00MjlhLWI3YTItYmIyYTc0YjNlZDRiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ2MTMzODA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

A glimpse into another world.

So excited for this! I'm that one person who prefers the original 1955 Thing so bringing the Carpenter one closer to that aesthetic sounds like a real blast.

BTW, just a small heads-up about your awesome poster, it should be "John Carpenter's" not "John Carpenters' ". (Once a copy-editor, always a copy-editor, I'm afraid...)

Recently I lost some data from a drive that failed. Some but not all of it was backed up, and less than I thought apparently. The final version of this edit was completed and uploaded ready for the release day and so is safe, though I have lost a pre-rendered lagarith file that I was working from, among other little bits. So if people recommend changes post-release there may be a limit to what I can do.

I was also nearly finished on an extended alt vintage trailer, which was going to mirror and be directly compared to the original Thing from Another World trailer. That's now been set back significantly. I'm currently weighing up if I have the capacity to redo that work or if the current trailers are all there will be.

Back
Top Bottom