• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The problem with modern color grades...

What happened to it?
The new 4K has greater fidelity and some improvement on resolution...howeverthey masacred the color grade.

Gordon Wilis was quite specific that the grade is "4 parts yellow to 1 part red" and he shot the film so they could not pump up the Gamma back in the phot-chemical days...but they have done just that, removed much of the "yellow patina" and made it feel far more contemporary.

I'm working on a short documentary...for the most part it was a regrade of the 4K scan made in 2007, with a few tiny segments of newly discovered useable negative since the existing master film print is an assembly from the best surviving material assembled from round the world...Watch the 2007 extras and then the 2022 extras and you'll see what I mean...

TRAGIC

I hated what they did to the Matrix. Adding the green hue really ruined the look of it for me.
It did look terrible, but I think the newest transfer got rid of it unless I'm confusing it with something else.

The new 4K has greater fidelity and some improvement on resolution...howeverthey masacred the color grade.

Gordon Wilis was quite specific that the grade is "4 parts yellow to 1 part red" and he shot the film so they could not pump up the Gamma back in the phot-chemical days...but they have done just that, removed much of the "yellow patina" and made it feel far more contemporary.

I'm working on a short documentary...for the most part it was a regrade of the 4K scan made in 2007, with a few tiny segments of newly discovered useable negative since the existing master film print is an assembly from the best surviving material assembled from round the world...Watch the 2007 extras and then the 2022 extras and you'll see what I mean...

TRAGIC
Yeah it's improved from before. Do share the short documentary and with us on which you are working.

Last edited:
Yeah it's improved from before. Do share the short documentary with us on which you are working.
It's on pause at the moment since I'm going to be away from my PC for a few weeks...but that doesnt stop me editing in the form of "pen and paper"....

Back
Top Bottom