• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Phantom Strikes! HD Redux

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DTPSHDR-NOW-ON-IFDb.png

banner.png

Original Movie Title:
full

The Phantom
Genre:
Action
Adventure
Superheroes
Fanedit Type:
FanFix
Original Release Date:
Original Running Time:
Fanedit Release Date:
January 2023
Fanedit Running Time:
Time Cut:
Time Added:
Available in HD?
Yes

Brief Synopsis:
The Phantom, the Ghost Who Walks, must stop the demented Xander Drax from obtaining the mystical Skulls of Touganda. If obtained Drax would contain the power to rule the world.

Intention:
To create an HD revisited edition of BionicBob's excellent The Phantom Strikes! edit.

Other Sources:
Horse galloping through brush sfx
Biplane engine/flight noise
Official novel scans for poster

Special Thanks:
BionicBob for creating the original cut and for being a fantastic faneditor and all the positive energy and encouragement
Skyled
lapis molari
Spence

Editing Details:
By approval, this is an HD redux of @bionicbob's The Phantom Strikes! edit using the official Blu Ray release of the movie. Nearly every cut will be replicated as faithfully as possible with slight variations to suit personal preference and taste.
BionicBob's edit was used on the timeline to sync up visual cuts and to reference audio cuts/transitions.

Cuts and Additions:
--Signifies original BionicBob cut
-+Signifies a hybrid approach to BionocBob's original cuts in a scene
++Additional divergent cuts

--Origin prologue gone
++New The Phantom Oath warning screen, Vintage WB style FE card, Custom Paramount Pictures period based card
++New opening credits (used the ending vista shots as the new intro)
--cut telegraphed elbow hit to kid
++cut camera zoom in on bridge
++removed Morgan's corny "but then again" line
--reworked the bridge scene
++Removed slowmo swinging scene
--cut all Patrick McGoohan scenes
--cut Diana listing all the crimes Quill committed
--reworked the plane to horse stunt
--cut bad edit of Quill after truck crashes
--cut Diana appears to be fainting
--cut the toothpaste line
--cut Drax inspecting the wall after pulling out spear
-+cut some of Drax's dialogue during museum/Skull power scene (going to cut a tad bit more of Drax over the topness; retained the "the skulls have spoken line")
-+couple small trims in Drax's office during his exchange with Kit (rearranged dialogue)
-+reworked the elevator/guns/decent sequence
-+trimmed flight to Sengh Island
--trimmed Drax dialogue during arrival in cave
--couple of dialogue trims during Drax's meeting with the Sengh Brotherhood
--reworked the cannon shooting the gangster
++couple of Drax dialogue trims during final fight with the Phantom and removed the happy sounding yell before Drax disintegrates
--created brief origin flashback (due to the 29.976fps of the edit version I have, I had to match the time vs matching frames. as a result it feels a little bit faster than the edit)
++cut end credits (created custom period based Paramount Pictures "The End" card)
++cut language from the film

Last edited:
My requests are keep the end credits visuals and music. Maybe do a version that's the original widescreen and color and a separate vintage fullscreen b&w cut? Or even 3 versions: one color widescreen, one b&w widescreen, one vintage? As wonderful as Bob's version is, sometimes I wish that it maintained the gorgeous visuals of the original.

Are you using @bionicbob 's audio? That'd save time. Or is there meaningful improvement to be gained by using the blu-ray audio from scratch?

My requests are keep the end credits visuals and music. Maybe do a version that's the original widescreen and color and a separate vintage fullscreen b&w cut? Or even 3 versions: one color widescreen, one b&w widescreen, one vintage? As wonderful as Bob's version is, sometimes I wish that it maintained the gorgeous visuals of the original.
Thanks for the recommendations. I think the color and B&W versions are totally doable. By vintage do you mean 4:3 and with film artifacts?

Are you using @bionicbob 's audio? That'd save time. Or is there meaningful improvement to be gained by using the blu-ray audio from scratch?
I was going to, but the file I have is a straight rip of the dvd I believe and the video is encoded at 29.97fps. I can't really remember how to go through and correct all of that. I did drop it into the timeline to try and do a straight 1:1 shot for shot/frame for frame project flow, but the FPS shot that in the foot. I'll probably just do the whole thing from scratch and have it loaded up in another window to do frame checks in the frame rate it's encoded in and then compare it to the blu ray source I'm using.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think the color and B&W versions are totally doable. By vintage do you mean 4:3 and with film artifacts?
My mistake: I was thinking that Bob's Phantom edit was cropped to fullscreen for the vintage feel, but that was actually his Shadow Strikes edit (which was from the fullscreen DVD). As far as the vintage look, it's possible that when you convert the bluray to b&w it might look too pristine and a bit of grain and artifacts might help.

Bob's edit is in widescreen. The opening scenes have some 4:3 stuff in it, but that's just the logos. The movie itself kicks in to widescreen as soon as it goes to the truck interior.

@bionicbob are you ok if I add the ending vista shots at the beginning? I'll use the Phantom in his throne as the FE warning shot if so.

@bionicbob are you ok if I add the ending vista shots at the beginning? I'll use the Phantom in his throne as the FE warning shot if so.

This is your fan edit my friend, you can do whatever you want. :)
I will say, my only regret, and I would strongly recommend for Black & White, is reframing it 4x3.

This is your fan edit my friend, you can do whatever you want. :)
I will say, my only regret, and I would strongly recommend for Black & White, is reframing it 4x3.
Thanks bob! Well, if you're one regret was the reframing, then I will make it so ;)

Made some time to edit this evening/early morning....yikes!

Here's what's been left untouched (regular text) and what is being slightly altered (orange text) based on bionicbob's original cut list

--Origin prologue gone
--New The Phantom Oath warning screen, Vintage WB style FE card, Custom Paramount Pictures period based card
--New opening credits (used the ending vista shots as the new intro)
--cut telegraphed elbow hit to kid
--reworked the bridge scene (see posted clip)
--cut all Patrick McGoohan scenes
--cut Diana listing all the crimes Quill committed
--reworked the plane to horse stunt
--cut bad edit of Quill after truck crashes
--cut Diana appears to be fainting
--cut the toothpaste line
--cut Drax inspecting the wall after pulling out spear
--cut some of Drax's dialogue during museum/Skull power scene (going to cut a tad bit more of Drax over the topness; retained the "the skulls have spoken line")
--couple small trims in Dax's office during his exchange with Kit
--reworked the elevator/guns/decent sequence
--trimmed flight to Sengh Island
--trimmed Draz dialogue during arrival in cave
--couple of dialogue trims during Drax's meeting with the Sengh Brotherhood
--reworked the cannon shooting the gangster
--couple of Drax dialogue trims during final fight with the Phantom (going to try and remove the happy sounding yell before Drax disintigrates)
--created brief origin flashback (due to the 29.976fps of the edit version I have, I had to match the time vs matching frames. as a result it feels a little bit faster than the edit)
--cut end credits (created custom period based Paramount Pictures "The End" card)

The v1 widescreen version will hopefully be wrapped up by the end of the week. If there are any requests. I'll plan to do a v2 pan & scan.

I'm going to add a poll to see what people want in terms of the film effects

Really excited about this! The original is a great edit of a super underrated movie.

My vote would be B&W only, but I'd also love to see a color version. The cinematography of this film is really quite gorgeous, so cropping it will lose some of that. I like the idea of a cropped version to make it feel like an old serial, but I think both options should exist.

I rendered out a preview file and minus some flash frames and some audio transitons that I want to clean up, it's super close.

I did make another source video file using movie rescuer and tsmuxer instead of makemkv (the make mkv one has stuttering/repeated frames and dropped frames for some reason). The new source is about 3 frames different, but has new stutters and dropped frames......sigh. Super frustrating as enerything else is pretty much ready to go. Might be able to mess around with it this evening or it will have to wait until next weekend.

I finally reprepped all of my files and restarted this edit (makemkv>tsmuxer=m2ts; mkv>audacity=6 pcm surround channels). The visual edits are done and I'm about half way through the audio editing. Also trying to whip up a trailer in hopes of finishing this up tomorrow evening for a January release. I also found a great high quality scan of the official movie novel that I've used for the poster (updated on OP).

Thanks for the patience everyone! Life was in full swing last week and then I got hit with a sick bug over the weekend. The edit is available through the usual request chain at my website. The render is 12.9gb encoded at 22mbps. I used terabox on this one and segmented it into 45 300mb partitions.

And for everyone's patience, here is the fantastic closing credits music for all you David Newman fans out there.

Well, it looks like terabox won't let you download files over 100mb on your pc without their download client.......I always wondered why they gave away 1tb free space....Anyway, I'm going to to upload to mega to eliminate that barrier, though you'll have to be patient with the download quotas from mega. Sorry to everyone for the inconvenience.

Well, it looks like terabox won't let you download files over 100mb on your pc without their download client.......I always wondered why they gave away 1tb free space....Anyway, I'm going to to upload to mega to eliminate that barrier, though you'll have to be patient with the download quotas from mega. Sorry to everyone for the inconvenience.
What happened to using zippyshare?

Back
Top Bottom